Should I get this song?

WWJD46129

Jun 9, 2007
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's this song I like, but I'm worried it would be a sin to buy it off iTunes. It's called Black Metal by Venom, Venom is technically the most famous satanic band out there. And although I don’t agree with any of their songs, the only one I like is Black Metal. I decided to ask you guys: what is the right thing to do?

GeraldNC

~Simply amazed by Him~
May 29, 2007
NC
✟8,596.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't say it's a sin, but I can say it's not a "good" thing or a smart thing to buy and support such music...or such messages. Think about it that way. By buying the record, off itunes or not, you are support a message that is an exact opposite of God's message. Do you think God would be happy?

Upvote 0

jaschem

May 8, 2007
✟15,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't say it's a sin, but I can say it's not a "good" thing or a smart thing to buy and support such music...or such messages. Think about it that way. By buying the record, off itunes or not, you are support a message that is an exact opposite of God's message. Do you think God would be happy?
I have to agree.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I would say don't buy it. Because the satan could try to use that song to get into your head.To infulence you to listen to some of their other songs.If it's that type of band don't listen to any of their music.

WWJD??

Upvote 0

llc

Aug 23, 2006
✟15,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is something you need to decide for yourself. But before you do think about this:

Romans 12:2 says "Don't conform to the behaviors and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you; which is good and pleasing and perfect."

By purchasing this song, are you copying the behaviors of this world? Will this allow God to transform you into a new person, willing to do His will?

Another thing to think about is if this action could possible cause someone else to sin. What if someone you attend church with hears you listening to this song? What effect will this have on that person's behavior? Will they fall into sin because of your example? 1 Corinthians 8 talks about eating the meat sacrificed to idols, but verse 12 can be used, I believe, in everyday life. It states that when we sin against our brother, causing him to stumble, it is a sin against Christ.

Please forgive me if this seems to be "holier than thou." I just want you to think about what the possible consequences could be before you buy this song. Hugs!

Service in Christ,
llc

Upvote 0

Babel Fish

Jan 2, 2006
Minnesota
✟15,580.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There's this song I like, but I'm worried it would be a sin to buy it off iTunes. It's called Black Metal by Venom, Venom is technically the most famous satanic band out there. And although I don’t agree with any of their songs, the only one I like is Black Metal. I decided to ask you guys: what is the right thing to do?

Honestly, shut up. Buying a song, regardless of the style, is not a sin. I hate how people associate music with something angry, violent, or evil. Music has absolutely no negative conotations whatsoever. It is the people writing the stupid lyrics that have the anger problems, and the people that listen to it.

Upvote 0

llc

Aug 23, 2006
✟15,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, shut up. Buying a song, regardless of the style, is not a sin. I hate how people associate music with something angry, violent, or evil. Music has absolutely no negative conotations whatsoever. It is the people writing the stupid lyrics that have the anger problems, and the people that listen to it.

No one hear is saying that music itself is a sin. God loves music - how can that be sinful? What we're saying is that others may view that particular song as an indecent message. In turn, it could cause some people to stray. That is sinful.

My husband is a musician through and through. Listens to all kinds of music. He also teaches guitar, and his students are constantly bringing music for him to teach that he does not agree with lyrically. As a witness to these people, my husband will not teach those songs. Instead he finds music with a similar style. It's up to the student then to learn their preferred song using the techniques they learned, if they choose. And no, not all of the music my husband chooses is in the Christian genre.

You can like a particular type of music, but as a follower of Christ, you need to determine how your actions are going to influence others - both believers and non-believers alike.

I noticed you quote Romans 12:2 in your signature. That passage is more than just some pretty words.

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"Satanic" in popular music is a stylistic genre like pop, klesmer or techno--it's an artificial package the music is placed into, not something inherent in the music itself. If you don't object to the song, and if you know where your money will be going (ie: this band might donate it to charity or put it all up their nose) and you don't object to that, then don't worry about labels and buy the song.

edit: having now looked up the lyrics of the song...eh. I can see why it would be called "satanic" but I wouldn't call it such. Either way, there's nothing magical about it. It's not like Personified Evil is going to invade your computer via the ethernet cable if you buy a song. Obviously, if you like the song then you've already listened to it. I still say buy it or not--it's a matter of taste. I wouldn't, but for reasons having to do with art.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eleknar

May 10, 2007
South Bend, IN
✟15,517.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally Posted by Never2Die

This is so incorrect. Before I got saved I was a Satanist. Do you know what led me into Satanism? The music that I was listening to. Music is a very powerful thing, and this is so evident. Just think about how you feel when you listen to a song that you really like. Or when you listen to praise and worship type music. You can FEEL the effects of the music in your life. It's ignorant to say that music has no effect on anything. This is simply not true.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2007
Australia
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is so incorrect. Before I got saved I was a Satanist. Do you know what led me into Satanism? The music that I was listening to. Music is a very powerful thing, and this is so evident. Just think about how you feel when you listen to a song that you really like. Or when you listen to praise and worship type music. You can FEEL the effects of the music in your life. It's ignorant to say that music has no effect on anything. This is simply not true.
I agree with this. You listen to sad music, it will often make you sad. Music is an emotive art, and therefore will stir emotions.
We need to be careful what music we choose to listen too.

Upvote 0

EternallyPierced

Jesus, I am so in love with you.
May 25, 2006
South Carolina, US
✟19,053.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That fact that the music is satanic is reason enough not to listen to it, regardless of whether you like the lyrics or the beat. God doesn't want us to have anything to do with Satan. Nothing. Period.

God Bless! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oxmariannexo

Oct 22, 2007
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmm. That could be said for many things.

"If you wanna get high, smoke a drug, it won't kill ya or damn ya to hell"

"If you don't like that person, beat them up, it won't kill ya or damn ya to hell"

"If you wanna get drunk, do it, it won't kill ya or damn ya to hell"

Be careful. It might not "kill ya" or "damn ya to hell" but it could lead to things which might. That's a wrong train of thought to have. It's where back sliding starts. I know. I've been there. I started taking drugs, why? I thought 'I smoke cigarettes, I want a bigger rush" Each drug led to a more dangerous and more lethal drug. Thankfully by God's grace the cycle was ended. Some people never get out of it.

Upvote 0