✟170,960.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Shavuot Under The Stars
Saturday, May 23rd Getaway @ Great Wall (Beijing China)

Kehillat Beijing
http://www.sinogogue.org/

NEWSLETTER

Kehillat will be celebrating Rabbi Jack's return and holding a community get-together for "Shavuot Under The Stars" on Saturday, May 23rd at Ted & Roberta's Great Wall House. It'll be similar to other gatherings up near the wall - good hiking, good company, family-friendly programming (and mostly free time), as well as some beer drinking and music-making.

Many will be driving up on their own, but if there are enough in need we will arrange for a bus or a van as well. Costs will be minimal - for those staying in the village inn, as well as the cost of transportation (likely no more than 100-200rmb total). Rooms at the inn are around 100rmb, or 50rmb if you share. There's also space for "camping" in the Great Wall House, if you want to bring a sleeping bag.

It's Shavuot tradition to stay up all night - or as long as people can hold out - to welcome the anniversary of receiving of the Ten Commandments. Please bring anything you think would make the weekend extra fun - we'd like to have some snacks for noshing, activities planned for the kids, beer and other drinks for the kids-at-heart, musical instruments around for jamming, and some discussion topics prepared as well, a la Kehillat's own D'var Tradition.

I myself (Yusuphhai) did not go with them. They don't know me. Maybe later I will contact them and have opportunity to take part in their Shabbat activities.

Happy Shavuot to All!

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks for the links. Earlier today i visited a Jewish Cemetery and enjoyed watching the activty and asking a few questions. Like the custom of putting small stones on a headstone. Your post got me to wondering when Beijing established its first Jewish Cemetery. With some googling learned some very interesting history that you already know, but would like to share a little more info about the Jewish influx to Beijin in the first half of the 20th Century for others.
Cemetery guards said that the Huangshan Cemetery in Harbin is home to the biggest and best-preserved Jewish cemetery in East Asia, covering a space of 836 square meters. Over 600 Jewish people are buried there. Most of them were Jews of Russian nationality who came to Harbin in the first half of the 20th century. Over 20,000 Jewish people moved to Harbin to avoid prosecution and discrimination in other countries. The people of Harbin treated the Jews well and showed their compassion to the expatriates.

Harbin was acknowledged in the world as a "City of Music" in the first half of the 20th century. He attributed the recognition to Jewish musicians. From the 1920s, a large number of eminent Jewish musicians gathered in Harbin, either making performances or teaching people how to play musical instruments. Their positive activities greatly promoted the musical appreciation of the Harbin people.
http://www.bjreview.com.cn/special/jews_in_harbin/txt/2008-07/29/content_138557.htm

Thanks for posting the informative link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yusuphhai
Upvote 0