USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're not bothered by foul language because you're ignorant of its spiritual associations. What we call profanity the bible considers cursing. It brings other influences including:

Blasphemy
Coarse jesting
Gossip
Criticism
Backbiting
Mockery
Belittling
Railing

Are these qualities you wish to nurture within yourself? If you're honest several are common features in comedic skits. Humor is adaptable. As you embrace things of God your interests and humor will change. Get into the habit of considering what you're looking at. Move beyond the obvious and see it with spiritual eyes.

For example, a scene with an unmarried couple in bed isn't romance it's fornication. You will view it as the latter until you see as He does.

~bella

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

So it seems secular comedians when they use foul language like the f word are funnier. They are not saying anything racist or bad about God or Jesus, they are just trying to make the joke funnier and funnier it is like for example Bill Burr.

Br,

"Comedy is the art of telling forbidden truths without getting beat up."

If the unsaved are funnier, it's because they have more experience with the forbidden in general.

People do topics they are better at.

Christians are better at marriage, parenting and so forth comedy. Topics that are real but far less forbidden in the main.

I've had marriage skits by Christian comedians leave my husband and I literally rolling on the floor laughing without a cuss word one used.

You just really have to consider where Christian expertise lies versus where the world's expertise lies and how that's going to reflect in comedy.

I enjoy dry bar comedy, it's not Christian comedy perse, but it is clean(er) comedy that is quite hilarious at times.. they've had some excellent comedians there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Jerry Seinfeld has told the story before of why he stopped swearing early on in his act, and I think it's illustrative of how comedy 'works' outside of people's moral judgment of it. The story goes that early on in his career, he would swear occasionally in a particular joke that got a big laugh. One time, he thought that he'd try that same joke without the swearing, to see if it still had the same impact. The version without swearing did not hit nearly as well with the audience as the one with it had. That's when he realized that it must be a pretty weak joke, since the audience weren't even reacting to its content in the first place, but to the fact that a comedian who otherwise worked fairly clean dropped an "f-bomb" where it was unexpected. He took the joke out of his set once he realized this.

Upvote 0