Should Children Partake Of The Communion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubes

Dec 13, 2004
Boondocks of New York
✟426.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I say yes.

All the family members of Israel ate of the Passover Lamb in Egypt. That passover was a forshadowing of Christ our Passover Lamb, thus, the family of Christ should all partake, regardless of age.

I would not give anything to a newborn that might cause swallowing problems, of course...but only for that reason might I withhold it.

CrownCaster

FlyFishers Of Men
Aug 18, 2004
✟1,995.00
Faith
Christian
Cubes said:
I say yes.

All the family members of Israel ate of the Passover Lamb in Egypt. That passover was a forshadowing of Christ our Passover Lamb, thus, the family of Christ should all partake, regardless of age.

I would not give anything to a newborn that might cause swallowing problems, of course...but only for that reason might I withhold it.
If they have been taught correctly and they believe in Jesus then yes, they should be allowed the communion. My daughter partook with me on New Years Day. What a wonderful way to bring in the new year.

Upvote 0

Cubes

Dec 13, 2004
Boondocks of New York
✟426.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
CrownCaster said:
If they have been taught correctly and they believe in Jesus then yes, they should be allowed the communion. My daughter partook with me on New Years Day. What a wonderful way to bring in the new year.
Certainly, CC. I guess that is what I meant by the "family of Christ," in the truest sense of the word. The issue of partaking of the communion in an unworthy manner is another thing altogether.

Upvote 0

CrownCaster

FlyFishers Of Men
Aug 18, 2004
✟1,995.00
Faith
Christian
Cubes said:
Certainly, CC. I guess that is what I meant by the "family of Christ," in the truest sense of the word. The issue of partaking of the communion in an unworthy manner is another thing altogether.
Absolutely. It is very important that they understand the meaning and signifigance of the Communion. It should not be bread and juice but a real experience for them too.

Upvote 0

Cubes

Dec 13, 2004
Boondocks of New York
✟426.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
nvrbnunloved said:
Yes, I believe they should, as long as they are old enough to understand what it means. Mind you, at the age of 41, I am not sure I fully understand yet the wonders of its significance :bow:
As CrownCaster said, it should not be regarded as bread and juice. But they don't have to "understand" either. An infant would not understand nor should he have to. I believe that children that are brought up in a Christ-headed home do have a good idea who Jesus is and so may partake, without "understanding," any more than they partake of prayer and worship without understanding.

According to Exodus, the questions would come later and we must be prepared to answer them then.

Exodus 12:21: Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said unto them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the passover.

Exodus 12:26-27: And it shall come to pass, when your children shall say unto you, What mean ye by this service? That ye shall say, It [is] the sacrifice of the LORD'S passover, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when he smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses. And the people bowed the head and worshipped.

Luke 18:15-17: Then they also brought infants to Him that He might touch them; but when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to Him and said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it."

Upvote 0

nvrbnunloved

Mrs Andy Broadley
Oct 30, 2004
NE Lincolnshire, England
✟23,889.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Yes, I think I knew that "understand" was not quite the word I was looking for, that`s why I acknowledged that I don`t even "understand" it all. I think as long as a child knows that we take communion to remember who Jesus was and what He did for us, and to honour Him for that, then that is fine. I`m sure others will shoot me down for that, but it`s JHMO. :)

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
How can a child do it 'in remembrance of Me', if a child cannot comprehend who Jesus was or why He died for our sins?

What about the other reasons for baptism? Covenants made, to become part of a fellowship of believers, etc.? How can a child remember the covenant they made, especially if they haven't made a covenant?

Children in our church do not take communion till they are old enough to understand these issues and are baptized. And I agree with that.

Upvote 0

stauron

Only dust on the outside
Dec 26, 2003
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟882.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Jenda said:
How can a child do it 'in remembrance of Me', if a child cannot comprehend who Jesus was or why He died for our sins?

What about the other reasons for baptism? Covenants made, to become part of a fellowship of believers, etc.? How can a child remember the covenant they made, especially if they haven't made a covenant?

