United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Greetings!

Two things have been on my mind lately. One is that Christians often refer to the U.S. as being a primarily Christian nation. The other, that being a Pagan, Christian doctrine says I am doomed to an eternity of suffering, torment, gnashing of teeth, etc.

Sooooo, let's have a little fun with the math involved.

The fact is, because of differences between the various Christian denominations, I am not the only one doomed to the so-called fiery pit, but denominations of Christianity who have strayed (or have been misled) will also be subject to divine retribution. The only thing left to calculate is who is right?

The Vatican has a commanding lead, as 24% to 26% of all Christians call themselves "Catholic." So if they are 'right,' and everyone else is 'wrong,' 74% to 76% of Christians are doomed. Next up are the Baptists which make-up roughly 17%. Now if they are 'right,' we're up to 83% of Christians being potentially hell-bound. Next, the Methodists at around 7%. And it just keeps going down from there.

So, the next time you want to tell me about how the U.S. has a Christian majority, keep in mind that you and I both know; you don't even support the entire doctrine of most Christians in this country.

And finally, the next time any representative of Christianity wants to point to me and declare that I am damned for eternity for not having become Christian, I know for a fact, anywhere from three-quarters to almost all of you will be joining me there. I'll bring the marshmallows.

Just food for thought,
-- Druweid

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And finally, the next time any representative of Christianity wants to point to me and declare that I am damned for eternity for not having become Christian, I know for a fact, anywhere from three-quarters to almost all of you will be joining me there. I'll bring the marshmallows.
I will bring the weiners.

http://users.aristotle.net/~bhuie/lazarus.htm

LUKE 16:24 "Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.'"

Upvote 0

Catholicism

Veteran
May 2, 2005
✟2,027.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Druweid said:
Greetings!

Two things have been on my mind lately. One is that Christians often refer to the U.S. as being a primarily Christian nation. The other, that being a Pagan, Christian doctrine says I am doomed to an eternity of suffering, torment, gnashing of teeth, etc.
Congrats, you successfully proved to me that you do not have an adequete understanding of Chrisitan Doctrine.

LittleLambofJesus said:

LUKE 16:24 "Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.'"
Just to let you know this article in no way convinced me that hell does not exist nor did it alter my belief in hell in any way. I do grant however that the story of Lazarus is a parable.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Catholicism said:
Congrats, you successfully proved to me that you do not have an adequete understanding of Chrisitan Doctrine.

Just to let you know this article in no way convinced me that hell does not exist nor did it alter my belief in hell in any way. I do grant however that the story of Lazarus is a parable.
Then why not study it like one. ;)

Matt 22:12 "So he said to him, 'Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?' And he was speechless. 13 "Then the king said to the servants, 'Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast [him] into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

zeph 1:8 "And it shall be, In the day of the LORD's sacrifice, That I will punish the princes and the king's children, And all such as are clothed with foreign apparel. 9 In the same day I will punish All those who leap over the threshold, Who fill their masters' houses with violence and deceit.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Druweid said:
Greetings!

Sooooo, let's have a little fun with the math involved.

The fact is, because of differences between the various Christian denominations, I am not the only one doomed to the so-called fiery pit, but denominations of Christianity who have strayed (or have been misled) will also be subject to divine retribution. The only thing left to calculate is who is right?

The Vatican has a commanding lead, as 24% to 26% of all Christians call themselves "Catholic." So if they are 'right,' and everyone else is 'wrong,' 74% to 76% of Christians are doomed. Next up are the Baptists which make-up roughly 17%. Now if they are 'right,' we're up to 83% of Christians being potentially hell-bound. Next, the Methodists at around 7%. And it just keeps going down from there.

So, the next time you want to tell me about how the U.S. has a Christian majority, keep in mind that you and I both know; you don't even support the entire doctrine of most Christians in this country.

Just food for thought,
-- Druweid

I don't believe that America is a characteristically Christian nation, but there is a fundamental false assumption in your logic. You've assumed that all churches which deviate from the truth cause their respective members to be condemned. Among Protestants, we generally believe that Christians who deviate from the truth will certainly be saved. With respect to Catholics, most Protestants (including myself) also believe that these Christians are in Christ, and will be saved. Some Protestants believe that Catholics stand condemned.

So before doing the math, it would be prudent to factor in this information.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't believe that any western nation in the Northern Hemisphere is truely a Christian Nation....though Russia, Greece and the Vatican (if you class it as a nation) are exceptions.

