Should a Christian seek what is allowed in their life?

2win

Dec 11, 2008
✟64,388.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Yes Tall73, that is what I am asking; another way to put it is , if God didn't say; "Thou shalt not!", then is it OK for a born again Christian to do X Y or Z? Should a Christian walk as close to the edge as possible with falling over the cliff, or should I stay as far away from the edge as I can. I think it comes down to seeking what I can get away with to please myself, opposed to seeking what is pleasing God. Everyone has an answer worth examining!

Upvote 0

th1bill

A Believer/Follower
Jul 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟70,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes Tall73, that is what I am asking; another way to put it is , if God didn't say; "Thou shalt not!", then is it OK for a born again Christian to do X Y or Z? Should a Christian walk as close to the edge as possible with falling over the cliff, or should I stay as far away from the edge as I can. I think it comes down to seeking what I can get away with to please myself, opposed to seeking what is pleasing God. Everyone has an answer worth examining!
We are called in several scriptures to be a peculiar people and to live a Holy Life. We are to move as close to God as we can by modeling our lives after the example found in Jesus, the Christ. there is a free source I pray, if you are a Babe in Christ, you will learn to use and load into your computer as well as purchasing a hard copy.

One of the best programs for running this is the e-Sword Bible study program found at e-sword.net. It run in Windoze and with wine it runs in Linux, any of the more than one thousand falvors that will run Wine. As a program it is known as Naves and in the hard copy it is titled the Nave's Topical Study Bible. Mine cost e twemty-five dollars and is worth a fortune.

May God bless you and yours.

Upvote 0

Drumfan84

Jun 11, 2014
Tennessee
✟15,290.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it might be a situational decision. If you're willing putting yourself in a position to get as close to something sinful as possible, naturally the temptation to sin will be greater, and I would feel that's something to stay away from. If the threat of temptation is gone, or not nearly as strong, and the action/situation brings you happiness, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Upvote 0

2win

Dec 11, 2008
✟64,388.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
I can guarantee you I am not a "babe" in Christ; and from what I have read from your own statements about yourself, I have been preaching the gospel longer than you have been a Christian 1Bill; but I certainly thank you for your concern for me; and may our Lord and Savior teach, and guide you on the straight, and narrow

Upvote 0

2win

Dec 11, 2008
✟64,388.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Some of are probably wondering why I would ask such question being a minister of God's word. Well the answer is because I have, and have had through the years people to tell me it was OK to do different things that I thing are "borderline" things that dishonor God, or are sin against God. Take cursing for an example; does cursing glorify God, or dishonor? There are many more examples that can be used. I will confess to you; I make mistakes, and I sometime am wrong about "my opinion". Some folks turn their opinion into the gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some of are probably wondering why I would ask such question being a minister of God's word. Well the answer is because I have, and have had through the years people to tell me it was OK to do different things that I thing are "borderline" things that dishonor God, or are sin against God. Take cursing for an example; does cursing glorify God, or dishonor? There are many more examples that can be used. I will confess to you; I make mistakes, and I sometime am wrong about "my opinion". Some folks turn their opinion into the gospel.

In general it is best not to look for the limits just to push them.

On the other hand, you have to also be honest with yourself and examine whether at times you are making legalistic restrictions that should not be there, and then placing those on folks who cannot bear up under them--see the pharisees for example.

If you are going to error though, go for further from the edge. The heart is deceitful above all things. The sinful nature is a master at rationalization in the heat of the moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoshuaDaryl

Soldier of the Lord
Apr 27, 2014
Greene county IN. U.S.A,
✟15,906.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

This parallels the thread I had on the law. This here is the heart of my whole purpose for that thread. :) People are taking Grace as a license to live anyway they please, when instead we should live in the way that pleases God.

Upvote 0

th1bill

A Believer/Follower
Jul 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟70,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This parallels the thread I had on the law. This here is the heart of my whole purpose for that thread. :) People are taking Grace as a license to live anyway they please, when instead we should live in the way that pleases God.
I wish you had been allowed to say that in the other string. But so many take the liberty as a license to din when the truth is that Jesus gave us the freedom to do what we had no right to ever do before, we can worship God in truth and in spirit now. And when we reach the point of freedom the Spiritual Truth we find in the Old Testament is a beautiful thing.

May God bless the study of His Word.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish you had been allowed to say that in the other string. But so many take the liberty as a license to din when the truth is that Jesus gave us the freedom to do what we had no right to ever do before, we can worship God in truth and in spirit now. And when we reach the point of freedom the Spiritual Truth we find in the Old Testament is a beautiful thing.

May God bless the study of His Word.

Well now we have a thread to discuss it that avoids the difficult verbage of "the law". Hopefully this gets more to what his intent was.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

1 Thes 5:22

Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Don't ever ride the edge. Even though you don't participate, you are there and people that see you will think that you are participating. Thereby your witness for Christ has non effect in their mind. If the others are doing evil and you are there, then you have pleasure in the same, even though you are not participating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums