Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is the problem with this summation. Sole Scriptura does NOT mean to go and interpret scripture for yourself.
But the final decision as to what Scripture says is limited to YOUR exegetical skills (for example, you cannot evaluate an exegetical interpretation beyond what your IQ can comprehend). God is pretty irresponsible if He limits our ability to arrive at all His truths to our own fallible skills. That's what I meant. I was not making the ridiculous statement that exegetes can and should operate in a vacuum uninformed by what other scholars have to say.
On the other hand I did point out on the other thread, however, that exegesis ALWAYS depends on other scholars (on reference works ) to complete it's task and thus DEEMS MEN AUTHORITATIVE which contradicts Sola Scriptura. This is one of MANY reasons that Sola Scriptura is a self-contradictory epistemology. Tell you what, why don't you read my actual position and arguments, on the other thread, starting at page 8?
http://www.christianforums.com/t5562289&page=8

And, please everyone, no more posts about "feelings to the exclusion of Scripture." I don't embrace such a rigid dichotomy, as explained on the other thread.

For example, I stated that if I feel more certain about a particular exegetical conclusion than a voice, exegesis wins (because feeling is paramount). Whereas if I feel more certain about a voice than a given exegetical interpretation, the voice wins (because feelings are paramount). The primacy of feeling is well-illustrated in Abraham's attempt to slaughter his son. Since he felt certain about the voice, it was obligatory. Anyone here think Abraham did the wrong thing? Heb 11:17 says he did the RIGHT thing. Imagine that - feelings rule!

One final example. The ten commandments say, Do not kill. Moses presented these commands to Israel on a tablet of stone. Later, Moses commanded them to slaughter 7 nations to take hold of Canaan. What happened to the biblical command, Do not kill? Three times Hebrews tells us that it was God's voice commanding them to take Canaan and thus to kill (e.g. verse 3:7-8). Anyone here think the author of Hebrews was misguided?

Please, continue your responses on the other thread - AFTER you have read my actual arguments.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The primacy of feeling is well-illustrated in Abraham's attempt to slaughter his son. Since he felt certain about the voice, it was obligatory. Anyone here think Abraham did the wrong thing? Heb 11:17 says he did the RIGHT thing. Imagine that - feelings rule!

Was it feelings or did He hear God's voice?
God's WORD is written AND spoken, right?

Please, continue your responses on the other thread - AFTER you have read my actual arguments.
You've done a good job explaining, but this thread
is about Scripture v feelings (loosly naturally) and the
other thread is about gifts of the Holy Spirit.

BTW, you have a wonderful attitude from what I've
read Jal, patient, kind, meek etc.

blessings,
sunlover

Upvote 0

Chickapee

Dec 18, 2006
U.S
✟17,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[/font][/size][/b]
Was it feelings or did He hear God's voice?
God's WORD is written AND spoken, right?

You've done a good job explaining, but this thread
is about Scripture v feelings (loosly naturally) and the
other thread is about gifts of the Holy Spirit.

BTW, you have a wonderful attitude from what I've
read Jal, patient, kind, meek etc.

blessings,
sunlover

wow , reading this thread,
as much as i could lol

makes me think , of the two places we go by feelings IN THE SCRIPTURES
some are still eating of the tree of knowledge
of good and evil
when you go to do good evil is present
like Paul spoke of in romans 7
and the tree of Life is Knowing to love of Christ within us all and having His peace and Having His patience and having His everything ! NOT having our own anylonger :clap: just what I have been seeing and hearing in the Scriptures , now to act on them would be the DEEDS judged by Him and measured by this knowledge of good and evil , but of this tree of Life is Him doing it all to me by the Holy SPIRIT without measure whicj is the Love of God manifested to us
I believe Knowing His peace & love is the greatest thing to feel there is !!! , desiring His approval very much so in our lives
the thing is when Jesus said make the tree good and fruit Good or make it corrupt a tree is KNOWN by its Fruit and being a tree planted by His righteousness makes all the diffence to me as Night and Day !

Isa 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.
Luk 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. Oh just to thank Him for what HE IS DOING !! and waiting for this awesome Change ! and the know it and feel it and obey this ! believ its true wowza!!!
peace and God bless ..c

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Excuse me for being a latecomer, but if we apprehend Scripture by our feelings, isn't Scripture still the authority?

We aren't suggesting that we will use our feelings to make these decisions and consider how we feel with regard to just ANYthing that is there for the consideration. So long as Scipture is part of the question at all, every other book, theory, etc. is shut out and we are just talking about how to get to Scripture.

