Schiavo to be given new guardian

When I see Terri I see a very strong resembelance of my mother. She was in a very bad car accident afew years back. She was given CPR and revived because she was dead on the scene. She suffered brain damage and everything> She looked just like the pictures that you see even on the liberal news. She was in a coma for almost a year. With rehabilitation she has improve alot. Her brain is going back to normal and she can walk again and she can talk now. It is still very difficult to understand what she says at times. Constantly doctors said that my mom would be like she was at first for ever several times they even said she did not have much time left but God (Jesus had a different plan. Unlike Terri she was on the respirator and there were all kinds of tube and stuff going through her head to relieve pressure etc from her brain. This is where most of the damage was done. With my mom doctors to this day do not understand how a so called brain dead woman is still alive and her brain returnning back to normal. Gee I wonder what could happen to Terri with some rehab?

Upvote 0

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
JEREMY O'ROURKE said:
When I see Terri I see a very strong resembelance of my mother. She was in a very bad car accident afew years back. She was given CPR and revived because she was dead on the scene. She suffered brain damage and everything> She looked just like the pictures that you see even on the liberal news. She was in a coma for almost a year. With rehabilitation she has improve alot. Her brain is going back to normal and she can walk again and she can talk now. It is still very difficult to understand what she says at times. Constantly doctors said that my mom would be like she was at first for ever several times they even said she did not have much time left but God (Jesus had a different plan. Unlike Terri she was on the respirator and there were all kinds of tube and stuff going through her head to relieve pressure etc from her brain. This is where most of the damage was done. With my mom doctors to this day do not understand how a so called brain dead woman is still alive and her brain returnning back to normal. Gee I wonder what could happen to Terri with some rehab?

Jeremy, I'm so very sorry that your Mom had to endure such an experience. On the other hand... such WONDROUS news that she is so recovering! Thank you for sharing!!! And, I am sitting here wondering with you!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
CarrieK said:
The videos challenge your suggestion that there is no sign of consciousness.
All the behaviors engaged in by Ms. Schiavo are sub-conscious in nature. They can be produced by activity in the limbic system, cerebellum, and brain stem. This is an example of how the media can be totally irresponsible - the publication of the videos serves only to inculcate emotional responses in the lay-public.
No therapy -- no true chance!!!
It is purely emotive language like this that routinely ignores that actual facts of the case, not to mention ignores my previous argument about reasonable limitations on potential "treatments."

Upvote 0

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Philosoft said:
All the behaviors engaged in by Ms. Schiavo are sub-conscious in nature. They can be produced by activity in the limbic system, cerebellum, and brain stem. This is an example of how the media can be totally irresponsible - the publication of the videos serves only to inculcate emotional responses in the lay-public.
It is purely emotive language like this that routinely ignores that actual facts of the case, not to mention ignores my previous argument about reasonable limitations on potential "treatments."

Are you saying that you are a doctor?

Upvote 0

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Philosoft said:

I haven't ignored anything. I thought we were still in dialogue.

Upvote 0

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Philosoft said:

Furthermore, I am emotional because I don't agree with you?

I ignore "actual facts"? What facts have I ignored?

Upvote 0

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Philosoft said:

Philosoft,

I must once again ask you if you are a doctor? After all, you made statement of fact here, as for Terri's specific condition, as though you are an authority in the matter. Are you one of Terri's medical team or an attorney related to the case? Are you related to the case in any fashion?

If none of the above... how do you know what you said to be fact?

I'll await your response.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
CarrieK said:
I must once again ask you if you are a doctor?
I am a former psychologist.
After all, you made statement of fact here, as for Terri's specific condition, as though you are an authority in the matter. Are you one of Terri's medical team or an attorney related to the case? Are you related to the case in any fashion?
No. I have, however, observed PVS patients during my internship years ago.
If none of the above... how do you know what you said to be fact?
Honestly, I carry no burden to prove that my musings about Mrs. Schiavo's case are correct, only to show that your concerns are probably unfounded. You seem to think that none of them have been dealt with in 13 years. And you seem to think that mere questions about Mr. Schiavo's motivations are sufficient to revoke his custody. I presented a plausible case that Mrs. Schiavo probably has no cortical activity and that there is no treatment methodology for PVS. Any further indictment of Mr. Schiavo's person is mere baiting.

Upvote 0

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Philosoft said:
I am a former psychologist.
No. I have, however, observed PVS patients during my internship years ago.
Honestly, I carry no burden to prove that my musings about Mrs. Schiavo's case are correct, only to show that your concerns are probably unfounded. You seem to think that none of them have been dealt with in 13 years. And you seem to think that mere questions about Mr. Schiavo's motivations are sufficient to revoke his custody. I presented a plausible case that Mrs. Schiavo probably has no cortical activity and that there is no treatment methodology for PVS. Any further indictment of Mr. Schiavo's person is mere baiting.

"Any further indictment of Mr. Schiavo's person is mere baiting." ?????????????

I may seem many things... as often we all do!!! I have been willing to stand here and speak with you -- have you been so willing to do same with me???

