Should I CONVERT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imablessed1

Jun 26, 2006
✟7,614.00
Faith
Baptist
I am a Baptist, born and raised. I'm 19 years old. I definitly GLORIFY God in my everyday life. BUT, not to long ago I was asked, by a Non Baptist, what my top 10 Tentets are? I was clueless! It made me question my own beliefs or lack there of. I stay faithful to my Baptist church on Sundays (its a very old school style- hyms, very structured) , but on Wednesday I have been going to a Non Denominational church. Which is very different (healings, speaking in tongues, lifting and waiving your arms, actual PRAISE music). At the NoN-Dom church I recently accepted the Baptism of the Holy Spirit in evidence of speaking in tongues in an attempt to connect better with God. I even witnessed first hand some healing miracles, but in my head all i could do is think as a Baptist and try and proove to myself that it wasn't real. Naturally, I feel that I am getting more from the Non Dom church, BUT I'm not sure about all of their beliefs. I have constanly been praying about this matter and I have been digging in my Bible for scriptures to prove to me which is the most Biblical and which i should belive. I ask, beg, plead for your help!

Aitesseme

Jun 5, 2006
✟7,677.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow. How ironic. I'm in a pentecostal church where there are healings, speaking in tongues, spirit slayings, etc. (It's just like the church you've described sounds.) I'm a bit uncomfortable with it. I'm looking for a nice, quiet baptist church to go to. Can we exchange? :D

Not everything they practice in my church is completely biblical. There have even been a few instances where guest pastors would take bible verses out of context to prove their point and our pastor would say nothing against it. In fact, yesterday's sermon was the first normal sermon in a month. That's why I want to move. I'd advise you to stay in the baptist church. In the end it's your choice, though. Maybe you should ask the pastor at the non-denom church about their doctrine so you'll be able to make your choice better.

God bless. :hug:

Upvote 0

CrazyforYeshua

Blessed by the Best!!
Dec 4, 2005
Ohio
✟11,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It all depends on who is more Biblical. What they sing doesn't matter.
I lean more towards a church that is alive, filled with the Spirit, who allows God to move when He wants to minister to His church. He has shown Himself to you, given you His Power, I say go for it.
As far as "tenets", the Word says study to show yourself approved, and to always have an answer-maybe the Bpatist church isn't giving you that answer.

Upvote 0
T

TrustingmyLord

I grew up Baptist. During my teen years my mother stopped going. She was very, very devoted to God and felt there was much with the Baptist church that wasnt fully what God intended.

Being from the south, dont know if its like this everywhere, alot of the Baptist churches around here... well, people are a bit snooty, the atmosphere is a bit stale, and it seems more like a fashion show than a house of worship. Lots of gossip as well. (Not ALL Baptist churches of course, I have been to a few nice ones.)

My mother went in search of a church that was more Bible related. Sounds ironic, huh? I had fallen away from God at this time, moved out, I didnt go to church with her. She passed away when I was 21.

Yes, I do have a point here.... when I came back to God, I remembered my mothers issues and beliefs and I felt I really needed a Biblical church. I tried out quite a few.

I found one pentacostal/non-denom, and I stayed there for a few months. I came to find it very, very unBiblical. While I am positive there are pentacostals out there that are in search of truth and doing Gods will and all, for the most part I found it very fake.

There is a middle ground. Really! I have now been at my church 3 years and although it is a non-denom, it is far from Pentacostal, and far from stale! We go totally by the Bible, yet we worship, lift hands, have fellowship. I like it here alot.

I do have some scriptures I'd like to share, but first I'll post this and go in search of my notes.

Reactions: heapshake
Upvote 0
T

TrustingmyLord

If someone asked me what my top 10 tenets were, I'd be clueless. There is no magic formula to get you to Heaven, (you know what I mean) and it sounds almost legalistic to me that someone expects you to spout out a list of beliefs to prove you are a Christian or something.

