Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So I have a question about that and I'm not even sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'll just go ahead since I don't know where else to post. Anyway of course it's bad to say God's name in Vain. It's in the ten commandments and I never say it, but a lot of people do. Even some people that say that they are Christian's still say it which I don't really understand. Unless they're just not true enough Christian's or study the Bible in a different way then I would.

Obviously we know that if you say God's name with the word damn afterwards that would definitely be saying his name in vain, but what if you used dang instead of damn? Is that still really bad or would it be cursing his name in vain? I don't use God's name in either of those ways, but I know some people who do. So are they still committing a really big sin by saying it in that way too? Because, to me it still really doesn't sound nice.

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Saying Jesus's name in vain, is actually far more broad than cursing.

"Oh, Jesus, why don't you help me!?" - Using the Lord's name in vain, but a lot of people would call this prayer. But let's look at the definition of vain:
----------------------------- https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H7723&t=KJV
emptiness, vanity, falsehood
  1. emptiness, nothingness, vanity
  2. emptiness of speech, lying
  3. worthlessness (of conduct)
-----------------

So you see, vain words are empty words... unbelief words vs. faith words. They are also self-centered words. I agree cursing with Christ's name is bad and part of this, but it's far greater than cursing.

People who give religious prayers to be heard by men? They're taking Christ's name in vain. People who have spoken "Christ" without faith (trust in Christ) have spoken vainly.

I have spoken vainly and prayed vainly in this manner, and it's more serious than cursing. It's a serious thing because trusting God is all we have as a Christian, and if we're speaking empty words, there's a problem!!! And if we're doing that when we're not frustrated and throwing out a curse, it's worse... because we actually believe it and are actually deceived instead of angry.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Obviously we know that if you say God's name with the word damn afterwards that would definitely be saying his name in vain, but what if you used dang instead of damn?

Is it? I really don't know, since His name isn't actually "God". That's more of a description of what he is, such as a category or a title, but not a name.

Upvote 0