It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Sarah Lee Circle Bear Died While in Police Custody; Family Seeks Justice

The death of Sandra Bland, an African American woman who died in a jail cell on July 13 , has the nation abuzz about the ongoing saga of police brutality against people of color, and this time, it is becoming even more apparent just how poorly women of color are treated.

But a lesser known story regarding a beautiful young Lakota woman is just as worthy of our attention. On July 6, 24-year-old Sarah Lee Circle Bear of Clairmont, South Dakota, was found unconscious in a holding cell in Brown County Jail in Aberdeen.
[...]
When any person is taken into custody and under the care of law enforcement, it is their right to receive appropriate medical attention and just treatment.
[...] It is time to demand better treatment of Native women, and justice for Sarah.
"Knock it off" and "Quit faking"? Really?

Reactions: Red Fox

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

"Knock it off" and "Quit faking"? Really?​
I can kinda understand it. Based on stories that my mom used to tell of her time working as an RN in the ER, every night the police would bring in a person who was in a jail cell but was "ill". As soon as the prisoner was in a bed, they'd perk right up and nothing would be found wrong with them. Essentially, they'd much rather get a comfy bed in a hospital ER for a few hours rather than staying in a jail cell. Granted, it's anecdotal, but it seems like this was a very common experience the police had to deal with and waste their time with.

So I can understand why police would get jaded and not believe an inmate is actually ill. Not saying it's RIGHT, just that I can understand.

Reactions: abysmul
Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
This is the second death of a Native American in police custody within the last couple of weeks.

Native American Activist Found Dead In Jail Cell After Traffic Fine Arrest

And there are also these reports...

Native Lives Matter - A Report by the Lakota Law Project

Native Lives Matter: Police Killing Native Americans At Astounding Rate

So, where is the nationwide news coverage or the public outrage of Native Americans dying at the hands of police officers?
The public outrage isn't there because the news coverage isn't there. It's a serious problem though in general. I didn't realize it was this bad an issue with Native Americans (Is that the preferred term?), but I remember reading a story a few months ago about Latino deaths at the hands of LEOs was under reported as well.

ETA: I remember talking about something similar with my pastor years ago. She said in her first call she was involved in a local anti-racism group. But whenever she mentioned the lack of attention to racism against Native Americans, she was right away shut down. Anti-racism work seems to be aimed mostly at racism against Black Americans, which while important is only part of the issue.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The public outrage isn't there because the news coverage isn't there. It's a serious problem though in general. I didn't realize it was this bad an issue with Native Americans (Is that the preferred term?), but I remember reading a story a few months ago about Latino deaths at the hands of LEOs was under reported as well.

There is still a very deep underlining disregard, disrespect and prejudice against Native Americans in this country.

ETA: I remember talking about something similar with my pastor years ago. She said in her first call she was involved in a local anti-racism group. But whenever she mentioned the lack of attention to racism against Native Americans, she was right away shut down. Anti-racism work seems to be aimed mostly at racism against Black Americans, which while important is only part of the issue.

Now that doesn't surprise me one bit.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I can kinda understand it. Based on stories that my mom used to tell of her time working as an RN in the ER, every night the police would bring in a person who was in a jail cell but was "ill". As soon as the prisoner was in a bed, they'd perk right up and nothing would be found wrong with them. Essentially, they'd much rather get a comfy bed in a hospital ER for a few hours rather than staying in a jail cell. Granted, it's anecdotal, but it seems like this was a very common experience the police had to deal with and waste their time with.

So I can understand why police would get jaded and not believe an inmate is actually ill. Not saying it's RIGHT, just that I can understand.

It's known as "incarceritis"...

One of the quickest cures is to announce that an ambulance will be called...and billed to the prisoner.

Edit-after reading the article, it's rather obvious that the prison guards are negligent here. The only reason that they can have to deny her any medical attention is if she refused it when asked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
It's known as "incarceritis"...

One of the quickest cures is to announce that an ambulance will be called...and billed to the prisoner.

Edit-after reading the article, it's rather obvious that the prison guards are negligent here. The only reason that they can have to deny her any medical attention is if she refused it when asked.
Thank you for the edit. I was going to call you out on your assumption of incarceritis.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Tragically sooooooo wrong. This is outrageous. The question is, why was she in pain at all, and what caused her to be unconscious and unresponsive?

I haven't heard anything new on this case yet.

I have been keeping my eye on the NDN news and more frequently watching the online NDN groups for anything new on this case.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I haven't heard anything new on this case yet.

I have been keeping my eye on the NDN news and more frequently watching the online NDN groups for anything new on this case.

Thank you. This is heartbreaking and the more details come out about what transpired the more disturbing it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Thank you. This is heartbreaking and the more details come out about what transpired the more disturbing it is.

If I find out anything new, I will post it here, if it hasn't been posted already by someone else.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
6_zpsndrb64nm.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Cameras are bringing to light 2 dark problems with our police force. The first is the amount of abuse and brutality, that everyone experiences. The second is how much minorities are targeted.

Horrifying.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Excerpted from the article Police are Killing Native Americans at Higher Rate than Any Race, and Nobody is Talking About It

Americans are up in arms right now over the near epidemic number of deaths of African-American at the hands of police, and rightfully so. African-Americans make up only 13 percent of the population, yet they are the victims in 26 percent of all police shootings. That is nearly 3 times the rate of whites.

The outrage by the #Black Lives Matter movement is founded in statistical evidence which shows that the system inherently and with extreme bias disproportionately targets blacks. That being said, there is one group who no one is talking about that is targeted more than everyone else. The racial group most likely to be killed by law enforcement is Native Americans. While Native Americans only make up 0.8 percent of the population, they make up 1.9 percent of all police killings.

According to a report by the Lakota People’s Law Project,

Despite gaining citizenship rights in 1924, Native Americans have yet to see the day that they enjoy benefits of a nation which boasts “liberty and justice for all.”

Unsettling reports of unfair treatment towards Native peoples by law enforcement are not isolated incidents—rather they are endemic of a deeply discriminatory justice system. Native American men are admitted to prison at four times the rate of white men and Native women at six-fold the rate of white women. Additionally, Native Americans are the racial group most likely to be killed by law enforcement.

Upvote 0