I have a book recomendation for you, its Charismatic Chaos and here is a link where you can read the first chapter.
http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/CHAOS1.HTM

There are other chapters available online as well.

Ok, now to my beliefs. (Please, no one throw anything at me!)
Speaking in tongues is evidince of NOTHING. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that if you are truly saved you will speak in tongues.

1 Cor 12:8-10
For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

We do not all get tongues. This is so very clear, we do not all get the same gifts.

In 1 Corinthians 12, Paul is very distressed with this church because they have all become obsessed with wanting tongues and they are using them in the wrong way and for the wrong reasons. Its a good book to read, 1 Cor.

Chapter 14:18-19
I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

He is grateful for his gift, as well he should be, surely he found it quite useful in his travels... that is why God gave him this gift.

19Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
But I would much rather speak a few words with understanding, so I might teach others, than a bunch of words no one understands.
Notice he says "In the church." Tongues were not so relevant within the church, but rather for witnesing.

27-28
27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
If ANY MAN speak. Not every man COULD. Here he limits them. ORDER. Not chaos. Not everyone speaking in tongues at once.
28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
If there is no interpreter, they may not speak... but to himself, or God, for there was no use.

I have this friend who is Pentacostal. As I said, I am sure there are many Pentacostals going by Gods word, however, my friend has been caught up in MANY false doctrines. Its all about the experience, not doctrine. If I show her a Bible verse that teaches something, such as the teaching that the love of money is the root of all evil and we are to stay away from it... (her fave tv preacher preaches the prosperity gospel, that its GODS WILL for us all to be filthy rich and have possesions) I can show her loads of scripture to the contrary... I have even showed her that this one tv guy is a false prophet by the Bible tests for a false prophet and all she will say to me is... "If you could FEEL it, you'd understand."

I dont care WHAT a person feels or experiences, if it is CONTRARY to the Bible, its NOT of God. Plain and simple.

I dont mean to say, of course, that a persons walk with God should b solemn and serious all the time. Yes, we should shout out in praise to God, yes, we should get excited about God..

Just remember that the MOST important thing is Biblical truth.

John 10:27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

James 1:22-26 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.

2 Cor. 11:3 "But I am afraid, lest as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds should be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ."

I believe we must contantly be open to the Bible and stay in it to keep us true to Gods word. If you hear something and you are unsure, look into the Bible. ALWAYS. That and prayer. Pray that God will lead you to the church he wants you to be at.

When I came back to God, I told you I tried out many churches. I stayed at one for 6 months. It was FULL of false doctrines. (The pope is the antichrist, etc) Yet I fully believe God led me to that church. Why?? Because it launched me into a very serious Bible study and a love for the truth. I learned that I can be wrong, others can be wrong, but the Bible is never wrong.

I pray that God will lead you!

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whether or not you should switch churches isn't something that a message board can help you with really. At least not if you are attending both of them and know what both of them teach. You will find people that speak vehemently against all aspects of both churches and do more to confuse the issue than to help you make a decision.

The real choice is one between you and the Lord. Pray for wisdom and peace and go where you being led. It may not be a quick revelation or an easy decision but God will direct you to where you need to be for Hid greatest glory.

Upvote 0

IrishGuy070890

Mar 20, 2006
✟7,695.00
Faith
Non-Denom
imablessed1 said:
I am a Baptist, born and raised. I'm 19 years old. I definitly GLORIFY God in my everyday life. BUT, not to long ago I was asked, by a Non Baptist, what my top 10 Tentets are? I was clueless! It made me question my own beliefs or lack there of. I stay faithful to my Baptist church on Sundays (its a very old school style- hyms, very structured) , but on Wednesday I have been going to a Non Denominational church. Which is very different (healings, speaking in tongues, lifting and waiving your arms, actual PRAISE music). At the NoN-Dom church I recently accepted the Baptism of the Holy Spirit in evidence of speaking in tongues in an attempt to connect better with God. I even witnessed first hand some healing miracles, but in my head all i could do is think as a Baptist and try and proove to myself that it wasn't real. Naturally, I feel that I am getting more from the Non Dom church, BUT I'm not sure about all of their beliefs. I have constanly been praying about this matter and I have been digging in my Bible for scriptures to prove to me which is the most Biblical and which i should belive. I ask, beg, plead for your help!
this is what ticks me off about the church today. when it was assembled, every believer in a city would come together to worship God. now there are hundreds of denominations, and dozens of churches in each city. and people like you get confused as to wich one is the right one. on judgement day god isn't going to exclude some denominations and accept other denominations. it's the persons individual beliefs that makes them a christ follower, not what church you go 2. so my advice is go to what ever church makes you feel more comfortable and causes better fellowship with God.