Children in our church do not take communion till they are old enough to understand these issues and are baptized. And I agree with that.
I agree. The New Covenant is not like the old.

Is communion a cracker and 1/2 oz of juice? That is where the problem is in my mind.

"communion"/"the lord's supper" is modeled after passover. The passover was a feast. Shared meals were the time when fellowship and community took place. That is the idea of the New Covenant rite that is often confused with crackers and juice.

When we commune with other believers (key element there...) we are fulfilling this. Saints coming together to be one with each other in Christ. That excludes anyone that is not part of Christ's body. Jesus took the most common food and declared that by taking it TOGETHER they were partaking of the New Covenant. I don't think He was trying to make a ritual, I think He was celebrating.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
stauron said:
I agree. The New Covenant is not like the old.

Is communion a cracker and 1/2 oz of juice? That is where the problem is in my mind.

"communion"/"the lord's supper" is modeled after passover. The passover was a feast. Shared meals were the time when fellowship and community took place. That is the idea of the New Covenant rite that is often confused with crackers and juice.

When we commune with other believers (key element there...) we are fulfilling this. Saints coming together to be one with each other in Christ. That excludes anyone that is not part of Christ's body. Jesus took the most common food and declared that by taking it TOGETHER they were partaking of the New Covenant. I don't think He was trying to make a ritual, I think He was celebrating.
I think he was doing both.

Once a month we have a potluck meal after church, and almost every other Sunday we go out as a group to have lunch together after church. And twice a month we have "supper and study". There are lots of times we fellowship together, and my 6 year old participates in them and we celebrate. However, "this do in remembrance of me" sounds like a setting aside time, a time we should focus on remembering Him. In our church, communion is also a time we remember the covenant we made with Him, which, IMO, is part of "remembrance of me". I believe that communion is for those who have a relationship with Christ and have made a covenant with Him, and those who have done neither of those things should refrain from taking communion. There are other celebratory times in the life of the church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Cubes said:
I say yes.

HI there!

:wave:

Define the "family of Christ".... it is the body of believers. A young child is not a part of the body of believers. A young child without the knowledge of sin and it's consequences cannot comprehend what the symbolism of the Lord's Supper is.

~serapha~

Upvote 0

Cubes

Dec 13, 2004
Boondocks of New York
✟426.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Serapha said:
HI there!

Define the "family of Christ".... it is the body of believers. A young child is not a part of the body of believers. A young child without the knowledge of sin and it's consequences cannot comprehend what the symbolism of the Lord's Supper is.

~serapha~

Hi Serapha!

Luke 18:15-17: Then they also brought infants to Him that He might touch them; but when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to Him and said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it."

What is the purpose of celebrating communion? It is an occasion set aside for acknowledging that JESUS is the holy Lamb of God who was crucified in order that we might be saved from death to life. We also acknowledge he is coming again.

I think the question should rather be, who among us partakes of the communion in an unworthy manner? And what does it mean to partake of communion in an unworthy manner? I doubt it is referring to our suckling babes and young children, if indeed we are faithful christians who conduct our families after Christ.

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Cubes said:
Hi Serapha!

What is the purpose of celebrating communion? It is an occasion set aside for acknowledging that JESUS is the holy Lamb of God who was crucified in order that we might be saved from death to life. We also acknowledge he is coming again.

I think the question should rather be, who among us partakes of the communion in an unworthy manner? And what does it mean to partake of communion in an unworthy manner? I doubt it is referring to our suckling babes and young children, if indeed we are faithful christians who conduct our families after Christ.

Hi there!

You changed the subject...

Please define the "family of Christ" by your standard...

Mine is...

The family of Christ is the family of believers.

Certainly infants who are under the age of accountability, should they die, will be received into the presence of God, but are they the "family of Christ".... no not without a profession of faith.

You are teaching your children "works programs" without accountability.

Those children who are partaking "unworthily" were born with original sin, and when you feed them the Lord's Supper you are giving a symbolism of Christ's broken body and spilled blood to someone who has sin in their heart.

If that isn't "unworthy"... tell me where I am thinking wrong.

