Should Christians watch anime

Supremocombo

Christian Anime fan, Tech nerd, and gamer.
Aug 16, 2015
✟7,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The few people who do seem to take these shows seriously tend to have issues anyway.

I also dare say that if you find it okay for there to be magic, rituals and other satanic things in the shows you watch AND YOU DELIGHT IN IT then you're not a Christian. I never said that anime has to be christian. I said just said anime has many things in it that God specifically does not approve of. Its not "okay" to do things God dosent approve of. Thats where repentance comes in. In greek, the word for repentance is metánoia.Metánoia means to change in one's way of life resulting from penitence or spiritual conversion ortostart a change of mind. Its not enough to always do the same thing over and over. You need to have a change of mind.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
If you find no problem with Japan believing in Shintoism and Buddhism than I dare say you're not a Christian.

Seriously, dude?

1. Nobody was saying anything of the sort. We were simply explaining the cultural situation as it presently stands.

2. If your first reaction to a new culture is "I must convert them immediately!", then you need to stand down. Such an attitude risks doing far, far more harm than good when it comes to spreading the gospel because it spreads the wrong message concerning what Christianity represents.

I say "religion" and not "other religions" because Christianity is not a religion.

You might want to go get a dictionary...

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

SemiBolt

Sep 14, 2015
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(This isn't targeted at anything in particular.) Culture is a BIG, BIG, BIG thing about these sort of topics. A satanic symbol for us could mean the total opposite thing in japan. I'm not saying it always is but its always good to look into that sort of thing. For example the "swastika" is a religious symbol used primarily in Buddhism and Hinduism in Asia and they even use it in media and the US has censored those symbols when they translate things like video games, manga etc. However the Nazis made that symbol evil so whenever someone sees it now they think of Hitler.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
(This isn't targeted at anything in particular.) Culture is a BIG, BIG, BIG thing about these sort of topics. A satanic symbol for us could mean the total opposite thing in japan. I'm not saying it always is but its always good to look into that sort of thing. For example the "swastika" is a religious symbol used primarily in Buddhism and Hinduism in Asia and they even use it in media and the US has censored those symbols when they translate things like video games, manga etc. However the Nazis made that symbol evil so whenever someone sees it now they think of Hitler.

Another thing to consider is that because Judaism, Christianity, Islam, et cetra, are minority faiths in Japan, you'll often see creative works reference - or even outright use - elements of these religions without truly understanding what it is that they're dealing with.

For example, the TV Tropes wiki (no direct link due to both pop-ups and NSFW material) has a page entitled "Nuns Are Mikos" noting situations in which creative works depict Catholics in a fashion more in line with Shintos (such as by treating nuns as if they were mikos).

It's not that these people are trying to endorse or suggest anything; rather, in most cases it's just that these people don't know any better.

Reactions: SemiBolt
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Also the swastika is arguably different in appearance compared to the manji, since the manji is a square, while the swastika is more diamond, to my knowledge, at least in the Nazi form.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Another thing to consider is that because Judaism, Christianity, Islam, et cetra, are minority faiths in Japan, you'll often see creative works reference - or even outright use - elements of these religions without truly understanding what it is that they're dealing with.

For example, the TV Tropes wiki (no direct link due to both pop-ups and NSFW material) has a page entitled "Nuns Are Mikos" noting situations in which creative works depict Catholics in a fashion more in line with Shintos (such as by treating nuns as if they were mikos).

It's not that these people are trying to endorse or suggest anything; rather, in most cases it's just that these people don't know any better.
Or it's being used because it's an exotic setting in general: it's not like Westerners aren't guilty of the same thing with Orientalism.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Or it's being used because it's an exotic setting in general: it's not like Westerners aren't guilty of the same thing with Orientalism.

Pretty much.

As a writer, I've learned the hard way to just stick with what I know. If I want to go above and beyond, then I need to have resources lined up with reliable information I can reference as needed.

Upvote 0

Tytti Elisabeth

Feb 26, 2019
Kalajoki
✟15,211.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
1 John 2:27 "As for you, the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and so you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, abide in him."

If the Holy Spirit guides me not to watch something again I should obey and not watch that anymore. If it was his will I wouldn't watch anime ever again. I don't claim this would be easy. Sometimes (or perhaps every time) it is not easy at all to follow his ways, but believe and he will give you all the strength you need. And I believe He will give you His Joy - the best joy; better than any anime ever can offer. ❤

Reactions: ladyarianrod
Upvote 0
Everyone has their own place, cultures, system of beliefs. We all have our own failings weaknesses and story. We cant expect everyone to understand our story or to follow or tenets and yet we presume to do so.