Just my 2 cents

Upvote 0
You have actually gotten some decent advice here.

It is important to realise that the answer is not in the church, or the pastor, or the feelings, or the miracles, or experiences, or the power.

The answer is Jesus Christ. Draw close to him. Study him. Look to him.

I go to a non-charismatic non-dem church. I no longer believe that most uses of tongues are real. I also have deep misgivings about most miracles. The ones that I have seen could not be proven either way. Most of them are extremely subjective. The same goes for most visions and other physical manifestations.

I'm not saying that God does not perform miracles and healings today. I'm also not saying that God does not give the gift of tongues today. I believe he does and is performing miracles. But most of the showy stuff in church and healing services is just that...showy stuff. It is what you get when you mix hype, emotions, deep desire for a physical manifestation of God, and open minded acceptance of anything that might be evidence of God's presence.

Just keep looking to Jesus. He will give you the deep inner peace you need to make you solid. Then it won't really matter too much where you go to church. You will be accepting and peacefully worshiping at almost any christian church that isn't openly heretical.

Upvote 0

imablessed1

Jun 26, 2006
✟7,614.00
Faith
Baptist
Thank you all for you different inputs. I don't really know exactly what to make of each one of your inputs, seeing that some differ. All I am positivly sure about is to keep praying and to just give it all to God. I feel the same way that Irishguy070890 does. I HATE denominations! I just want to be a follower of Jesus Christ and praise, worship, and proclaim his name! Again thanks for all your input and please feel free to add more.

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Atlantians

Student of Theology and History.
Mar 28, 2006
California
✟21,953.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
imablessed1 said:
I am a Baptist, born and raised. I'm 19 years old. I definitly GLORIFY God in my everyday life. BUT, not to long ago I was asked, by a Non Baptist, what my top 10 Tentets are? I was clueless! It made me question my own beliefs or lack there of. I stay faithful to my Baptist church on Sundays (its a very old school style- hyms, very structured) , but on Wednesday I have been going to a Non Denominational church. quote]
Do you believe the Bible is God's word?
Is Jesus God?
Is God a trinity?

ect.

Yes to all those questions, each is a tenet of Christianity.
Thats all.:clap:
I bet you knew that already though,;)
you were just confussed by the term tenet right?:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

sheetz

Jun 19, 2006
✟7,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well if you are really looking to "convert", why would you pick a Church that was not started by Christ??? Neither the Baptist Church, nor the Non-denominational Churches (i.e. most Protestants), and not even the Catholic Church (which does have Apostolic succession) is the Church of the NEW TESTAMENT!!!!!

Like most Christians that are wavering, or unhappy w/ their Church it is because the Church was not started by God, but by men who read the Bible and "claimed" to be moved by the Holy Spirit, and started their Church based on their interpretations of the Scriptures.

TAKE HEED NO MAN DECIEVE YOU!!!

Remember this: the Church was not started by the Bible, but rather the CHURCH wrote the Bible. To completely understand what is Biblical and unBiblical you should probably find the Church that wrote the Bible!!!

AND IT DOES EXIST!!!
"I (Christ) will build my Church and the gates of Hades shall not prevali against it" Matt 16:18

That means the Church that Christ started still exists today, both spiritually and physcially!! Which is also symbolisim for the Divine/Human nature of Christ!!!

