"Seven Cardinal Vices"

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I am well aware of the seven capital vices, taught and expressed in popular culture. When I first heard of it, the "seven capital vices" are commonly rephrased as "seven deadly sins". However, since I am not sure how these sins can be deadly, if a simple moderation of certain feelings are developed to control these "sins", I am going to call them "seven capital vices". I mean, I do recognize these feelings can be deadly, if actions are taken to the extreme, but just a little bit of these feelings is what makes humans human. Seriously, what kind of person have never really felt envious of another? Being envious of another person's high marks on a grade report can be a positive experience, in my opinion, because I think that's how a person can know his own weaknesses in academia and improve himself in school. :p

These are the capital vices: wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony. OK, I'll come out and admit that I have been wrathful, greedy, slothful, proud, envious, gluttonous, and lustful (for power and knowledge, but not for sex, even though the term seems to be largely associated with sex). Since there are two types of sins, mortal/deadly and venial, I suppose I have fulfilled all the sins... simply for being a normal human being? This is why I never really understood Catholic/Christian theology. If being a Christian means to deprive oneself of natural human feelings, then I do not think I can ever be a good Christian (as opposed to a Christian hypocrite by believing in something that can never be attained). Since mortal sins bring eternal damnation, I guess I'd be eternally damned in hell, if such a place really does exist after death. The only loophole is to hope that hell does not exist.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The "seven deadly sins" are medieval categories of sin. They can be forgiven in the normal manner that God forgives sins. However, Catholics teach that they can send a born-again Christian to Hell, IIRC.

I as a Protestant believe that all sins are deadly (Romans 6:23) but I do not believe that these sins can undo one's salvation (John 10:28-29, 2 Timothy 2:11-13, 1 Peter 1:23).

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The "seven deadly sins" are medieval categories of sin. They can be forgiven in the normal manner that God forgives sins. However, Catholics teach that they can send a born-again Christian to Hell, IIRC.

I as a Protestant believe that all sins are deadly (Romans 6:23) but I do not believe that these sins can undo one's salvation (John 10:28-29, 2 Timothy 2:11-13, 1 Peter 1:23).

You know, the alternative is not believing in hell. ;) Have you ever considered this option? :)

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Hestha. All Mankind have committed these seven cardinal vices, and that is the reason why we are on Earth to learn to UNdo them. Jesus told Nicodemus: " Thou must be born again," and the Bible also tells us " Repent,"
change from being selfish to becoming: " 1) Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds. 2) Love our neighbour as ourselves."
In Matthew 22, verses 35-40, Jesus tells us that on these Commandments,
to Love God with all our beings, and love our neighbour as ourselves, hang all
the Law and the Prophets. God wants our Love, freely given and no conditions
tagged on. How can we do this?
As a start, we treat all we know and all we meet, as we would love to be treated: with kind words and friendly smiles, become loving and caring as God Loves us and wants our very best. I know this does not come easy, ( we have lived too long doing our own likes and wills.) God does not force or coerce us in any way, we have free will, however, to love and care, to give all honour and praise to God, who made us in His own image, and to treat our neighbour as we would want to be treated, we are All God`s children/sons and daughters.
We might stumble and forget often, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on loving and caring. Jesus our Savioue will give us His Love and Joy,
and the Holy Spirit will empower us with His Love, also. Jesus told us:
" ask and receive," then we thank God and share all Love and Joy with all around us. God will see our sincere efforts, and God will approve and bless us.
Matthew 7, verses 7-8) Jesus will help and guide us all the way, in fact:
Jesus is The Way.
God is Love and those Seven Cardinal Vices, belong to this imperfect world,
to be left behind forever. I say this with love, Hestha.
Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I am well aware of the seven capital vices, taught and expressed in popular culture. When I first heard of it, the "seven capital vices" are commonly rephrased as "seven deadly sins". However, since I am not sure how these sins can be deadly, if a simple moderation of certain feelings are developed to control these "sins", I am going to call them "seven capital vices". I mean, I do recognize these feelings can be deadly, if actions are taken to the extreme, but just a little bit of these feelings is what makes humans human. Seriously, what kind of person have never really felt envious of another? Being envious of another person's high marks on a grade report can be a positive experience, in my opinion, because I think that's how a person can know his own weaknesses in academia and improve himself in school. :p

These are the capital vices: wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony. OK, I'll come out and admit that I have been wrathful, greedy, slothful, proud, envious, gluttonous, and lustful (for power and knowledge, but not for sex, even though the term seems to be largely associated with sex). Since there are two types of sins, mortal/deadly and venial, I suppose I have fulfilled all the sins... simply for being a normal human being? This is why I never really understood Catholic/Christian theology. If being a Christian means to deprive oneself of natural human feelings, then I do not think I can ever be a good Christian (as opposed to a Christian hypocrite by believing in something that can never be attained). Since mortal sins bring eternal damnation, I guess I'd be eternally damned in hell, if such a place really does exist after death. The only loophole is to hope that hell does not exist.

