Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So I'm sitting here, playing Guitar Hero, see....

m_76faf169d0b37ae777594ac97f69a2b1.jpg

And I was wondering, should Christians listen to rock music? I don't think I am going to like the answer, but I asked it anyway....

RajunCajun86

Apr 26, 2006
Thibodaux, Louisiana
✟18,690.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
i don't believe there is a blanket yes or no, what has God convicted you of, does it pull or push you towards God, i love classic rock but God is weeding out those with cursing (which really puts a damper on my guns n roses)
let the Lord lead you in your decision on music, you will get 50 posts on this thread and 75 different opinions, rock and roll ain't noise pollution

just my two cents

Reactions: Erinwilcox
Upvote 0

BigChrisfilm

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Portsmouth Ohio
Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I have the first one, and there are allot of pentagrams and such, so it was starting to make me wonder. But I also listen to rock, and don's see a big problem. I listen to Christian Heavy Metal, and I like some of it, although I do have a problem with the lyrics of almost every rock song I could think of. hmmmmm...

Upvote 0

michaeljr5

Nov 10, 2006
Eielson AFB, Alaska
✟8,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think the Good Book says, "Make a joyful sound unto the Lord!" I don't think is says anything about 200 Marshall stacks with a Lez Paul wailing away through them and a singer screaming his brains out being bad. ;)

I believe that the Lord gives talent and that talent should be used. Now if you are going to cuss and swear and be an idiot, well, you're just an idiot.

Me personally, I am VERY picky about my musical selections, I have to know what the artist is into and believes and that.

Reactions: RajunCajun86
Upvote 0

BigChrisfilm

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Portsmouth Ohio
Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, that expression on your face is straight from the pit of hell! ;)

Wow, they combined Rock and video games. Work chocolate into that somehow and you have the ultimate in decadence.
lol, that's my rocking out face.

Upvote 0

michaeljr5

Nov 10, 2006
Eielson AFB, Alaska
✟8,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So I'm sitting here, playing Guitar Hero, see....

m_76faf169d0b37ae777594ac97f69a2b1.jpg

And I was wondering, should Christians listen to rock music? I don't think I am going to like the answer, but I asked it anyway....
I SOOO Want to play Guitar Hero two. It has Danzig's song Mother on it and that song has the GREATEST power cords, EVER!

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Personally I don't listen to any rock music (actually, I don't really listen to any secular music). But yes, I think that Christians should listen to rock if they so desire. Rock music is not "unclean," and it does not cause anyone to be less righteous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RichardT

Contributor
Sep 17, 2005
Toronto Ontario
✟23,099.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Music has three ingredients, if these ingredients aren't present, then it isn't music but noise.

[SIZE=-1]harmony :
[/SIZE]
  1. The study of the structure, progression, and relation of chords.
  2. Simultaneous combination of notes in a chord.
  3. The structure of a work or passage as considered from the point of view of its chordal characteristics and relationships.
  4. A combination of sounds considered pleasing to the ear.
rhythm :
  1. The pattern of musical movement through time.
  2. A specific kind of such a pattern, formed by a series of notes differing in duration and stress: a waltz rhythm.
  3. A group of instruments supplying the rhythm in a band.
melody :
  1. A rhythmically organized sequence of single tones so related to one another as to make up a particular phrase or idea.
  2. Structure with respect to the arrangement of single notes in succession.
  3. The leading part or the air in a composition with accompaniment.
What rock music does, is, it exagerates on the rhythm (beat) so much that the harmony or the melody of the song can faintly be heard. Which is in strong contrast to the biblical requirement for the "new song"

[FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva]Take an harp, go about the city, thou harlot that hast been forgotten; make sweet MELODY, sing many songs, that thou mayest be remembered. Isaiah 23:16[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva]For the LORD shall comfort Zion: he will comfort all her waste places; and he will make her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the LORD; jothe d gladness shall be found therein, thanksgiving, and the voice of MELODY. Isaiah 51:3[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva] And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making MELODY in your heart to the Lord; Ephesians 5:18-19
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

But I still listen to rock music, even though the bible is plain that I probably shouldn't.

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I SOOO Want to play Guitar Hero two. It has Danzig's song Mother on it and that song has the GREATEST power cords, EVER!

It's interesting you bring up Danzig. He is, or at least was, a self proclaimed satanist. I remember when I was practicing satanist I wrote him a letter applauding him for standing up for his faith. That was one messed up year in my life.