This Church is the Orthodox Church(Greek, Russian, or Eastern Orthodox, etc. etc. are the SAME THING, same worship, SAME SAME SAME, etc. etc). The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It is not non-denominational, it is pre-denominational. It has been believed, taught, preserved, defended, and died for. It is the Faith that has established the universe...

ORTHODOXY: Proclaiming the Truth since 33 AD. "

Everything about Orthodoxy affrims the claim that the Orthodox Church has perseved the original Apostolic Faith. Which was expressed in the common Christian Live of the first Century.

If you would like to learn more, just let me know.

In Christ.

P.S. Christ is not divided(no denominations, not thousands, but one)!!! 1 Corinthians 1:13

Jesus Christ is the same Yesterday, Today, and Forever!! (Heb 13:8)

I know people always talk denominations, etc. etc. which is why we have non-denominational churches, which makes people "feel" more Christian

Christianity is not a "FEELING" it is a growing, and loving relationship with God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Forever and unto the Ages of Ages. AMEN

Upvote 0
Jun 6, 2006
Eads , TN
✟15,197.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
TrustingmyLord said:
If someone asked me what my top 10 tenets were, I'd be clueless. There is no magic formula to get you to Heaven, (you know what I mean) and it sounds almost legalistic to me that someone expects you to spout out a list of beliefs to prove you are a Christian or something.

I have a book recomendation for you, its Charismatic Chaos and here is a link where you can read the first chapter.

There are other chapters available online as well.

Ok, now to my beliefs. (Please, no one throw anything at me!)
Speaking in tongues is evidince of NOTHING. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that if you are truly saved you will speak in tongues.

1 Cor 12:8-10
For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

We do not all get tongues. This is so very clear, we do not all get the same gifts.

In 1 Corinthians 12, Paul is very distressed with this church because they have all become obsessed with wanting tongues and they are using them in the wrong way and for the wrong reasons. Its a good book to read, 1 Cor.

Chapter 14:18-19
I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

He is grateful for his gift, as well he should be, surely he found it quite useful in his travels... that is why God gave him this gift.

19Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
But I would much rather speak a few words with understanding, so I might teach others, than a bunch of words no one understands.
Notice he says "In the church." Tongues were not so relevant within the church, but rather for witnesing.

27-28
27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
If ANY MAN speak. Not every man COULD. Here he limits them. ORDER. Not chaos. Not everyone speaking in tongues at once.
28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
If there is no interpreter, they may not speak... but to himself, or God, for there was no use.

I have this friend who is Pentacostal. As I said, I am sure there are many Pentacostals going by Gods word, however, my friend has been caught up in MANY false doctrines. Its all about the experience, not doctrine. If I show her a Bible verse that teaches something, such as the teaching that the love of money is the root of all evil and we are to stay away from it... (her fave tv preacher preaches the prosperity gospel, that its GODS WILL for us all to be filthy rich and have possesions) I can show her loads of scripture to the contrary... I have even showed her that this one tv guy is a false prophet by the Bible tests for a false prophet and all she will say to me is... "If you could FEEL it, you'd understand."

I dont care WHAT a person feels or experiences, if it is CONTRARY to the Bible, its NOT of God. Plain and simple.

I dont mean to say, of course, that a persons walk with God should b solemn and serious all the time. Yes, we should shout out in praise to God, yes, we should get excited about God..

Just remember that the MOST important thing is Biblical truth.

John 10:27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

James 1:22-26 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.

2 Cor. 11:3 "But I am afraid, lest as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds should be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ."

I believe we must contantly be open to the Bible and stay in it to keep us true to Gods word. If you hear something and you are unsure, look into the Bible. ALWAYS. That and prayer. Pray that God will lead you to the church he wants you to be at.

When I came back to God, I told you I tried out many churches. I stayed at one for 6 months. It was FULL of false doctrines. (The pope is the antichrist, etc) Yet I fully believe God led me to that church. Why?? Because it launched me into a very serious Bible study and a love for the truth. I learned that I can be wrong, others can be wrong, but the Bible is never wrong.