~serapha~

Upvote 0

Cubes

Dec 13, 2004
Boondocks of New York
✟426.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Serapha said:
Hi there!

You changed the subject...

Please define the "family of Christ" by your standard...

Mine is...

The family of Christ is the family of believers.

Certainly infants who are under the age of accountability, should they die, will be received into the presence of God, but are they the "family of Christ".... no not without a profession of faith.

You are teaching your children "works programs" without accountability.

Those children who are partaking "unworthily" were born with original sin, and when you feed them the Lord's Supper you are giving a symbolism of Christ's broken body and spilled blood to someone who has sin in their heart.

If that isn't "unworthy"... tell me where I am thinking wrong.

~serapha~

Hi Serapha. I enjoy reading short posts but have trouble keeping mine short! Sorry, didn't mean to change the subject on you.

According to the bible, all who call on the name of the Lord and believe that Jesus is risen from the dead shall be saved. On the other hand, James tells us that the demons believe in God and they tremble! Thus everything has to be viewed in a global way through the scriptures. A person can believe and still perish, if Jesus has not been made truly Lord of their lives...

All of Israel had the passover in Exodus. There were no distinctions made along the lines of age groups and accountability. Those who were old enough were expected to be in the house when the Lord passed over. Mothers were expected to carry their young with them so that nobody strayed outside the door.... This was an act of faith as much as anything else. God was not at that time dealing with individual or corporate Jewish sin...except as pertained to whoever was caught outside when the Lord passed over. All partook of the Lamb. Likewise, I believe that christian children below the age of accountability are to be carried in by their parents, until such a time as they can be expected to come in on their own or stay out...if I may use that analogy.

The more I think about it, I realize that Jesus says that unless we believe like little children.... Children have no problem believing.

Noah and his sons got saved.
Lot and his daughters got saved.
On the other hand, Ahab and all his children got killed.
Saul and his sons got killed... even Jonathan, but Mephibosheth was saved and sat at David's table because of the covenant b/n Jonathan and David.
The warden in the new testament prison where Paul and Silas were set free, was saved, went home and baptised his whole family after Christ. Suppose some of his children were toddlers and younger...

I think that when Joshua said "as for me and my house we shall serve the Lord," he meant just that, and that response extended to even the very youngest of his family.

How might we understand all this in the context of christian children, in the case where one parent is unsaved? Paul says they are sanctified. So I believe the very young are sanctified up until they can decide on their own.

I agree with you that as the children grow in understanding, they are expected to make a personal decision.

Talk to you later. Goodnight for now.

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Cubes said:
A person can believe and still perish, if Jesus has not been made truly Lord of their lives...

Hi there!

Are you familiar with Lordship Salvation? It's a false sense of salvation. One is saved by their faith in who Jesus was/is and what Jesus did/will do for you... There is no requirement that Jesus be Lord of their life to be a professing Christian....

All of Israel had the passover in Exodus. There were no distinctions made along the lines of age groups and accountability. Those who were old enough were expected to be in the house when the Lord passed over. Mothers were expected to carry their young with them so that nobody strayed outside the door.... This was an act of faith as much as anything else. God was not at that time dealing with individual or corporate Jewish sin...except as pertained to whoever was caught outside when the Lord passed over. All partook of the Lamb.

And all knew why they were eating the lamb, right?

Likewise, I believe that christian children below the age of accountability are to be carried in by their parents, until such a time as they can be expected to come in on their own or stay out...if I may use that analogy.

Christian children are not above other children in God's eyes... are they? They are all in the same innocence, deserving of the same love and mercy of God.

The more I think about it, I realize that Jesus says that unless we believe like little children.... Children have no problem believing.

Noah and his sons got saved.
Lot and his daughters got saved.
On the other hand, Ahab and all his children got killed.
Saul and his sons got killed... even Jonathan, but Mephibosheth was saved and sat at David's table because of the covenant b/n Jonathan and David.

You are equating being physically saved with being spiritually saved.

The warden in the new testament prison where Paul and Silas were set free, was saved, went home and baptised his whole family after Christ. Suppose some of his children were toddlers and younger...