Therefore Scripture has to trump Feelings, which could, if we want, be aimed in any of a number of directions.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But the final decision as to what Scripture says is limited to YOUR exegetical skills (for example, you cannot evaluate an exegetical interpretation beyond what your IQ can comprehend). God is pretty irresponsible if He limits our ability to arrive at all His truths to our own fallible skills. That's what I meant. I was not making the ridiculous statement that exegetes can and should operate in a vacuum uninformed by what other scholars have to say.
On the other hand I did point out on the other thread, however, that exegesis ALWAYS depends on other scholars (on reference works ) to complete it's task and thus DEEMS MEN AUTHORITATIVE which contradicts Sola Scriptura. This is one of MANY reasons that Sola Scriptura is a self-contradictory epistemology. Tell you what, why don't you read my actual position and arguments, on the other thread, starting at page 8?
http://www.christianforums.com/t5562289&page=8
JAL, making the scriptures authorative and not man is what Sola Scriptura means. Solo Scriptura makes men exegesis authorative, but it is diferent than Sola Scrptura. Your logic is revealing Solo not Sola.
How can making scripture alone authorative be contraditory? Are we to make men exegesis authorative over scripture or even at par with scripture? Don't we infact then bring your argument concerning our capabilities of understanding scripture to the forefront when scripture is not the authority? Scripture has been given and cannot be added to. Men's exegesis are given and CAN be added to. See the difference?
Do you think God would have breathed and inspired scripture that the average intellect can NOT understand?
BTW- I have followed your link to the other thread but do not see your arguments. Could you point out the post number? thanks.

And, please everyone, no more posts about "feelings to the exclusion of Scripture." I don't embrace such a rigid dichotomy, as explained on the other thread.

For example, I stated that if I feel more certain about a particular exegetical conclusion than a voice, exegesis wins (because feeling is paramount). Whereas if I feel more certain about a voice than a given exegetical interpretation, the voice wins (because feelings are paramount). The primacy of feeling is well-illustrated in Abraham's attempt to slaughter his son. Since he felt certain about the voice, it was obligatory. Anyone here think Abraham did the wrong thing? Heb 11:17 says he did the RIGHT thing. Imagine that - feelings rule!

One final example. The ten commandments say, Do not kill. Moses presented these commands to Israel on a tablet of stone. Later, Moses commanded them to slaughter 7 nations to take hold of Canaan. What happened to the biblical command, Do not kill? Three times Hebrews tells us that it was God's voice commanding them to take Canaan and thus to kill (e.g. verse 3:7-8). Anyone here think the author of Hebrews was misguided?

Sorry, but I cannot accept your arguments concerning murder. Please read Numbers 35. The common denominator of what defines murder is the evil intent to do fatal harm. You cannot use this standard to define God's actions or Abraham's actions. There is no evil in God's heart and there was no evil in Abraham's heart at the time that he attempted to sacrifice his beloved son. Tell me, did God commit murder in the instances where He stroke down evil people? Are you equating feelings with evil intent?

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
JAL, making the scriptures authorative and not man is what Sola Scriptura means. Solo Scriptura makes men exegesis authorative, but it is diferent than Sola Scrptura. Your logic is revealing Solo not Sola.
How can making scripture alone authorative be contraditory? Are we to make men exegesis authorative over scripture or even at par with scripture? Don't we infact then bring your argument concerning our capabilities of understanding scripture to the forefront when scripture is not the authority? Scripture has been given and cannot be added to. Men's exegesis are given and CAN be added to. See the difference?
Do you think God would have breathed and inspired scripture that the average intellect can NOT understand?
BTW- I have followed your link to the other thread but do not see your arguments. Could you point out the post number? thanks.

Sorry, but I cannot accept your arguments concerning murder. Please read Numbers 35. The common denominator of what defines murder is the evil intent to do fatal harm. You cannot use this standard to define God's actions or Abraham's actions. There is no evil in God's heart and there was no evil in Abraham's heart at the time that he attempted to sacrifice his beloved son. Tell me, did God commit murder in the instances where He stroke down evil people? Are you equating feelings with evil intent?

I think I'll respond to you on the other thread.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Scripture wins.
moral relativism is a great danger
pray, get in the Word, put on all your armor and stand guard

That's why I went to great pains to repudiate moral relativism explicitly. See the original thread.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Which one Trumps?

I read this post on another thread, and
thought it would make a rich discussion
topic that might bless us all.
:thumbsup:
Or not.
We'll see lol

And my "thanks" to the actual author of this post!!
Will the real author please rise (Less ya don' wanna)
:D
sunlover

I am not the author of the post but I like to see that people are actually thinking .

Neither the Scriptures nor feelings trump - the Lord trumps both .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,058,902.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which one Trumps

Neither - both. It's impossible to make a definitive statement about it, it depends on the situation. For example, I may not feel on a particular day that God loves me and I am his child. But Scripture says I am, so I try to lay aside my temporary feelings, which may anyway change after a meal and a good night's sleep, and rejoice in the fact taught in Scripture. Similarly, I may not feel that God is there any more, but he is, so the feeling is wrong, and Scripture is correct.

On the other hand, I may feel/inwardly sense that God is calling me to a particular job. Scripture promises that if we wait on the Lord he will direct our paths. It promises that the Spirit will guide us. But it does not say "Gill, you must become a nurse", or instruct me that this career is God's plan for my life but not that one. All I can do in that situation is pray, try to apply Scriptural principles, eg does it bless others, use my God given gifts et, and do what I sense, or feel. The inner witness of the Spirit. Yes, my feelings may be hopelessly wrong and possibly sometimes get in the way of what God is saying, but they can also be good indicators. When considering jobs, I instinctively feel that I do not want one in Science or maths; why, because I wasn''t good at them, they bore me, I can't really get enthused about any aspect of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.