Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The sexual chaos and idolatry conquered by the early church has come roaring back -- and today's Christians don't know what time it is.

That image above is a sculpture of the early church virgin martyr Cecilia in the Roman church that bears her name, in the city's Trastevere neighborhood. The photo is by Richard Stracke. The sculpture is made from a description of an eyewitness who said the saint's incorrupt body looked like this when the tomb was opened in 1599.

As I've written in this space in recent days, my trip last week to the ruins of the ancient Asia Minor cities, where the Seven Churches of Revelation met, jarred me into considering the vast difference between early Christian ideas about sex and sexuality, and that of the polytheistic Roman world in which the Christians lived. Curious to know more, I bought and read historian Kyle Harper's 2013 book about how the advent of Christianity caused a sexual revolution in Rome of late antiquity. It's really quite something. Let me tell you what I learned, and what it has to do with our situation today. It's more complicated than you might think.

Continued below.