plindboe

Feb 29, 2004
In my pants
✟10,498.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
To be fair, it's worth pointing out that Bush himself have stated that he wanted ID taught. Yet, it haven't happened in the years he've been in charge.

A republican politician would probably lose less votes by declaring that (s)he eats babies for breakfast every morning than declaring that (s)he accepts evolution. It would be political suicide to take a firm stance against ID.

Having this in mind I think these remarks are actually pretty tolerable->

Asked for her personal views on evolution, Palin said, "I believe we have a creator."

She would not say whether her belief also allowed her to accept the theory of evolution as fact.

"I'm not going to pretend I know how all this came to be," she said.

A typical politician. She's completely avoiding to answer the questions directly, yet she delivers "answers" that the far right loves to hear.

Peter :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Which, of course, was the point. It is good that you got it.

:wave:
I figured, but some people actually believe that quantum mechanics says this. And furthermore it's disturbing how frequently the Copenhagen Interpretation is considered to actually describe reality, instead of merely sweeping the measurement problem under the rug. But I digress.

Upvote 0
To be fair, it's worth pointing out that Bush himself have stated that he wanted ID taught. Yet, it haven't happened in the years he've been in charge.

A republican politician would probably lose less votes by declaring that (s)he eats babies for breakfast every morning than declaring that (s)he accepts evolution. It would be political suicide to take a firm stance against ID.

Having this in mind I think these remarks are actually pretty tolerable->

A typical politician. She's completely avoiding to answer the questions directly, yet she delivers "answers" that the far right loves to hear.
And just as supermarkets employ psychologists to tell them on which shelf to put certain foods,
governments employ people to tell them what certain groups of people want to hear,
the best top people tell everyone what they want to hear without upsetting any of the others,
agree with them, then do nothing, make promises, then make excuses, but above all be sincere,
never tell a lie you can not explain away, always have someone who can carry the can,
and always deny everything, in that way you will be all things to all men,
and if all of that fails, do a George W Bush, and lash out at the nearest baddies and blame them.

If in doubt, drape yourself with the flag. (or salute it and say: 'God bless America')

Margaret Thatcher was about to be replaced when the Argentineans attacked the Falklands,
it saved her career and secured her a place in history.

Upvote 0

TheOutsider

Pope Iason Ouabache the Obscure
Dec 29, 2006
Indiana
✟11,428.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
For reference, here is what McCain has said about evolution:

"Darwin helped explain nature’s laws. He did not speculate, in his published theories at least, on the origin of life. He did not exclude God, for Whom the immensity of time is but a moment, from our presence. The only undeniable challenge the theory of evolution poses to Christian beliefs is its obvious contradiction of the idea that God created the world as it is in less than a week. But our faith is certainly not so weak that it can be shaken to learn that a biblical metaphor is not literal history. Nature doesn’t threaten our faith. On the contrary, when we contemplate its beauty and mysteries we cannot quiet in our heart an insistent impulse of belief that for all its variations and inevitable change, before its creation, in a time before time, God let it be so, and, thus, its many splendors and purposes abide in His purpose.”

Upvote 0

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
For reference, here is what McCain has said about evolution:

"Darwin helped explain nature’s laws. He did not speculate, in his published theories at least, on the origin of life. He did not exclude God, for Whom the immensity of time is but a moment, from our presence. The only undeniable challenge the theory of evolution poses to Christian beliefs is its obvious contradiction of the idea that God created the world as it is in less than a week. But our faith is certainly not so weak that it can be shaken to learn that a biblical metaphor is not literal history. Nature doesn’t threaten our faith. On the contrary, when we contemplate its beauty and mysteries we cannot quiet in our heart an insistent impulse of belief that for all its variations and inevitable change, before its creation, in a time before time, God let it be so, and, thus, its many splendors and purposes abide in His purpose.”
Funny that he seems to think that evolution is okay, but abiogenesis clearly must be a non-natural phenomenon.

Upvote 0

MasterOfKrikkit

Feb 1, 2008
USA
✟16,435.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I know next to nothing about the candidates so I try to not biases towards or against them; but I always thought McCain was just another republican who didn't accept evolution. At least he accepts that the Bible may not be literal.

He's gone up in my eyes.
Ditto. Which goes to show how low the bar's been set. How sad is it when discovering that someone accepts the findings of science means your opinion of them increases? Excuse me while I :cry: a bit.

Upvote 0

RobertByers

Feb 26, 2008
✟15,909.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is cool.
Having a assertive v.p. nominee saying creationism should be allowed in the classroom is another sign of the progress of creationism in America. Censorship is just not a American idea and forbidding God and genesis is absurd based on its common support , and historical precedent in the beliefs of early americans on origins.
This woman governor, i think, shows the future of science in the classroom.
Freedom is always the best strategy for those who want the truth to prevail.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This is cool.
Having a assertive v.p. nominee saying creationism should be allowed in the classroom is another sign of the progress of creationism in America. Censorship is just not a American idea and forbidding God and genesis is absurd based on its common support , and historical precedent in the beliefs of early americans on origins.
This woman governor, i think, shows the future of science in the classroom.
Freedom is always the best strategy for those who want the truth to prevail.

Your right RB... and to paraprase the words of a famous "embedded age" creationist we all know, "The Constitution of the United States of America Can Take A Hike!" :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
And I once again thank all the gods, including the paper god of the pseudochristian idolators, that I do not live in the US of A
Sadly, if the US continues on this path towards ignorance and economic destruction with McCain/Palin, the fall of the US is likely to damage the entire world. We still have the biggest nuclear arsenal on the planet after all. That, combined with the very real possibility of religious extremism should scare the hell out of everybody.

Reactions: Vene
Upvote 0
Sadly, if the US continues on this path towards ignorance and economic destruction with McCain/Palin, the fall of the US is likely to damage the entire world. We still have the biggest nuclear arsenal on the planet after all. That, combined with the very real possibility of religious extremism should scare the hell out of everybody.

And that's a fact.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I suppose that's possible, but since either nation has enough to destroy all of civilization many times over, it's rather a mute point.

Especially if the US will insist on starting Cold War 2 on our doorstep....:doh:

Upvote 0

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Especially if the US will insist on starting Cold War 2 on our doorstep....:doh:
Well, technically, Russia (or China) could insist the same thing. However, this is one of the reasons why I am strongly strongly in favor of Obama over McCain.

Upvote 0