The general Christian population will look at anime and presume it to be filthy lustful sinful degrading mockery of the bible filth. Because a small portion of it can be extremely disgusting therefore we should avoid it all together. Acts 10:13 Get up peter, take and eat. But its unclean lord? "get up peter take and eat"

Don't get me wrong I don't mean to directly state that God has made anime clean, or that God would approve of anime, each person has to decide on their own what to give up to Christ, its when we take the stance that we know better than others when we are in the wrong. All we can do is live the best possible life we can in glory to God that others may observe it and become changed themselves.

Anime is a form of culture and entertainment just like any other, Some of it is jaw droppingly beautiful and can evoke such pure intentions and feelings and even some can bring us closer to Christ if that is the medium in which he speaks to us. I reference some of Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazki's work. One of his works explores the beauty of family and togetherness, another shows us the terrible pain an hardship that occurred as a result of the World War 2 atrocities, and one of my favorites explores the beauty of music and imagination and how that can drive us as humans bring us together give us dreams and help us to accomplish them.

Are these things wrong simply because others of the same medium explore things that they shouldn't? Because Game of Thrones is such a popular series, that I have no interest in seeing, should I also avoid all other forms of that media? Do I avoid the movie War Room simply because it was created by another religion other than my own? surely not.

We tend to take things in such a literal sense, because this is bad we attach the Devil label to everything associated to it and preach it to others, because our christian brother sinned we blot out his name from the book of life and blow out his candle indicating his lost forever, if we're going to take things so very literally then we may as well follow the verses in the bible that tell us to cut out or tongue and eyes when they cause us to sin against God our father.

Jesus said to peter feed my sheep feed my lambs 3 times, John 21:15-17, then he said again Acts 10:13 get up kill and eat, three times. Perhaps he meant... peter please only feed those sheep and those lambs that you deem worthy in my sight.... those others... once whom have sinned... yeah forget them they're just too evil... cant save them.

We tend to view the world in this way, some people in the world aren't worth saving... perhaps were too afraid of what their previous sins might bring into our lives or church. Imagine the disciples doing that in Acts. "and the man saul appealed to the Christians, God has spoken to me, I have changed, and thus the disciples were afeared and trusteth him not and slew him should his views on Christians spread or should he begin killing true Christians again" yes... this is far fetched, but we're doing the same thing to those around us buy telling them what they can and cannot do.

If a friend happens to watch the series Deathnote and loves it, why not rather than immediately accost them study upon it for ourselves? there are many websites out there that will give you the cliff notes version and some even that give you a christian viewpoint of the series. Instead of disowning a friend steady yourself with Gods word, point out the storyline, say, hey brother, remember how the main character took on a persona of completely thinking that his actions were good and justified? how the demon became a burden to him and lead him down the completely wrong path? Thats just like some of the struggles I went through in my christian walk! The devil is an expert strategist and lier and he can come into our lives and ruin them just the same as what happened to the protagonist in your anime, he tricks us into thinking that we're on the right path doing the right things and once we have fulfilled his purpose he casts us aside and abandons us just like the series shows.

At that point we have opened a door to introduce them to a better life, a higher power Christ Jesus our lord.

I wont condemn those of us whom have explored the medium of anime, because I cannot, that's not my place, and if God chooses someone that is heavily connected to Anime to become a witness for him than more power too him. Evil surrounds us, temptation is all around us in the news in advertisement and in the homes of the people God wants us to preach to, do we simply not preach to them because they're lost in sin?

Upvote 0

Bramblewild

Apr 16, 2019
Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, may Christians watch anime?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: It fits within the framework of Christian freedom, like many other things do.

"Anime" is a huge category, involving thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of series and movies. With so much to choose from, one would have no problem finding good and bad.

Many categories of anime are themselves bad; for example, the highly sexualized ones. Those are out there, and Christians should avoid those, without question.

In other categories, it can be a mix of good and bad. Slice of Life anime can been good, I've enjoyed several series in that category, but I've also found a few that I didn't care for.

There may be many series with elements that you do not like, and that may trouble you. In those situations, may I recommend two things: 1, that you consider your own conscience, and abide by it; 2, that you be wary of pushing your own conscience onto other Christians who don't share your misgivings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joyeuse

Apr 22, 2019
Texas
✟16,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Like anything in life, Anime is entertainment and it should be treated like that. In my own opinion, there's nothing wrong about watching anime. The problem, as with everything, start when you begin to mix your life with fiction. If you allow yourself to get influenced by something mundane, you'll loose yourself. Some people, I know, would say that watching "non-Christian" material will open door to the occult, but I say that if you put your faith in Jesus, no matter what you watch, you will remain faithful ---and entrained.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I watch anime like Naruto because I think I might be able to learn something new that I can use in a war against Satan.
Things like teamwork, leadership and the line of speeches to cheer others up...

