✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
quatona said:
I don´t know. What makes you think so? Was Columbine the sort of behaviour your schools are teaching your kids?:confused:

Consiering how Harris & Klebold, the Columbine Killers, targeted Chrsitians, gays, and minorities, we should easily find common ground, huh?:holy:

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
JGG said:
The irony in this thread is killing me!

What's ironic is that you find it ironic. Why? Because if you realized that tolerance is a two way street you would not see any irony.

While it appears that the scuffle the boys had is not as bad as I originally thought I can easily see things getting worse in the future because of what I just stated above.
Our schools are teaching kids that anyone who has an objection to homosexual behavior or other bizarre sexuality is a bigot and a hatemonger, meanwhile telling them that by going against their parents' values they are being open-minded and tolerant. I experienced this both in college and a little in high school. What's ironic is that the so-called tolerant people behave in a way that shows what they really think is "You should tolerate what I do while I condemn you". Twisted.

Upvote 0

Spherical Time

Reality has a well known Liberal bias.
Apr 20, 2005
New York City
Visit site
✟11,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
KarateCowboy said:
You may not agree with them, but that doesn't give you the right to call them bigots and force your beliefs on them.
Actually, calling them bigots is fine, unless they can prove that you were both lying and the lie harmed them financially.

You're right though, forcing your beliefs on someone else is bad.

Please note thought, that the government does not currently share your beliefs, or mine. The govenment can enforce it's laws on those people subject to them.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
KarateCowboy said:
Our schools are teaching kids that anyone who has an objection to homosexual behavior or other bizarre sexuality is a bigot...

Anyone who seems to think it's okay to refer to "homosexual behavior or other bizarre sexuality" implying homosexuality is one form of "bizarre sexuality" is certainly telegraphing their own biases.

Upvote 0

beechy

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
✟12,390.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
KarateCowboy said:
What's ironic is that you find it ironic. Why? Because if you realized that tolerance is a two way street you would not see any irony.

While it appears that the scuffle the boys had is not as bad as I originally thought I can easily see things getting worse in the future because of what I just stated above.
Our schools are teaching kids that anyone who has an objection to homosexual behavior or other bizarre sexuality is a bigot and a hatemonger, meanwhile telling them that by going against their parents' values they are being open-minded and tolerant. I experienced this both in college and a little in high school. What's ironic is that the so-called tolerant people behave in a way that shows what they really think is "You should tolerate what I do while I condemn you". Twisted.
These are SEVEN YEAR OLD CHILDREN we're talking about here. Tolerant, intolerant, bigoted, whatever ... these grown up labels don't apply in tyke land. No one in this thread has said it is cool for a group of kids to beat up another kid.

Upvote 0

Toboe

Jun 18, 2005
Danville Virginia
✟16,097.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

spinto

Jun 26, 2003
Texas
✟850.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
KarateCowboy said:
http://am.novopress.info/?p=1766

http://www2.townonline.com/lexington/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=516786

It's a shame that such hatred exists just for being different. The boy didn't even do anything. Is this the type of intolerance our schools are teaching our kids?

Beating the boy was wrong. How sad and horrible. It's a shame that hatred exsist. Not JUST hatred for this boy's Dad's stance, but all hatred.

There has been, rapings, killings and beatings of gay boys and girls and of pro-gay activists... This too is horrible. And it's a shame that such hatred exsists for people these people who are "different".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

spinto

Jun 26, 2003
Texas
✟850.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
KarateCowboy said:

You shouldn't generalize.

Tolerant people are tolerant... Others who beat, hurt, murder, and harrass are not tolerant. There are doing our society a great wrong.

There are pro-gay tolerant people. And there are pro-gay intolerant people. The same is for the other side.

Upvote 0

Brimshack

Mar 23, 2002
Arizona
✟12,010.00
Faith
Atheist
KarateCowboy said:
Time and time again I see people condemning others for having different beliefs. When people are closed-minded they tend to lash out at others who have different beliefs. Usually this is out of fear, which is caused because people fear what they do not understand. This is why it is so important to remain open-minded --otherwise we end up hating those who are different.

To argue against someone else's sexual orientation while preaching open-mindedness is double speak at its finest.

KarateCowboy said:
If people were only a little more open-minded they would see that people who disagree with homosexual behavior aren't motivated by bigotry but out of sense of sexual morality that in part comes from the natural biological reproductive order, and partially from higher spiritual and social ideologies.

Your assertion that these moralities are higher is comletely baseless. In any event, when you consciously hurt others, as those who oppose gay rights do, we are entitled to assume malicious intent. You can make up whatever stories you want, point to any scribblings from old books that you want, and even invoke the pop-relativism that says we have to take your motivations into account on the matter. The bottom line is that the conflict in this instance starts on your end. So long as Evangelical Christians continue to harm homosexuals, they can take responsibility for the malice that is absolutely manifest in their own actions.

KarateCowboy said:
You may not agree with them, but that doesn't give you the right to call them bigots and force your beliefs on them.

The thesis to which you were responding was the claim that we ought to take children away from those who oppose homosexuality. We can certainly do that without calling them bigots. So, do you support taking children away from homosexual parents or denying them the right to adopt? If so, then the same logic applies. Or is it okay to deny people a chance for family life, just so long as we don't call them any names while doing so?

Opposition to Homosexuality is bigotry, no more and no less. It is no less so because it is wrapped in the language of faith and hidden behind the name of Jesus. Your gods are your business; how you treat others is a public matter. And when your actions harm others, the proper measure of those actions is the actual impact on others' lives, not the ideological garbage that you or anyone else can drag out in defence of your mental state when doing so.

Reactions: quatona
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
KarateCowboy said:

Are you saying I'm intolerant because I don't tolerate your intolerance? That's actually pretty ironic.

Well obviously you can see it happening, you seem to be looking quite intensely to find it.

Our schools are teaching kids that anyone who has an objection to homosexual behavior or other bizarre sexuality is a bigot and a hatemonger....

Well calling homosexual behavior bizarre sexuality, is sort of like saying "people who aren't like me," isn't it? That skates pretty close to bigotry, don't ya think?

meanwhile telling them that by going against their parents' values they are being open-minded and tolerant.

What if their parents are closeminded and intolerant?

I experienced this both in college and a little in high school. What's ironic is that the so-called tolerant people behave in a way that shows what they really think is "You should tolerate what I do while I condemn you". Twisted.

So we shouldn't force our inclusive ideas on racists, or tell them that racism is bad? Is that it?

You're kind of talking yourself in circles here.

Let me put it this way: What other groups in the United States do you believe must not have the opportunity to do, what you should have the opportunity to do?

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
JGG said:
Are you saying I'm intolerant because I don't tolerate your intolerance? That's actually pretty ironic.

Tolerance is a two-way street. Some people around here still even tolerate racism. But usually, racism leads to violent actions. Homophobia, most of the time, doesn't, for now.

Although I've noticed from personal experience that pro-gay activists are growing increasingly violent just because they feel they can get away with it, the media is on their side.

By the way, I'm not anti-gay, I'm neutral.

Upvote 0