Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why is it that, mostly in Southern Baptist circles and similar groups, a sermon is the central point of "worship?" It seems to me that a sermon should definitely be in the service, even a major part of it, but not all of it. My experience at most of these types church's is as follows: a few songs/hymns sung at the beginning followed by the sermon and maybe a follow-up song to end the service.

Why is a sermon considered worship? Don't mean to sound rude here I just have a hard time understanding this...

I know that when I am trying to take notes and soak in the sermon, my mind goes off of God and onto focusing.

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The Word is a big part of our services because of Sola Scriptura and the fact that Jesus Christ is the living Word. As a Lutheran however we have several parts to our service. Besides singing and sermon we have liturgy and sacrament. The preaching of the word is however central to our faith.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Why is it that, mostly in Southern Baptist circles and similar groups, a sermon is the central point of "worship?" It seems to me that a sermon should definitely be in the service, even a major part of it, but not all of it. My experience at most of these types church's is as follows: a few songs/hymns sung at the beginning followed by the sermon and maybe a follow-up song to end the service.

Why is a sermon considered worship? Don't mean to sound rude here I just have a hard time understanding this...

I know that when I am trying to take notes and soak in the sermon, my mind goes off of God and onto focusing.
That naturally happens with denominations that don't teach and practice the real presence of the Lord in the Eucharist and the efficacious power of the sacraments. They then tend to focus all of their service on preaching and worship.

Reactions: graceandpeace
Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Word is a big part of our services because of Sola Scriptura and the fact that Jesus Christ is the living Word. As a Lutheran however we have several parts to our service. Besides singing and sermon we have liturgy and sacrament. The preaching of the word is however central to our faith.

Yeah, I am thinking more about Southern Baptists for example. It seems the only thing they do besides sing in their services is listen to an hour long sermon, and then leave. Doesn't really seem like worship to me...

Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That naturally happens with denominations that don't teach and practice the real presence of the Lord in the Eucharist and the efficacious power of the sacraments. They then tend to focus all of their service on preaching and worship.

Yeah, it only seems to happen in the church's that dismiss the Eucharist. It seems to me however, that preaching should be part of the worship service, but not all of it because a sermon is not really worship...

I have a hard time understanding where the worship comes in if it is only a sermon and a couple of songs...

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

With me, I've always found a deeper understanding of the Word to be glorifying of God in the sense that it always leaves me wanting more of the same. It makes me want to know more about what I've just heard or read, how it ties in to other Scripture and how I can apply it to my own and others' lives for the better.

An example of this could be, say, a sermon on the Parable of the Sower. It's one of my favourites because it can be applicable to both the Christian and the non-Christian and in using that knowledge to either bolster someone's faith, bring someone to faith, or plant a seed, to me, is glorifying of God in spreading His Word.

I rarely feel closer, more appreciative and more compelled to glorify and worship God than when I am listening to a good sermon.

That coupled with simply coming together as Christians, to me, is definitely worship even if it isn't as 'outward' as some other denominational demonstrations of worship.

Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
With me, I've always found a deeper understanding of the Word to be glorifying of God in the sense that it always leaves me wanting more of the same. It makes me want to know more about what I've just heard or read, how it ties in to other Scripture and how I can apply it to my own and others' lives for the better.

An example of this could be, say, a sermon on the Parable of the Sower. It's one of my favourites because it can be applicable to both the Christian and the non-Christian and in using that knowledge to either bolster someone's faith, bring someone to faith, or plant a seed, to me, is glorifying of God in spreading His Word.

I rarely feel closer, more appreciative and more compelled to glorify and worship God than when I am listening to a good sermon.

That coupled with simply coming together as Christians, to me, is definitely worship even if it isn't as 'outward' as some other denominational demonstrations of worship.

True, but shouldn't there be more to the Sunday worship experience? We can grow in our understanding of the Word during the week when we aren't there, but shouldn't it be more than just "a community gathering?" There seems to be almost no respect at some church's on Sunday morning, they allow food and coffee into the worship area, which to me defeats the whole point because then we have made it about us.

Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Its pretty evident visually as soon as you walk in the sanctuary. The pulpit will be the center of attention instead of the alter.

That is true. I guess it boils down to their theology with that though... Their theology sees no need for an altar, as the Lord's Supper is only a symbolic remembering of Calvary. Baptism is also only symbolic for them. I am trying to figure out where the worship starts when there is only a sermon in the service...

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That is true. I guess it boils down to their theology with that though... Their theology sees no need for an altar, as the Lord's Supper is only a symbolic remembering of Calvary. Baptism is also only symbolic for them. I am trying to figure out where the worship starts when there is only a sermon in the service...
Typically their worship is in song and praise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm Lutheran and have a high regard for a liturgical service. What's your church affiliation?

I am currently not affiliated. I was Catholic for a bit, but I disagree with a few things with them. I also used to be Non-Denominational/Southern Baptist and currently attend that church (which is what made me ask this question). I am also currently doing Catechesis at an LCMS church, however I don't plan on being confirmed right now. I can't seem to find where I fit. I tend to lean more Southern Baptist with certain theological issues, such as Communion being symbolic. However, I disagree with them on Baptism, I don't understand why they stress the mode of baptism and make people who weren't immersed get re-baptized if it is only an outward sign of an inward decision to follow Christ, why would the mode matter if it has no power.

I consider myself religiously confused lol.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I am currently not affiliated. I was Catholic for a bit, but I disagree with a few things with them. I also used to be Non-Denominational/Southern Baptist and currently attend that church (which is what made me ask this question). I am also currently doing Catechesis at an LCMS church, however I don't plan on being confirmed right now. I can't seem to find where I fit. I tend to lean more Southern Baptist with certain theological issues, such as Communion being symbolic. However, I disagree with them on Baptism, I don't understand why they stress the mode of baptism and make people who weren't immersed get re-baptized if it is only an outward sign of an inward decision to follow Christ, why would the mode matter if it has no power.

I consider myself religiously confused lol.
I used to go to Baptist, Calvary chapel and non-denom type churches and then got interested in learning about Orthodoxy. They 'really' introduced me to early church practices and how rich Christian history is. I'm too evangelical for them so Lutheranism was a great fit for me.

Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I used to go to Baptist, Calvary chapel and non-denom type churches and then got interested in learning about Orthodoxy. They 'really' introduced me to early church practices and how rich Christian history is. I'm too evangelical for them so Lutheranism was a great fit for me.

True that, church history is what has me confused. I have my own theology but I can't ignore the church fathers and what people believed for 1600 years before the Baptists came about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What I find lacking in both most Protestant and most liturgical churches is the absence of engagement by the laity. To be sure, there is a level of engagement by the laity, but in most cases it comes down to a spectator experience. One can listen to a lengthy sermon and be entertained by the worship team in a contemporary church or one can watch all the fancy-dancy liturgy be performed at the altar by a priest, but in both cases one is rare engaged. For the Counter Reformation, the Catholic Church supplied impressive church buildings which do tend to help distract the laymen from what is otherwise a standard liturgy which varies little from week to week.

I am happy in my Plymouth Brethren chapel which, IMO, has the best of both worlds - a wholly eucharistic service followed, after a break, but a wholly exegetical service of teaching of the Word. I don't know why it must be an either-or situation for so many churches.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I am not a member of these groups, so I cannot answer why, but this is typical for churches that either don't believe in the Real Presecence or otherwise don't consider the Eucharist to be very important.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I am not a member of these groups, so I cannot answer why, but this is typical for churches that either don't believe in the Real Presecence or otherwise don't consider the Eucharist to be very important.

Although these are significant considerations, there are multiple other factors at work. Be assured that this situation did not appear suddenly when somebody said, "Hey! Wouldn't it be a great idea if we stopped believing in the Real Presence?"

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

That emphasis owes to the early Reformation's attempt to counter the near non-existence of the sermon in Roman Catholic Masses of that era. What you are referring to in Southern Baptist and similar churches is simply an overreaction.

Upvote 0