You know... that theory is what a friend of mine calls the jello theory....

"It wiggles and it shakes, and it moves to accomodate... In the end, it melts under heat, or smashes under pressure, or it gets consumed"

That is presumptive to believe that there were infants that were saved or baptized without the full knowledge of the Gospel of Christ and it conflicts with the plan of salvation.

I think that when Joshua said "as for me and my house we shall serve the Lord," he meant just that, and that response extended to even the very youngest of his family.

Job sacrificed for his children daily, but it didn't save them.

How might we understand all this in the context of christian children, in the case where one parent is unsaved? Paul says they are sanctified. So I believe the very young are sanctified up until they can decide on their own.

They are sanctified, or set apart as holy, but they are not saved, free of original sin and worthy of the communion plate.

I agree with you that as the children grow in understanding, they are expected to make a personal decision.

Talk to you later. Goodnight for now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cubes

Dec 13, 2004
Boondocks of New York
✟426.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Serapha said:
Hi there!

Are you familiar with Lordship Salvation? It's a false sense of salvation. One is saved by their faith in who Jesus was/is and what Jesus did/will do for you... There is no requirement that Jesus be Lord of their life to be a professing Christian....

No, never heard of Lordship Salvation. As far as I know, Jesus said that those who love him would abide in him and obey his commandments. That is the criteria I use for myself.

And all knew why they were eating the lamb, right?

Did Moses relay the Lord's instructions to the elders? Yes.

Exodus 12: 3- 4 Speak to all the congregation of Israel, saying: 'On the tenth of this month every man shall take for himself a lamb, according to the house of his father, a lamb for a household. And if the household is too small for the lamb, let him and his neighbor next to his house take it according to the number of the persons; according to each man's need you shall make your count for the lamb.

The KJV uses SOULS instead of Persons.

Did all know or understand? No. For if they did, we should not have this statement: It's the same style of argument Paul uses in Galatians, etc.

Exodus 12:26-27: And it shall be, WHEN your children say to you, 'What do you mean by this service?' that you shall say, 'It is the Passover sacrifice of the Lord, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt when He struck the Egyptians and delivered our households.'" So the people bowed their heads and worshiped.

Who consisted of the Exodus? What was the demographic?

Exodus 12:37-39 Then the children of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides children. A mixed multitude went up with them also, and flocks and herds--a great deal of livestock. And they baked unleavened cakes of the dough which they had brought out of Egypt; for it was not leavened, because they were driven out of Egypt and could not wait, nor had they prepared provisions for themselves.

Christian children are not above other children in God's eyes... are they? They are all in the same innocence, deserving of the same love and mercy of God.

In light of the current world events, I have felt that there is a time of mourning and a time of celebration. Right now, we mourn. But you make a valid point so I will answer it with the three passages of scripture below:

a) John 3:13-21.

b) Matthew 11:20-24: Then He began to rebuke the cities in which most of His mighty works had been done, because they did not repent: "Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon in the day of judgment than for you. And you, Capernaum, who* are exalted to heaven, will be brought down to Hades; for if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I say to you that it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment than for you."

c) Luke 13:2-5 And Jesus answered and said to them, "Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish."</SPAN>

1. As humanity, we were all in the same boat. Jesus had to come to all of us. That is how God showed his love to all and still does show his love. Whosoever will may come.

2. what we do in the course of daily living impacts our children...including babies in the womb. Some decisions have eternal impact. Christians and non-christians both have responsibilities here. One to get the message out and the other, to heed the message. I love the song titled after Deuteronomy --CHOOSE LIFE THAT YOU MAY LIVE. (**Does anyone know who sang it?. Great, great song).

3. God is just. He causes his sun to shine on the godly as well as the ungodly. And as Paul said in Romans 8, even we who have the first fruits do groan. Elsewhere, he said, "we die daily." Only God knows who is who and why.

You are equating being physically saved with being spiritually saved.