In Patristic/Medieval thought these seven sins have two teaching functions:

1) They're the counter to the Seven Cardinal Virtues
2) They are the origin of all other sins.

They are, in that sense, "mother sins" if one wants to think of it that way. They are not a unique category of sin, greater or worse than any other, but are rather categorically used as a means of recognizing other sin.

These seven, in shorthand, express the common sinfulness of all human beings--these are the base passions. Traditional ethical teaching involves cultivating the Cardinal Virtues and expunging the Cardinal Vices.

Christian moral teaching is not about depriving ourselves of the joy or fun of life; but rather to have a moral compass by which to direct ourselves in a way patterned after Christ for the sake of others. Christian ethical teaching would argue that the true joy of life cannot be found in the self-indulgent, but in discovery of life in others. Ultimately only God can satisfy what the soul longs most deeply for, Him being the Summum Bonum, the highest good.

The Vices are like a diet of sugar and candy, they may be sweet for a time; but they are empty calories and can only lead to nausea and in the long run are fatal (not to mention, you'll get sick of it after a while); the Virtues are like a balanced diet with vegetables, they may not always be the tastiest in the short term, but they are nutritious, rich, substantial and in the long run give vitality to life (not to mention, you'll learn to enjoy them after a while).

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The Vices are like a diet of sugar and candy, they may be sweet for a time; but they are empty calories and can only lead to nausea and in the long run are fatal (not to mention, you'll get sick of it after a while); the Virtues are like a balanced diet with vegetables, they may not always be the tastiest in the short term, but they are nutritious, rich, substantial and in the long run give vitality to life (not to mention, you'll learn to enjoy them after a while).

-CryptoLutheran

Although I do see your point, I think there are some differences between sweets and vices or vegetables and virtues. With sugar and candy, you can eat them as a treat or reward. Would you be well treated to a cardinal vice? Also, a balanced diet loaded with fruits and vegetables and whole grains and a bit of protein can be very tasty, if your overprotective mother and father feed you healthily and forbid unhealthy activities (smoking, drinking alcohol, consuming drugs without prescription and getting addicted to them, etc.), and discourage activities that may become harmful, and a healthy lifestyle is all you have been accustomed in your whole life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KTskater

Dec 2, 2004
✟21,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're right in saying that these are all normal human feelings. I would be quite surprised to find someone who hasn't committed every one of these sins. I know that I have, and probably commit pride on a daily basis. This is what the Bible calls our sinful nature. Every human is born with these feelings, emotions, inclinations. We want to serve ourselves.
Now, Christianity states that Christ came and died for the sins of all people (whether that is both future AND past is somewhat debated, but I won't get into that now). He died for all of the sins that I would commit in my life. The ones that I committed up until this day, a sin that I committed an hour ago, or one that I will commit tomorrow morning or in five years. In God's foreknowledge, the entirety of my debt is paid, provided that I have entrusted my life to Christ and I'm maintaining a relationship with Him. Christianity is nothing about what you do, but rather who you know. God sees you through Jesus' sacrifice.
Now, this is where things get a little confusing to non-Christians (and to Christians, if I'm honest). We are not saved by good deeds, good thoughts, or good words. Helping the homeless, going to church and respecting my parents WILL NOT get me into heaven. By the same token, going out and getting drunk, murdering people, or gossiping about my neighbor doesn't send me to hell. My sinful nature is what is going to separate me from God, and I'm born with that. It doesn't matter how well or badly I behave.
But Christians are supposed to do good works, right? Yes. Those, however, are not done (or at least shouldn't be) out of obligation. They are something that becomes a part of our nature as spending time with God makes us more like Christ. Your heart changes and becomes more merciful, you desire to help those in need, you are more accepting, you become more humble.
Do Christians still sin? Yes. The flesh (a.k.a our sinful nature) isn't removed from us, and we have free will. However, if our allegiance is still to Christ and we are submitting ourselves to Him, our sins are fought against and we are forgiven.
I know this seems strange to explain. It sounds weird to me as I read it back to myself. However, we you see this type of loving acceptance operating in your life and within your community, it becomes crystal clear. It has been the most beautiful experience of my life.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They are, in that sense, "mother sins" if one wants to think of it that way. They are not a unique category of sin, greater or worse than any other, but are rather categorically used as a means of recognizing other sin.

Indeed. Specific sinful actions, like murder, can have their roots in any of the "deadly sins" -- covetousness (I want your money), lust (I want your wife), envy (I hate you for having what I can't get), anger (I hate you for what you did to me), etc.

Upvote 0