charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
My kids go to public school, and we have had no problems. Of course, we attend church with many of the teachers or know where they attend services, and we know which teachers (many) pray for their classes at the start of each day. So far, scientific theories have been taught as theory, not fact, and things overall have been well balanced. We are making sure our children are well grounded spiritually, which helps keep things balanced. No matter how a teacher may say something happened, my kids know that God is the reason it happened.

Celtie

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mine will be going to public school. Our oldest starts kindergarten in the fall, as well. I'm not particularly concerned since, like Celtic, many of the teachers go to our church or at least other churches in the town. In fact, my daughter's soon to be kindergarten teacher we know quite well from church and I know for a fact that the school and her children are constantly in her prayers, as well as in the prayers of the congregation. Living in a small town is GOOD. ;)

Love, Heather

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
Evening Mist said:
Our oldest goes to a very small secular private school with an "alternative" aproach to learning. We've been overwhelmingly happy with it, an our youngest will go there as well in 2 years.
This is interesting! My daughters also go to a small private "democratic education" school -- that is, with a philosophy largely inspired by A.S. Neal's Summerhill, and by the work of John Holt. "Small" in this case means a total enrollment cap of 80 students between preschool and grade 12. My daughters have never had a class-size of more than eleven children, nor a class with fewer than two grades in it. We're very happy indeed with the environment and philosophy.

Which "alternative" from among the various methods available does your school use?

Upvote 0

Evening Mist

gentle mother
Feb 7, 2003
Delaware
Visit site
✟997.00
Faith
Christian
pmcleanj said:
This is interesting! My daughters also go to a small private "democratic education" school -- that is, with a philosophy largely inspired by A.S. Neal's Summerhill, and by the work of John Holt. "Small" in this case means a total enrollment cap of 80 students between preschool and grade 12. My daughters have never had a class-size of more than eleven children, nor a class with fewer than two grades in it. We're very happy indeed with the environment and philosophy.

Which "alternative" from among the various methods available does your school use?

The school started in the 1970s as a shoot off from the local university education program, though completely independent. The kids range in age from 1st - 8th grade. They are divided into 4 groups, each of which spans aproximately 2 grades, and has about 20 kids in each group with 2 lead teachers and several "helpers." They are not a democratic school, though they borrow from similar ideas. (For instance -- they have a weekly "all school meeting" run exclusively by the students to disscuss whatever ongoing issues that are important to the kids, and come up with solutions as a group.) They also borrow a lot from montessori - esp. for math learning. They use no formal text books, do no testing, and have no desks. There are tables available for writing at, but the kids seem to prefer pillows on the floor for most of their "work." I've honestly never encountered a more consistantly happy and relaxed group of bright little individuals.

Eta that the school is parent cooperative. We all take turns cleaning and maintaining the grounds, library, computers and building. We each serve on a comittee. At any given moment there are a handful of parents and younger siblings helping out with projects and trips. Or just visiting. My 3 yo. and I show up regularly for lunch and recess. The parents also meet monthly to disscuss problems and come up solutions, and we have input on hiring, budgeting and tution decisions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GinooKo

Feb 26, 2004
Colorado
✟9,562.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My children were in public school until they opened a new Catholic School in our area. Then we moved to Colorado, now they are back in public school again. The elementary and middle schools are great but I worry about the school population. There are almost 3,000 students in High School so more likely my kids will be going to a private school again.

Upvote 0

Tini

Live in God's Community
Aug 21, 2002
Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
Visit site
✟28,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We homeschool.

We were ina great christian pre school (across the road from our home!). No hassles - but just felt the Lord called us to homeschool.

Been at it for 2 years and its goign fine. Has it's ups and downs - but it is a calling and full time committment.

Upvote 0