Not at all. There is divine judgment that comes to the sons of disobedience. We have been under judgment all these years since Adam and Eve ate of that tree! We die daily indeed, and we groan... the creation groans.... And yet we live and shall live because he lives.

The bible uses the physical elements of the OT to explain and give insight to the spiritual elements of the NT. How else shall we make the connection? God knows our makeup and limitations, and he does use foolish things to confound the wise.

You know... that theory is what a friend of mine calls the jello theory....
"It wiggles and it shakes, and it moves to accomodate... In the end, it melts under heat, or smashes under pressure, or it gets consumed"

That is presumptive to believe that there were infants that were saved or baptized without the full knowledge of the Gospel of Christ and it conflicts with the plan of salvation.

Job sacrificed for his children daily, but it didn't save them.

They are sanctified, or set apart as holy, but they are not saved, free of original sin and worthy of the communion plate.

It is presumptive indeed to think there were or weren't children. Fact is we do not know. He simply conducted his whole house after God...such as they were.

Job's issues were not related to judgment but to trial. He is part of item #3 above.

And now regarding baptism, I was baptised as an adult and have not baptised my children till some were old enough to decide.

Christ waited till he is his 30s...but then so did his ministry. Children also walked through the red sea and the Jordan. What does it mean? I say, one may perish even after baptism if Jesus is not Lord of their lives, though they were baptised at 100 years old or 6 months old. It all boils down to:

Jhn 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, [then] are ye my disciples indeed;

Lastly, I think we can safely rely on Romans 14 for this. Some eat unto God. And others eat not unto God. As long as our conscience does not condemn us.

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Cubes said:
Jhn 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, [then] are ye my disciples indeed; Lastly, I think we can safely rely on Romans 14 for this. Some eat unto God. And others eat not unto God. As long as our conscience does not condemn us.

Hi there!

I think the thread is entirely off topic now..... In summary, the Lord spoke at the Last Supper, "do this in remembrance of me."

If a child cannot "remember" Christ, they should not be participating. The purpose of the communion is to be partakers with Christ in remembrance of Him... the body of believers.

If you train up a child in the way that he should go, he will not depart from it, right? How much better to train your child that the day that he truly believes, that he will be allowed to be a real participant rather than a spectator.

But until ANYONE believes, should they partake of the communion, it is unworthily done.

~serapha~

Upvote 0

stauron

Only dust on the outside
Dec 26, 2003
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟882.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Serapha said:
Hi there!

I think the thread is entirely off topic now..... In summary, the Lord spoke at the Last Supper, "do this in remembrance of me."

If a child cannot "remember" Christ, they should not be participating. The purpose of the communion is to be partakers with Christ in remembrance of Him... the body of believers.

If you train up a child in the way that he should go, he will not depart from it, right? How much better to train your child that the day that he truly believes, that he will be allowed to be a real participant rather than a spectator.

But until ANYONE believes, should they partake of the communion, it is unworthily done.

~serapha~
Good point. I still say it comes back to the definition of the New Covenant. What does it mean in Hebrews 8 where, in the NC, you won't need to teach you brother to know the Lord?

Because if he is your brother in the NC it means that he is also of the Lord.

The NC is better because the members are not subject to the same problems as the OC. Their conscience is washed and clean and they are forgiven. You can't undo the blood of Christ. It doesn't "cover" the stains like the blood of bulls and goats.

By definition, it excludes those that don't know the Lord. We can argue about infants and abortions and the mentally disabled, but Serapha's point is basically the point...

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Serapha said:
Hi there!

~serapha~
I agree. I don't think that anyone should take communion unless they are believers. This includes not only children but adults too. My children did not take communion until they came to Jesus and accepted Him as their Lord and Savior. Of course when we were lds, my kids always took the lds sacrement because the lds church teaches that children should take it to get in the habit of it, basically. However, when we left the LDS church, things were different.

They (my children) watched me take communion several times and asked me a lot of questions about it and what it meant but they did not take it themselves until they accepted Jesus and actually understood and appreciated just what it meant to partake of the Lord's Supper.

I think it is wrong to have children or anyone else take communion if they have not accepted Jesus.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.