I pray that God will lead you!

Amen sister Amen you have a very good understanding and you are right on the mark with your comments.

Everything done should be to glorify God and if it doesnt glorify God then its of man. :amen:

Upvote 0

whateveristrue

Jun 27, 2006
New York
✟15,510.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
imablessed1 said:

I understand what you struggle with. Actually the church you've been going to on wednesday nights is not representative of all non-denominational churches. From your description, it sounds like a Charismatic Church with a strong emphasis on tongues, gifts of the Spirit, etc.

I understand how you feel about the traditional Baptist Church, and how it may be lacking. I have taken some courses at a Baptist seminary... and although their style may be legalistic and conservative... most of their doctrine is Biblical.

I think it would be wise for you to find some middleground. Don't base your decisions on emotions, but make sure everything passes the test of Scripture. Emotions are often used by the evil one to throw us off track. As Christians, the Bible must be the final authority in everything. Some aspects of the Charismatic movement, I'm not sure how Biblical they are... (Read 1 Corinthians 14). Not that I think you should stay in a Baptist church either.

There are churches that are lively, worshipful, and contemporary (meaning they sing more than just hymns, and you don't have to wear a suit). but they are not necessarily all out charismatic.

Pray. God will show you the way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whateveristrue

Jun 27, 2006
New York
✟15,510.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
TrustingmyLord said:

Excellent Book. It covers the Charismatic Issue very well. I highly recommend it!

Upvote 0

GeorgeE

May 17, 2006
✟618.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In my father’s House are many mansions (mansion (Greek Abode or abiding place) God has many abiding places and obviously He is leading you higher. The closer you get to God; the less men will agree with you; the more you seek the more you will find.

Now, first GOD HEARS us, and then He works in us a hearing, also. "Mine ears hast Thou opened." [Psalm 40:6]. Interesting that in the Hebrew text this word "opened" is actually, DIGGED. So much accumulated debris and noise of this world is lodged within our ears, that God must indeed DIG OUT OUR EARS until we are able to hear Him. Ah, I was groaning in my distress, and God heard my cry, and came and dug out mine ear so that I could hear Him speak words of salvation into my spirit. Truly, may God work in us a hearing ear! "He that hath an ear; let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches (Greek, the called-out ones)." [Revelation 3:6].

Let us also make careful note of the sequence in John 6:45, "Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father; cometh unto Me." We cannot come until we know where to come, which requires that we learn of Him. But we cannot learn of Him until first we HEAR HIM speak to us.

Most religions will change the sequence entirely. They say come, hear, and learn. But God says, first I must open their ear to HEAR Me, and then I must teach them of MY WAY, and then they shall gladly come unto me. Once we have truly heard His voice, and learned of His more abundant life, it is self-evident that there will be a COMING unto Him.

Why should I come to One of whom I know nothing? Paul realized this, and so he worded it this way, "How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher (one who announces the message of truth)? And how shall they preach, except they be sent?" [Romans 10:14-15]. If God does not send them, they have no true message FROM HIM. But when God does send a man, having placed within him a message of truth, then God will also go before him and OPEN THE EARS of the people that they might hear, learn, and come unto Him.

It is also very interesting that seven times it is given in the Word of God, beginning in Isaiah 6:10, "Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed." Why such blindness, deafness, lack of understanding? Because God purposes to bring "every man in his own order," [1 Corinthians 15:23], and He is working a purpose in both the time of blindness, and the time of sight. And since "No man can come to Me, except the Father which hath sent Me draw him," [John 6:44], it remains that our God controls the timing of our coming into new dimensions of His life. When He deafens the ear, who can hear? But when He digs out our ears, praise God, we hear, learn, and come unto Him.

Ray Prinzing

Reactions: Tavita
Upvote 0

christandisrael

Sep 19, 2005
✟899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
imablessed1 said:
Keep praying. He will reveal His will sooner or later.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.