Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
The great means of the conversion of sinners is the Word of God, and the more closely we keep to it in our ministry the more likely we are to be successful. It is God's Word rather than man's comment on God's Word which is made mighty with souls. When the law drives and the gospel draws, the action is different but the end is one, for by God's Spirit the soul is made to yield, and cries, "Turn me, and I shall be turned." Try men's depraved nature with philosophy and reasoning, and it laughs your efforts to scorn, but the Word of God soon works a transformation.

Spurgeon

Upvote 0

McWilliams

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Texas
✟15,077.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
C.S. Lewis:

"As mere biological entities, each with its own separate will to live and to expand, we are apparently of no account, we are 'crossfodder'. But as organs in the Body of Christ, as stones and pillars of the temple, we are assurred of our external self-identity and shall live to remember the galaxies as an old tale!"

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]ON MUSIC
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Music is an outstanding gift of God and next to theology. I would not give up my slight knowledge of music for a great consideration. And youth should be taught this art; for it makes fine skillful people (W-T 3, No. 3815).

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Nor am I at all of the opinion that all the arts are to be overthrown and cast aside by the Gospel, as some superspiritual people protest; but I would gladly see all the arts, especially music, in the service of Him who has given and created them (W 35, 474).
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Martin Luther
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
"Whatever religion or doctrine condones or makes allowances for sin is not of Christ. The Doctrine of Christ everywhere teaches self-denial and mortification of worldliness and sin. The whole stream of the gospel runs against those things. Scripture emphasizes the 'holy' and the 'heavenly' (not the sinful and the worldly). The true gospel has not even the slightest tendency to extol corrupt nature, or feed it's pride by magnifying it's freedom and power. And it rejects everything that undermines or obscures the merit of Christ, or tries to give any credit to man, in any way. And it certainly never makes the death of Christ a cloak to cover sin, but rather it always speaks of it as an instrument that destroys it!"

John Flavel

Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
"The great sin of not believing in the Lord Jesus Christ is often spoken of very lightly and in a very trifling spirit, as though it were scarcely any sin at all; yet, according to my text, and, indeed, according to the whole tenor of the Scriptures, unbelief is the giving of God the lie, and what can be worse?" (Spurgeon)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
I just loved reading this today...and am learning the truth of what is said here.

Repentance, not despair

“Those who are truly religious experience what sort of punishments are shame, confusion, groaning, displeasure with self, and other emotions that arise out of a lively recognition of sin.
Yet we must remember to exercise restraint, lest sorrow engulf us. For nothing more readily happens to fearful consciences than falling into despair. And whomever Satan sees overwhelmed by the fear of God he more and more submerges in that deeper whirlpool of sorrow that they may never rise again.
In this way we flee from God, who calls us to himself through repentance.”
- John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, 3.3.15

Taken from this blog...http://firstimportance.org/

Upvote 0

Amylisa

Yeshua's love is my life
Mar 29, 2006
Visit site
✟23,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just loved reading this today...and am learing the truth of what is said here.

Repentance, not despair

“Those who are truly religious experience what sort of punishments are shame, confusion, groaning, displeasure with self, and other emotions that arise out of a lively recognition of sin.
Yet we must remember to exercise restraint, lest sorrow engulf us. For nothing more readily happens to fearful consciences than falling into despair. And whomever Satan sees overwhelmed by the fear of God he more and more submerges in that deeper whirlpool of sorrow that they may never rise again.
In this way we flee from God, who calls us to himself through repentance.”
- John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, 3.3.15

Taken from this blog...http://firstimportance.org/

That is a great quote!:thumbsup:

Reactions: angelwind
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
" In a world where God has not chosen to exclude sin from His permissive will for the believer , why should we assume that suffering is excluded ? If every Christian were well and healthy , if perfect health was a guaranteed benefit of the atonement , millions of people would be stampeeding to "get saved" --- but for the wrong reason. God wants people to come to Him in repentance for sin and because of His Glory , not because they see Him as a panacea for their physical ills. "

John MacArthur

Reactions: McWilliams
Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Waiting for Christ’s return

“The true Scriptural source of consolation, in the face of all that troubles us, is to keep steadily before our eyes the second coming of Christ.
We must grasp and realize the blessed fact that the rightful King of the world is returning soon, and shall have His own again; that He shall put down that old usurper, the devil, and take away the curse from off the earth.
Let us cultivate the habit of daily looking forward to the resurrection of the dead, the gathering together of the saints, the restitution of all things, the banishment of sorrow and sin, and the re-establishment of a new kingdom, of which the rule shall be righteousness.”
- J.C. Ryle, “Looking Unto Jesus”
(HT: Thoughts on the Way)

Published in:
on May 16, 2008 at 1:00 am Comments (0)

Reactions: McWilliams
Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
More Than We Ever Dared Hope

“The gospel of justifying faith means that while Christians are, in themselves still sinful and sinning, yet in Christ, in God’s sight, they are accepted and righteous. So we can say that we are more wicked than we ever dared believe, but more loved and accepted in Christ than we ever dared hope — at the very same time. This creates a radical new dynamic for personal growth. It means that the more you see your own flaws and sins, the more precious, electrifying, and amazing God’s grace appears to you. But on the other hand, the more aware you are of God’s grace and acceptance in Christ, the more able you are to drop your denials and self-defenses and admit the true dimensions and character of your sin.”
- Timothy Keller, Paul’s Letter to the Galatians: Living in Line with the Truth of the Gospel (Redeemer Presbyterian Church, 2003), 2.

Published in:
on May 18, 2008 at 12:02 am

I just listened to John Piper speaking on the life of Charles Simeon and he touched on this subject...so I am beginning to see the light in this area...:) Sure is slow going for me tho...LOL

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I thank God I do not believe that I was redeemed the same way that Judas was, and
no more. If so, I shall go to hell as Judas did. General redemption is not worth
anything to anybody, for of itself it secures to no one a place in heaven: but the
special redemption which does redeem, and redeems men out of the rest of mankind,
is the redemption that is to be prayed for, and for which we shall praise God for ever
and ever.

C H Spurgeon

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
A great many learned men are defending the gospel; no doubt it is a very proper and
right thing to do, yet I always notice that, when there are most books of that kind, it
is because the gospel itself is not being preached. Suppose a number of persons were
to take it into their heads that they had to defend a lion, a full-grown king of beasts!
There he is in the cage, and here come all the soldiers of the army to fight for him.
Well, I should suggest to them, if they would not object, and feel that it was humbling
to them, that they should kindly stand back, and open the door, and let the lion out!
I believe that would be the best way of defending him, for he would take care of
himself; and the best “apology” for the gospel is to let the gospel out.

C H Spurgeon

Upvote 0