• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Seroquel is making me FAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I take 300MG of Seroquel and as has been advertised, I feel the need to eat all of the time! I regurlarly eat myself to sleep.

This stinks and I am going to address it with my doctor today, 10/20/06. Rather scared for any alternative.

Stephen
I take Abilify with the same results massive weight gain. Do all anti-psychotics make us fat?

Upvote 0

Alive again

A daughter of the King of Kings!
Feb 21, 2005
Pacific Northwest, USA
✟23,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I take 300MG of Seroquel and as has been advertised, I feel the need to eat all of the time! I regurlarly eat myself to sleep.

This stinks and I am going to address it with my doctor today, 10/20/06. Rather scared for any alternative.

Stephen

Praying for you! I know my eating and I am not on any meds that have those horrible weight gain side effects, becomes almost obsessive at times. To the point I asked my doc if this was a symptom of bp. I can cram more food in my body in half an hour or so than I should eat all day and I wasn't even hungry in the first place!!! I am praying that your doc will have some ideas for you, and that we all will begin to realize that GOD LOVES US!!!! no matter what we weigh!!!!!:hug:

Blesssings and prayers!

Upvote 0

COVINABP

Aug 14, 2006
Covina CA
✟7,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am Glad you made this thread, I am on Depakote, 2k mil a day, and wellbutrin, 300mil a day. I was told with the first one to expect a 30% increase in my weight! I was in such shock, I didn't know what to say, I will see my pdoc on the 30th, and ask for tips, my therapist said that appatight suppresents aren't good, cause they are a stimulant (high again, not wanted). Like Alive again, I can eat all day, non stop, and this really bugs me, I had just lost (dieted for 6-8 months) 63 lbs! It even hurts me to pull away from food, it is as if I have ubsesive compulsive disorder with food!

Reactions: PrairieGurl
Upvote 0

spdnet75

Veteran
Apr 21, 2006
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
✟18,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I saw my doc yesterday. (I really don't like this man.) He told me to take a brisk, 30 minute walk everyday and that there is little that he can do to help me.

165Lbs. , is my "Happy" weight. I am currently 175Lbs. I don't like the way I look or feel and I have BAD heartburn. This is all not fun for me.

My Father, who is also Bipolar, takes Depakote. He eats like a freak. Isn't there something better for all of us?

I'm really sad right now.

Stephen

Upvote 0

angelkiss

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
✟41,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The meds depend on the person, but I know that the last doc I had put me on Abilify and I dropped weight like a hot potater! Already being underweight, it made me so depressed that I cried each time I looked in the mirror. He said that he normally didn't want to put people on weight gainers, but in my case I needed it. That purty well told me that I needed to be on the opposite side of the desk!:scratch: You guessed it! I found a different therapist!

Upvote 0

PrairieGurl

Contributor
Jun 21, 2006
✟26,429.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I saw my doc yesterday. (I really don't like this man.) He told me to take a brisk, 30 minute walk everyday and that there is little that he can do to help me.

165Lbs. , is my "Happy" weight. I am currently 175Lbs. I don't like the way I look or feel and I have BAD heartburn. This is all not fun for me.

My Father, who is also Bipolar, takes Depakote. He eats like a freak. Isn't there something better for all of us?

I'm really sad right now.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I'm sad for you that on top of everything else you are going thru...this weight gain thing has to be added :sigh:

I know when I was on Seroquel the desire to eat was overwhelming...especially in the evening :eek: Seroquel also didn't agree with my body chemistry...or visversa.

Since I've been off them...eating has become 'regular' and of course no weight gain...

I'm not sure why the pdoc put you on Seroquel...and I do believe most antisychotics (okay that spelling is so wrong :doh: ) do cause most to gain weight.
I think I'm on the med some pdoc's call the 'California Pill'
"it makes you skinny and stupid" (NO offense to those from this beautiful place)...this could be some of my probs :confused:

I am going to ask my doc about this tho Stephen and get back to you .

With :hug: s & :prayer: s,
Wendy

Reactions: angelkiss
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wayfaringstranger

Diddy Wa Diddy
Nov 8, 2005
✟18,469.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've been on 100mg of seroquel and 300mg of wellbutrin a day for about 6 months now. I haven't noticed any significate weight gain yet. But it sounds like I have nothing to look forward to. I try to exercise some everyday. I hope that helps.