What is a Christian nation? Is it a nation where the Christians make up a major part of the people? Because if so, I don't think Britain is, Greece on the other hand is 98% orthodox, and this doesn't include Eastern Rite Roman Catholics and Anglicans.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Druweid, there's something else I neglected to mention in my last post. You seem to be assuming that Christians have the ability to save and to condemn. Here's something to consider:
And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. (St. Matthew 16:18-19)
In modern times, precisely who does this Scripture apply to? Who is the rightful successor of the early church?

ramesses said:
I don't believe that any western nation in the Northern Hemisphere is truely a Christian Nation....though Russia, Greece and the Vatican (if you class it as a nation) are exceptions.

What is a Christian nation? Is it a nation where the Christians make up a major part of the people? Because if so, I don't think Britain is, Greece on the other hand is 98% orthodox, and this doesn't include Eastern Rite Roman Catholics and Anglicans.

It seems to me that in general, Western nations tend to be quite secular, so I too would not call them characteristically Christian. Perhaps in ancient times, certain nations could have been called Christian. Egypt and Ethiopia come to my mind.

But incidentally, Britain does call itself a Christian nation, at least on paper. It has a national church, and even gives public school students a Christian education. Surprisingly, Christian education for public school students is not a remnant from earlier, more religious times. Within the past twenty years (I think sometime after 1990) the Christian education laws were actually strengthened! But then, I suppose that they view Christianity as more of a culture than a religion. Church attendance rates speak for themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
satay said:
Vegetarian pizza anyone? :crossrc:
Extra sausage, pepporoni and bacon for me!. Pile on the sauteed mushrooms and cheese also.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Druweid

{insert witty phrase}
Aug 13, 2005
Massachusetts
✟19,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Catholicism said:
Please be more specific; which Christian Doctrine are you speaking of, and wherein lies the misunderstanding?

Respectfully,
-- Druweid

Upvote 0

Druweid

{insert witty phrase}
Aug 13, 2005
Massachusetts
✟19,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
arunma said:
I don't believe that America is a characteristically Christian nation...
Characteristically? No, but then, I was referring more to sheer numbers. It is frequently stated in religious debates, discussions, etc., that the majority of the U.S. calls themselves Christian. (77% to 83% depending on your source), and I'm simply pointing out what appears to me to be the lack of unity of this "one group."
arunma said:
...but there is a fundamental false assumption in your logic. You've assumed that all churches which deviate from the truth cause their respective members to be condemned.
If I implied that in any way, it was unintentional. When I said "...denominations of Christianity who have strayed..." it was only meant as a general statement exemplifying the view of one Christian denomination toward another, incompatible denomination. For example, the Eastern Orthodox view of Episcopalians.
arunma said:
Among Protestants, we generally believe that Christians who deviate from the truth will certainly be saved. With respect to Catholics, most Protestants (including myself) also believe that these Christians are in Christ, and will be saved. Some Protestants believe that Catholics stand condemned.
Yes, certainly, there are numerous variations across denominations. I could concede that factoring in such cross-denominational acceptance could bring the best-case scenerio from 75% to 50%. However, you and I both know that certain groups entertain no such tolerance, and the worst case scenerio is still well above 95%.
arunma said:
So before doing the math, it would be prudent to factor in this information.
Even if the numbers are somewhat rhetorical, I don't think that really gets to the heart of what I'm expressing.

Respectfully,
-- Druweid

Upvote 0

Druweid

{insert witty phrase}
Aug 13, 2005
Massachusetts
✟19,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
arunma said:
Druweid, there's something else I neglected to mention in my last post. You seem to be assuming that Christians have the ability to save and to condemn.
Yes and no. In the sense of Divine Justice, no christian has the ability to save or condemn. What I AM saying is that there are Christian denominations which presume who is saved and who is condemned.

arunma said:
Here's something to consider:
And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. (St. Matthew 16:18-19)

In modern times, precisely who does this Scripture apply to? Who is the rightful successor of the early church?
I would say this scripture should apply to every Christian who has a suitable amount of faith in the bible. As far as a rightful successor where this scripture is concerned? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that, as I'm not entirely clear on that connection.

I am of the opinion that the "rock" represents what was said in Matt 16:16, "Simon Peter said in reply, 'You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.' " Obviously, I don't base this on Catholic or Protestant views, but rather, it seems most logical in my POV. That having been said, I might suggest the rightful successor to the early church is anyone who holds that belief in their heart of hearts.

Thoughtfully,
-- Druweid

Upvote 0