Should Christians take up arms ?

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
No, I understand the connection you're trying to make, but understanding that the Lord provides opportunities does not remove His Sovereignty. He knows if you're going to take an opportunity before it's even presented to you ;)

I think we need to draw some lines here. There is a big difference in "protecting your family from an attacker" and "protecting your family from an attacker with deadly force."

What if the attacker was your drug fueled son or daughter? How would you react then? Would your first instinct be to use deadly force, or another method of deterrence?
In any situation, I'd use the force necessary. How about you?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In any situation, I'd use the force necessary. How about you?

Right but what level of force would you start with?

In such a time of adrenaline I highly doubt I'd be able to determine, accurately, where the line is between "necessary" and "overly necessary."

If it were my son or daughter though I would try and reason with them first before commencing to empty my mag into them.

Upvote 0

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
Right but what level of force would you start with?

In such a time of adrenaline I highly doubt I'd be able to determine, accurately, where the line is between "necessary" and "overly necessary."

In any situation, if there is a life that is immediate danger, you use deadly force. If it's a matter of removing the person from the situation (restraint or a butt whooping), then that's where you go.

What would you do if someone was about to shoot your wife and you had the means to stop them? Would you?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In any situation, if there is a life that is immediate danger, you use deadly force. If it's a matter of removing the person from the situation (restraint or a butt whooping), then that's where you go.

What would you do if someone was about to shoot your wife and you had the means to stop them? Would you?

I don't know if I could kill my kid.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But you could let your wife die?

Could I? Yes, yes I could.

I think your position is putting way too much emphasis on physical life, and without any acknowledgement of spiritual life.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I feel bad for your wife. I'd lay down my life for hers.

That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. If you die ("lay down your life"), then she will probably be killed too, because you're dead and cannot protect her. :confused: Besides, you're talking about using deadly force to kill the attacker, thus you're both alive at the end. At most, all you're telling is that you wouldn't use your wife as a human shield, which is good. I wouldn't either!

Would you lay down your life for the attacker's?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. If you die ("lay down your life"), then she will probably be killed too, because you're dead and cannot protect her. :confused:

Would you lay down your life for the attacker's?
I guess you don't understand the concept of laying down your life for someone. It means that you die protecting them. It doesn't mean that you just die. smh

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I guess you don't understand the concept of laying down your life for someone. It means that you die protecting them. It doesn't mean that you just die. smh

Yeah well that concept looks great on paper, but doesn't really fit with reality.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think Jesus dodnt use a sword (except the word) so why should we.

At his crucifixtion he didnt say to his disciples go kill pilate even though he was going to be sentenced to death. He had to give up his life so all of us may live.

Also, there is one of the 10 commandments thou shalt not kill. Bleeding obvious.

And, God will avenge the wicked, we dont have to. Angels can stop bullets.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think people who live in amerca have this gun culture mentality which is really weird.
It has nothing to do with the Bible, or what God commands, but they try and make out like their contistituion is God ordained. It isnt, its another god.

Upvote 0

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
I think Jesus dodnt use a sword (except the word) so why should we.

At his crucifixtion he didnt say to his disciples go kill pilate even though he was going to be sentenced to death. He had to give up his life so all of us may live.

Also, there is one of the 10 commandments thou shalt not kill. Bleeding obvious.

And, God will avenge the wicked, we dont have to. Angels can stop bullets.
You may want to check out Rev 19. [emoji1]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
98, I understand your view to an extent. But I'm confused if you believe Jesus wasn't approving of the slaughter of women & kids in Canaan with their men when God said to slaughter them all? We're the Israelite the just ones for protecting some from death?

Or when Abraham was sent to sacrifice Issac? Understand that these were commands, issued by the Lord, yet we have a new commandment...and lasting and binding commandment until His return:

Galatians 5:14
For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Look, I understand we are all human, thus we are all sinful and we all want to do what it is in our nature to do (like protect our family with deadly force if we must), yet let us reason, acknowledge, and see how sinful the heart is when we say that it is not sinful to be willing to kill another person. You see it as protecting your wife, as you should, but also see that the willingness to take a life so quickly, without even postulating an alternative method of resolution to any given scenario such as this, calls for us to examine ourselves...to see if the Truth is really in us. Remember, in the Kingdom, we will not have a wife nor a husband, children or fathers or mothers [to value above others] but we will be the Body and we will be One. Is there room in the kingdom for a heart that will put one life above and before another? I'm not so sure....

Upvote 0