You carry "no burden" to prove your opinion correct, though everyone else does??? I think not!!! Prove me wrong!!! That is all you have to do!!!

I have presented "plausible" thought as well -- apparently not something you wished to take into consideration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philosoft

Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
CarrieK said:
"Any further indictment of Mr. Schiavo's person is mere baiting."
Absolutely. Whether or not you agree with the extent Mr. Schiavo has gone to "rehabilitate" his wife is irrelevant to her vegetative status and his custody.
You carry "no burden" to prove your opinion correct, though everyone else does??? I think not!!! Prove me wrong!!! That is all you have to do!!!
I'm not the one trying to countermand the facts and arguments considered by the courts.
I have presented "plausible" thought as well -- apparently not something you wished to take into consideration.
You keep telling me she hasn't had a "chance." She's had 13 years. There are no treatments. PVS patients either regain consciousness or they don't. She hasn't. What else do you want?

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
CarrieK said:
So many things "irrelevant"... and you call yourself a doctor... even't once so???
I'm not a doctor. I worked for a rehab center for a short while. I do happen to understand the facts of PVS better than many.
Thank goodness that you weren't my doctor!!!
I'll not take part in your rhetorical game, thanks. This case won't be about emotion no matter how hard you try to make it so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Philosoft said:
I'm not a doctor. I worked for a rehab center for a short while. I do happen to understand the facts of PVS better than many.
I'll not take part in your rhetorical game, thanks. This case won't be about emotion no matter how hard you try to make it so.

Then... how dare you make statement of fact per only a doctor could???... even per only his opinion???

My "rhetorical game"???

I'm not the one that made suggestion and ran -- you are!!!

But... ole Michael shall pay the price, if he has wronged his wife!!! Not my duty to decide... and not my effort to make -- God will make that decision!!!

And... here I shall pray for Terrie... do you mind???

Upvote 0

Firscherscherling

Liberal Filthy Hairless Pig-Monkey
Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
Oh brother, folks. How many times can we stretch the truth to create the situation that fits the scenario you want.

First you guys say she has never had a chance at rehab. How about the three years she had after her colapse? What about the implanted brain stimulators I heard about? How many years was he required to try? Ignored to create your scenario.

Then you say he is a rat-bas-tard for wanting to remove the tube, but then (in the grandma scene someone brought up) that it would have been OK if he had never put it in. You say, why did he bother putting it in there if she couln't be helped? You can't have it both ways. You can't criticize him for not trying to save her, and then in the next sentence criticize him for trying to. Clearly, demonizing is the true goal here, not facts.

By the way, Mr. Schiavo will be on Larry King tonight.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
CarrieK said:
Then... how dare you make statement of fact per only a doctor could???... even per only his opinion???
I interned (admittedly for a brief time) with a psychologist who was experimenting with neurotransmitter therapy for PVS patients.
My "rhetorical game"???

I'm not the one that made suggestion and ran -- you are!!!
I'm not the one who's trying to make this a purely emotional issue.
But... ole Michael shall pay the price, if he has wronged his wife!!! Not my duty to decide... and not my effort to make -- God will make that decision!!!
Then what are you so worried about?
And... here I shall pray for Terrie... do you mind???
Your patronizing tone is noted.

Upvote 0

Firscherscherling

Liberal Filthy Hairless Pig-Monkey
Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
So, I see no commentary on the board about the Schiavo interview on Larry King last night. Why not? Seems to me that the husband offered a perfectly reasonable side to the whole situation. I am not saying I know enough to decide. But at least we have both sides now.

Claim 1: Mr. Schiavo is doing it for the money.

Answer: There is no money. Amazing. How did the conspiracy theorists overlook this?

Claim 2: Terri has never received physical therapy.

Answer: Three years of therapy that included brain stimulator implants, speech therapy, etc. etc., regular trips outside the nursing home such as trips to the mall, visits to the beauty parlor and the like, all in an attempt to evoke some kind of a response or sign. Nothing. Nada. No response. Hmm. How was this missed?

Claim 3: Terri’s brain injury isn’t really that bad.

Answer: Brain scan shown clearly illustrating a pool of spinal fluid where a huge part of her brain used to be. Looked pretty danged bad.

Claim 4: Terri is clearly responsive. Just look at the tapes!

Answer: Terri does these things (smiling, opening her eyes, making sounds) all the time. She even does them when no one is in the room. The tapes are really 4-hours long and they try to get her to respond all of that time with no effect. Then when she does open her eyes, that snippet is shown as evidence that she is responding. Stand in front of someone who randomly opens her eyes and say, “open your eyes” for four hours. Then when she opens finally them, claim it was responsive. The courts viewed the tapes and found them unconvincing. Sounds reasonable.

I won’t go on at this point because I know folks are ready to pounce on me, but I repeat what I have said… You folks continue to point the finger and condemn the man though you know nothing of the case. Why not just argue a reasonable right-to-life argument instead of making things up. It just taints the credibility of the reasonable parts.

Upvote 0