Self-pleasure as a sin

enelya_taralom

Catch the wave.....
Aug 2, 2004
✟10,398.00
Faith
Christian
Karikta said:
this may sound completely dumb or whatever but i was thinking that maybe for men going without sex can be harmful. when you think about it people are supposed to start having sex when they are much younger but nowadays it is not acceptabel cuz people get married at much older ages. in this since maybe guys are naturally supposed to have sex and not doing it may lead to cancer. but that's just some thought i had and like someone else said it really doesn't matter why you do it. its either a right or its wrong.

i'm still just a little confused if whether or not becoming aroused is a sin. i don't understand how it can be in some situations but not others. can someone show me where they read it in the bible that its a sin.

No men don't "have to have sex". I also don't think that not having sex can be harmful for men. In fact, for some, having sex could itself be harmful, leading to addictions, lust etc. Jesus himself was a man that lived thirty-three years without sex and is a perfect example of how people are more than animals that have to give into our passions, and/or "satisfy an itch that 'needs' to be scratched." The ONLY thing any of us needs is God, and fortunately He works through us and gives us the strength and graces to live life as He called us to. Though, we more often that not, allow our pride and will to get in the way...

Either way scripture speaks very highly of celibacy...

Matthew 19: 12

"For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way because of men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it."

and all of 1 Corinthians 7

As far as arousal being a sin... it's not in and of itself. It's never a sin to be tempted (Jesus himself was tempted), but it's what you do with that temptation that may or may not be sinful. If you're aroused by a member of the opposite sex and then entertain that arousal leading to lustful thoughts, actions etc then, yes, that is a sin. But if you get control of your arousal and don't allow it to lead you into lustful behaviour, thoughts etc then, you haven't sinned.

Upvote 0

Karikta

Feb 28, 2006
B-Ham
✟293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
well i'm uneducated about jesus so yall prolly shouldn't listen to me. i do like what u say about all we need is god. but like someone said in one of my other threads, we have to incorporate god into our daily activities. if you touch then do it for god instead of for yourself since masturbation itself is not a sin.

Upvote 0
Karikta said:
well i'm uneducated about jesus so yall prolly shouldn't listen to me. i do like what u say about all we need is god. but like someone said in one of my other threads, we have to incorporate god into our daily activities. if you touch then do it for god instead of for yourself since masturbation itself is not a sin.
The crusaders "fought for God", that doesn't make them right in slaughtering hundreds of people.

In most cases it tends to be the reason more then the action which matters, hence saying something is right because "you are doing it for God", is dangerous.

Upvote 0
osmaker said:
Which is an interesting thing, but it really doesn't matter either way you wish to argue the morality of masturbation...
Actually if you believe preventing cancer is more important then stopping masturbation then it is very important.
Not to mention that scriptually, it seems very seldom if at all that a sin may increase life expectancy.

Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
To those who think they know that you have to lust to touch:

Do you have some Scripture to support your claim? I've frequently masturbated with no "lustful" thoughts. I think for you to assume that you know the thoughts of everyone when they're "pleasing" themselves is a bit arrogant and rude. Remember that we're not to judge each other, for none of us are HIM!

For His glory!
Tink

Reactions: kopilo
Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
To the OP:

I suggest you take this to your Lord and Savior and stop worrying about what the world (including everyone who shares their opinion, but have no Scripture to back it up!) has to say about it. Either God speaks to you, or He doesn't. Listen for His voice and worry about His convictions. The convictions of the world and of other believers are not your own!

Pray, and then when you think you're done...pray some more.

For His glory!
Tink

Upvote 0
TinkHeartsJesus said:
To those who think they know that you have to lust to touch:

Do you have some Scripture to support your claim? I've frequently masturbated with no "lustful" thoughts. I think for you to assume that you know the thoughts of everyone when they're "pleasing" themselves is a bit arrogant and rude. Remember that we're not to judge each other, for none of us are HIM!

For His glory!
Tink
Yay someone else who understands! :D

Reactions: Tink
Upvote 0

spr

Jul 16, 2004
✟8,538.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Galatians 5 dose seem to fit in here to me too maycontainnuts :)

Some parts of it that stand out to me are

7You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? 8That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you.

9"A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough.

10I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion will pay the penalty, whoever he may be.

This verse reminds me of Mat18:6

Mat 18:6 but whoever causes one of these little
ones who believe in Me to stumble,it would
be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung
around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of
the sea.

Upvote 0
R

rfprewitt

I have such a hard time with masturbation...I don't know whether its biblically covered or not but I do know that its the only way sex is safe for me. That way I know I'm not going to get hurt and nobody else is involved so I don't have to be scared. However I also know that every time I do it, I feel bad afterwards. Then I mull over it for days and it's a vicious cycle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WHATaLIFE

Mar 13, 2006
Toronto, Canada
✟15,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are alot of good points, that alot of you have said, but i agree with Saucy...lust is a sin, and 90% of the time when you do touch it revolves around lustful thoughts. And yes, it does help relieve sexual tension. But to sit back and justify your sin, will only allow you to abuse yourself more often. my best advice, and i am still "an infant" in my belief...but repent it like anyother sin and ask for God's forgiveness when you fall short. As for females, i believe the same thing.