Upvote 0

BigChrisfilm

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Portsmouth Ohio
Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Music has three ingredients, if these ingredients aren't present, then it isn't music but noise.

[SIZE=-1]harmony :
[/SIZE]
  3. The structure of a work or passage as considered from the point of view of its chordal characteristics and relationships.
rhythm :
  2. A specific kind of such a pattern, formed by a series of notes differing in duration and stress: a waltz rhythm.
melody :
  1. A rhythmically organized sequence of single tones so related to one another as to make up a particular phrase or idea.
What rock music does, is, it exagerates on the rhythm (beat) so much that the harmony or the melody of the song can faintly be heard. Which is in strong contrast to the biblical requirement for the "new song"

[FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva]Take an harp, go about the city, thou harlot that hast been forgotten; make sweet MELODY, sing many songs, that thou mayest be remembered. Isaiah 23:16[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva]For the LORD shall comfort Zion: he will comfort all her waste places; and he will make her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the LORD; jothe d gladness shall be found therein, thanksgiving, and the voice of MELODY. Isaiah 51:3[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva] And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making MELODY in your heart to the Lord; Ephesians 5:18-19
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

But I still listen to rock music, even though the bible is plain that I probably shouldn't.
I do see that God wants us to make that kind of music, but it doesn't say what his standard of music is, and it doesn't say we can't listen to loud music?

Upvote 0

michaeljr5

Nov 10, 2006
Eielson AFB, Alaska
✟8,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's interesting you bring up Danzig. He is, or at least was, a self proclaimed satanist. I remember when I was practicing satanist I wrote him a letter applauding him for standing up for his faith. That was one messed up year in my life.
Self proclaimed what ever, I've never cared. He's a jerk, but his music is awesome! I'ma also a HUGE Misfits fan, so it's just part of a larger collection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do see that God wants us to make that kind of music, but it doesn't say what his standard of music is, and it doesn't say we can't listen to loud music?

Well the Bible certainly isn't against loud music.

KJV 1611 Psalm 150:5 Praise him vpon the loud cymbals: praise him vpon the high sounding cymbals.

That said I think it's a stupid thing to not protect your ears from ear damage.

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

[SIZE=-1]harmony : [/SIZE]

rhythm :
melody :

[FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva]And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, helvetica, geneva]Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making MELODY in your heart to the Lord; Ephesians 5:18-19[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

The definition that you've provided for music doesn't come from the Bible. Here you have replaced the commandment of God with the tradition of man. Unless, of course, you can justify your views on music from the Bible. The Scriptures you've quoted prescribe musical worship, but contrary to what you've said, they do not prescribe any particular brand of music.

I think what you meant to say is that you listen to rock music despite that your church plainly says that you shouldn't. Now, personally I don't think you're doing anything wrong by listening to rock music. Richard, I sense that at some level, you recognize that your church's teachings are wrong, otherwise you'd probably be obeying these tyrants more faithfully. Have you considered the possibility that you only attend Toronto Baptist because you enjoy hearing people preach against and condemn the rest of the world? It is natural for humans to desire to be associated with the "winning team." And I feel that you may be attending this fundamentalist church because it is easier to look to the sins of others than to one's own sin (which is true for all of us).

Anyway, just something to consider.

Upvote 0
D

dave90

Sometimes i listen to rock music and once in a while here some pretty anti-Jesus message,sometimes these artist say something stupid and after this i view them differently, so you must be careful of what you listen to, especially mainstream rap which is all garbage.

A weird story after the Beatles broke up on George's first album he says "Open up your heart and see hes right there" refering to Jesus, but George was a hindu:scratch: , and on John's first solo album one of his lyrics is "There aint no Jesus whos gonna come from the sky", i found that a bit weird.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A weird story after the Beatles broke up on George's first album he says "Open up your heart and see hes right there" refering to Jesus, but George was a hindu:scratch: , and on John's first solo album one of his lyrics is "There aint no Jesus whos gonna come from the sky", i found that a bit weird.

Perhaps the former song refers to the false god Krishna?

Upvote 0
D

dave90

Perhaps the former song refers to the false god Krishna?

"You don't need no passport
And you don't need no visas
You don't need to designate or to emigrate
Before you can see Jesus
If you open up your heart
You'll see he's right there
Always was and will be
He'll relieve you of your cares"

nope these are some of the songs lyrics, and the rest is a bit anti-catholic:swoon:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.