Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
CHR15T05 said:
Give the whole of the UK a hug for me man. I miss it :(

:hug:

Nothing special going on :) Normal government conspiracy's (Hutton Report), Bad Weather (We Had Snow!! \o/) and a whole lot of nothingness - I love this country :clap:

Upvote 0

Ryder

Whatever was the deplorable word
Jan 13, 2003
Michigan
✟23,089.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Kelly said:
To quote Ned Flanders " Sounds like someone's strainin' to do some explainin' "

No, seriously, just kidding. I would agree that LAN parties and team sound type activities would definitely have opportunities for more of the good that can come from gaming.
LOL, nice quote Kelly. I think the LAN party can be as good a witnessing tool as any, though I'll admit, I think the games played need to have at least reasonably decent content or the message could backfire.
Good topic Entropy! :)

Upvote 0

Grolin

Jan 10, 2004
Austin, TX
✟384.00
Faith
Christian
Yeah, I think it's easy to get hung up on the idea that witnessing = preaching the Gospel. That is just one step of the way.

Building relationships is important, and common interests are often the only things that draw people together.
Yes, it needs to go deeper eventually. But we have to start somewhere. Getting too hung up on the destination doesn't help if we never take the first step of the journey.

Upvote 0

Entropy

Jan 24, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
✟170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
I've been thinking about this topic some since I first posted the question ... there's some interesting responses here, and my thanks to all participating in this thread ...

A couple thoughts ... Gaming has been almost instrumental in my relationship with one particular friend, and my corresponding ability to be an effective light to him. At one point we did a lot together, having the same classes, workplace, study groups, with a good dose of gaming sessions. Then comes graduation, so all that changed, except for the gaming. I wasn't what you could call socially adept, so it took me a while to find other arenas to spend time with him ... until that happened, gaming was the kept us in touch. Many of the games were actually single player games that would provide topics for conversations ... our equivalent of talking about the weather, I s'pose.

Now there's more to our friendship, but without gaming, I'd see him very rarely, having dropped out of contact.

One a non-evangelistic note, there have been a few games that I've played that have led to conversations with God about life, love, ethics, death, evangelism, and other things. Ultima 6 & 7 come to mind, and Planescape: Torment (older games, I know). While these games aren't Christian, they addressed issues that made me want to know what God thought about them. Knowing God more is an aspect of serving Christ.
Disclaimer: While the Flanders quote doesn't apply 100% here, I do have a tendency to rationalize things, so I can't claim it doesn't apply at all.

Upvote 0