Upvote 0
God Child said:
if even thinking about sex out of context is sin, then acting on it in any way is sin...
Masturbation is not sex, at the most it is foreplay and as previously stated you do not have to think about sex to touch.
Merriam - Webster Online Dictionary said:
Main Entry: 1lust
Pronunciation: 'l&st
Function: noun
1 obsolete a : [SIZE=-1]PLEASURE[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]DELIGHT[/SIZE] b : personal inclination : [SIZE=-1]WISH[/SIZE]
2 : usually intense or unbridled sexual desire : [SIZE=-1]LASCIVIOUSNESS[/SIZE]
3 a : an intense longing : [SIZE=-1]CRAVING[/SIZE] b : [SIZE=-1]ENTHUSIASM[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]EAGERNESS[/SIZE]

Main Entry: un·bri·dle
Pronunciation: "&n-'brI-d&l
Function: transitive verb
: to free or loose from a bridle; broadly : to set loose : free from restraint
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
Main Entry: lewd
Pronunciation: 'lüd
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English lewed vulgar, from Old English l[AE]wede laical, ignorant
1 obsolete : [SIZE=-1]EVIL[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]WICKED[/SIZE]
2 a : sexually unchaste or licentious b : [SIZE=-1]OBSCENE[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]VULGAR[/SIZE]
- lewd·ly adverb
- lewd·ness noun
If you take the meaning of lust to mean sensual, pleasure or delight, then you better not enjoy anything then because that enjoyment might be a sin. However if you take it as sexually obscene or vulgar, then there is a much different meaning, espeically considering the word "unbridled".

Upvote 0
rfprewitt said:
I have such a hard time with masturbation...I don't know whether its biblically covered or not but I do know that its the only way sex is safe for me. That way I know I'm not going to get hurt and nobody else is involved so I don't have to be scared. However I also know that every time I do it, I feel bad afterwards. Then I mull over it for days and it's a vicious cycle.
I hope you take no offence to this, but before I looked at your gender icon, I would have swan you were male by the things you wrote. Just so you know you aren't alone in that viciouse cycle, well I use to be apart of it as well...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

enelya_taralom

Catch the wave.....
Aug 2, 2004
✟10,398.00
Faith
Christian
Theology of the Body: www.christopherwest.com

"...Far from being a footnote in the Christian life, the way we understand the body and the sexual relationship “concerns the entire Bible” (Jan 13, 82). It plunges us into “the perspective of the whole Gospel, of the whole teaching, in fact, of the whole mission of Christ” (Dec 3, 80). Christ’s mission, according to the spousal analogy of the Scriptures, is to “marry” us. He invites us to live with him in an eternal life-giving union of love.

This is what the union of the sexes is meant to proclaim and foreshadow – the eternal union of Christ and the Church. As St. Paul says, quoting from Genesis, “‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ This is a great mystery, and I mean in reference to Christ and the church” (Eph 5:31-32).

By helping us understand this profound interconnection between sex and the Christian mystery, John Paul’s theology of the body not only paves the way for lasting renewal of marriage and the family; it enables everyone to rediscover “the meaning of the whole of existence, the meaning of life” (Oct 29, 80)."

WHAT IS THE THEOLOGY OF THE BODY & WHY IS IT CHANGING SO MANY LIVES?

“It is an illusion to think we can build a true culture of human life if we do not . . . accept and experience sexuality and love and the whole of life according to their true meaning and their close inter-connection.”

John Paul II, The Gospel of Life (n. 97).​

for more: http://www.christopherwest.com/article13.asp

Upvote 0

envision

Mar 9, 2004
DC Metro Area
✟171.00
Faith
Protestant
hhm just a quick response in the old testament if a man had a wet dream he was sent out of teh camp until he was made clean again. If the involuntary act of [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] was considered unclean than how much more so would the voluntary act be?

Upvote 0
I

InTheFlame

envision said:
hhm just a quick response in the old testament if a man had a wet dream he was sent out of teh camp until he was made clean again. If the involuntary act of [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] was considered unclean than how much more so would the voluntary act be?
Hmmmm... but the same 'unclean' rule applied to having sex with one's wife.
" 'When a man has an emission of sperm, he must bathe his whole body with water, and he will be unclean till evening. Any clothing or leather that has sperm on it must be washed with water, and it will be unclean till evening. When a man lies with a woman and there is an emission of sperm, both must bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening.
Leviticus 15:16-18
What's more, you must be very careful assuming that 'renders you unclean' = 'wrong' ... as the following verses talk about a woman having her period (involuntary AND a sign of a healthy reproductive system) being unclean for 7 days.

Upvote 0
envision said:
completely off the topic, but your name is the exact alias my family uses when we sign up to a service!

Upvote 0