Upvote 0

paladin_carvin

Apr 30, 2006
Stewartsville, NJ
✟15,647.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Uhg, I was on seroquel for a while. It was horrible. And I'm not talking about the weight gain. But it was used to stabalize my mind, and I guess it did the job, and thankfully they got me off. But I'm on risperdal too, still am, and I've gained over 50 pounds since I've started medication. (it's been over 2 years they've been trying different things, I've been on Risperdal most of that time.) I'm now at 200 or so and none of my clothes fit. It's all in the stomach. I hate it. But I also have a sleeping problem right now- I sleep 12 hours a day, and I think that is effecting it too. I try to get out and walk to get meals, but there isn't sidewalks the whole way, so I'm always nervous on the side of the road.

Upvote 0

spdnet75

Veteran
Apr 21, 2006
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
✟18,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I had a Pow Wow with the doctor this morning and told him that I'd rather not sleep and be depressed than to be overweight. We're going to drop my dosage in increments to lose the huge appetite and try to keep the sleep benifits that the Seroquel has given me. If that doesn't work, we're going to try some more drastic things when I am on holiday from school. (I voiced my concern about toying with my meds while I am doing so well in school.)

I'll give ya's all another update soon enough. Thanks for the input! It's so nice to have a forum full of people to relate things to. :)

Stephen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mysojourn

Jul 5, 2006
✟15,287.00
Faith
Baptist
I went from 110 lbs to 139 lbs while being on Depakote (ughh) for 2 years and started to lose the weight last summer after stopping the Depakote and starting Lamictal. But then I started Seroquel last August and the weight came back but I lost alot last spring after a couple of mixed episodes because I have zero appetite during an episode.

Then I stopped Seroquel in August and had another manic/depressed episode in September and went down to 114 lbs. I'm back on Seroquel and the weight is creeping up. I'm at 120 lbs.

But when I went down to 114 lbs I ate very little and even went to bed still hungry, most days. I am trying to keep my food intake very little, and drink Slimfast and walk and run everyday if I can.

I know it's sooo hard to keep the weight down on this drug, no matter what we do. It's irritating for other people to tell us to just exercise more and eat less. It's not that simple. It takes more effort to lose weight on this drug I guess.

For me it takes keeping myself a little bit hungry to get my stomach used to less food because when I was so heavy, I could put away so much food, two or three times more than I eat now in a single sitting. Yikes!

I think I should let my new doctor know how I eat because I don't want to be malnourished. After going from 139 lbs to 114 lbs in about a month one person after another at work had asked me if I lost weight. I hardly ate after I stopped Seroquel. Plus I smoked and smoking curbes my appitite.

My friend told me to be careful or my teeth would fall out! Of course now after starting Seroquel again, my weight is creeping up again. I guess this drug makes you so hungry? Is that why?

Spdnet, can you work with another professional to get you into a diet to help you lose weight and still get all the nourishment your body needs?

Upvote 0

mysojourn

Jul 5, 2006
✟15,287.00
Faith
Baptist
Stephen, I just saw your post.

What your doctor suggests might work. When I saw my psychiatrist last week, he suggested we keep my Seroquel as low as possible because it is so sedating to me.

He said that they find that a smaller dose of Seroquel can be just effective as a larger dose for the same person. I say try it out.

Upvote 0

PrairieGurl

Contributor
Jun 21, 2006
✟26,429.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wendy, you have me curious now. May I ask what is the "California Pill" you are on?

That's funny by the way! I'm from CA and I think you are right. haha.

Well...all I know about CA is from TV so you can tell I haven't seen the 'best side' of CA ;)

The "California Pill" is Lamictal. Or so this pdoc says.

As I read these posts in the mental illness sections... it never ceases to amaze me how all people react so differently to meds. It really is mind blowing. What works for one...doesn't even fizz on another. Wow!!??

Wendy

Upvote 0

mysojourn

Jul 5, 2006
✟15,287.00
Faith
Baptist
Thanks, Wendy, for the explanation!

Don't worry no offense taken.... but it's true, after you read my posts above, I am skinny and stupid. Ehh, let's just say, I've lost some weight and am very naive at times, as a nicer way to say it. :thumbsup:

So, this is not my fault because of where I live...:idea: Or actually it's the Lamictal. Now, I understand. I thought it was the Seroquel. I am a little foggy sometimes. It's the Lamictal. That old yucky doctor kept increasing it. I'm keeping it as low as possible.

Upvote 0

willmrcd1

Aug 17, 2006
Brooklyn
Visit site
✟7,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for being so honest about your weight gain. You know I have been on seroquel and depakote for 5 years now and this is the heaviest I have been. I now weigh 227. Ouch~ for a woman this is really depressing. Although my husband tells me I am still beautiful, etc. I don't feel happy at this weight. I do feel hungry all the time and it is terrible. However, these two meds together balance me out and so far I haven't had any episodes, but the weight is getting to me too.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.