• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello everybody,

If you have read my posts lately, I have an update I guess. I have decided to try the counseling center here at my college. I am going to schedule an appointment tomorrow, but I am so scared on what they will think of me. I have tried the counseling center twice last year, and a roommate of mine has recommended I go back to one of the counselors I went to last year. I am so scared what he will think of me and what he will do. I have to tell him everything, but I a scared he will place me in the hospital, or call my parents. Do you think it is a good idea to go to the counseling center and not tell my parents, or what?

servant4ever

childofgrace

Jan 14, 2004
N. Richland Hills, TX
✟172.00
Faith
Christian
What's worse -- staying where you are or taking the risk of getting help? You are showing great courage by facing your situation and seeking help rather than simply letting it continue spiraling out of control.

In September of 2003 I was faced with a similar decision. I had crashed and burned and had to decide whether I would get help or continue on the downward spiral. I made the call and am well into the process of recovery now.

I will pray for you as you seek continue through this struggle!

Kirk

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Talk to the counselors first. They will be experienced with these things; your parents may not.

Don't worry what counselors will think of you. Most counselors are among the most Christ-like people you will ever meet; what they will think is "how can I help?"

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Counselors have dealt with people EXACTLY like you before. They understand why you're scared, and they can help you a lot! The only problem is that you have to be honest with them. And that doesn't just mean telling them everything about how much you want to hurt yourself.

I know you're disabled and you have had stressful things happen to you in your past. You should be prepared to talk about whatever the counselor brings up. If it's really too stressful, you CAN change the subject - just be forceful, but talking about suicide won't make you better. Talking about the events and environment that lead up to your depression can help you! Just don't be surprised if they don't stay on the suicide or cutting topic, because that's not the real problem. Coping with depression is a good skill to have, but tearing down depression is even better!

Upvote 0