One punch man is a bit harder case. Should I stop watching it since there's a character called Tatsumaki? She's physically pre-matured witch girl who wears only cloak and it seems she got no pants at all. In the anime there's even a scene which reveals her butt when the video is paused. A drawn image like that..
She could have bikinis though.
Tatsumaki's an adult (28) and so is her sister, she's likely that young looking because of how the body of someone with her level of power responds to it (like Saitama going bald when he got as strong as he did). It's not much different than other instances one could find, like Mavis from Fairy Tail or Rory Mercury from GATE, even High Elf Archer in Goblin slayer (though that's sort of expected), several others

Anime & Manga / Really Seven Hundred Years Old - TV Tropes

If anything Fubuki is more the temptation, especially if you look at the manga's splash pages at the beginning of chapters. Tatsumaki is used more for jokes because of how blunt and rude she is with the sheer ability she has as the #2 ranked S Class Hero.

And supposedly Murata (not even ONE sensei, who probably might say the same) has confirmed Tatsumaki does wear underwear. Did a little digging and found that, it's likely somewhere out there in a manga extra or interview, but Murata made her more "sexy" versus the webcomic, where she's generally just a short girl for joke purposes almost.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zaymer

Dec 25, 2020
VA
✟15,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In general, with all art-culture consumption, one should be critical/discerning with what is choosing to experience: what are the messages/morals being expressed and do they coincide/support the Christian walk? For instance I find Aria the Animation series to be great in this regard. However, one should also be critical/discerning regarding the time usage as well and certainly avoid bingeing and like activities, unfortunately I have tended to lose myself in fantasies which is not okay.

Upvote 0

Astroqualia

Born-again Truthseeker
Feb 5, 2019
FL
✟11,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Now I used to be a HUGE anime fan. It was literally life. But at some point I started realizing that some anime encourage some non-christian values or satanism all-together. Come on, you know what I'm talking about. Naruto, DBZ, Reborn,Code Geass, Hunter X Hunter etc. Id love to know your opinions because I like anime but idk if I should watch it. Still praying and reading for it though.
I believe this is the same type of argument as the "is secular music ok?" argument. In my personal opinion, it comes down to "does being around this stuff affect your faith?". Some folks have a more solid mind than others, some cannot be around bad influences at all without "following the crowd". Some can be around that, and not partake. Some are a mixture depending on the level of what we are talking about and the specific case. Personally, I don't see anything antichristian anymore so in anime than I do in any other form of media. I listen to heavy metal, death metal, hip hop, rap, etc [a good portion of it is Christian in those genres]. I don't desire to start acting like the lyrics say, I don't have a desire to start worshipping Satan, I don't start treating people differently, so I don't see an issue with it. If you conflate what you see in media with real life, then it becomes a problem. Analyze yourself, see if partaking in such things changes your Christian walk. Of course if everyone lived in a Godly world with 0 secular activities, I'm sure we would all be closer to God. If we all locked ourselves in a Bible-lined room, I'm sure we would also be closer to God. But the impossibility of this until we actually go to heaven, means that we should be around what we can handle, and avoid things we can't handle/that make us falter. We live in the world, we aren't supposed to be a part of it.

If you read any non-Christian books, watch any non-Christian TV, talk to non-Christian people, listen to any non-Christian music, then I don't see how watching anime is any different than any of those.
Also, if you are the type of person to "forget" about God daily, it helps if you remind yourself to talk to Him in your head throughout the day. This is literally spoken about in the Bible when it says to pray without ceasing. That always sounds wild to folks who aren't close with the Lord.

Upvote 0

Brother_Kane

Jul 18, 2020
Laurel
✟17,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now I used to be a HUGE anime fan. It was literally life. But at some point I started realizing that some anime encourage some non-christian values or satanism all-together. Come on, you know what I'm talking about. Naruto, DBZ, Reborn,Code Geass, Hunter X Hunter etc. Id love to know your opinions because I like anime but idk if I should watch it. Still praying and reading for it though.
I used to watch anime. I felt that it was unchristian for me to do. All the violence and lust and such. I would watch anime to feel better because I never had friends. I would use shows and movies to distract me from whatever pain I might be feeling. I kept trying find a way to keep watching anime. I felt that if God wanted to stop I wouldn’t. I knew that if I wanted to get serious about following God I would need to cut out all these little pet sins I was harboring. I’ve cut out some of my favorite YouTubers and books that was leading me to sin. All I can say is if you feel like anime may be wrong go ahead and cut it. It ain’t easy but as a Christian we must put God first. I wish you the best and if you like to talk further on the subject shoot me a message.

Upvote 0

asteroidtempo

Sep 5, 2021
LA
✟7,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christians can do all sorts of things, good and evil.

The question is sort of strange because anime is an art form like literature, painting, or photography. This question is essentially the same as asking whether Christians should not read books, or view paintings, or look at photographs. The answer is the same in each case: there is nothing immoral in the art form itself. There is nothing about anime, paintings, books, or photos that makes them right or wrong per se.

They are simply a means of expression. They can be used to express things that are noble, neutral, immoral, or depraved. It's the content that carries moral value, not the medium. That means that anime can be used for good or evil, but it is not good or evil itself.

Upvote 0