Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Hi,

My local newspaper recently ran a poll where they asked 'Should Santa Claus yell 'Ha! Ha! Ha!' instead of 'Ho Ho Ho' to passer bys. Every single voter who was interviewed about it said stick with 'Ho Ho Ho'.

One said that kids are too young to know the alternate meaning of the word.

Like, I wonder what the hell is the matter with some people? This is political correctness gone wrong. I've had it with these Christmas nazis trying to change the way we celebrate our tradition.

If they don't like it, they should move to Iraq or Afghanistan where they don't celebrate Christmas at all.

DavinMochrie

Jan 12, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
✟2,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they don't like it, they should move to Iraq or Afghanistan where they don't celebrate Christmas at all.

They do celebrate christmas there, and actually it is the celebration of the birth of Jesus. Jesus is a revered prophet in Islam.

Whereas, here we are discussing santa claus.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
They do celebrate christmas there, and actually it is the celebration of the birth of Jesus. Jesus is a revered prophet in Islam.

Whereas, here we are discussing santa claus.

It's funny isn't it? :p Or is it sad?...:sigh:

I find the amount of time and effort devoted to Santa a little ridiculous, so I don't really care what people say when dressed up as him, or how they say it. :)

Upvote 0

DavinMochrie

Jan 12, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
✟2,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find the amount of time and effort devoted to Santa a little ridiculous, so I don't really care what people say when dressed up as him, or how they say it. :)

Indeed!

And what I don't understand is why Non-Christians who say things like: We like Jesus, just not his followers, well why do they downplay the celebration of his birthday (pagan thing anyway?).

What is wrong with celebrating a guy whose ethics was the foundation of our Western civilisations?

Upvote 0

ScMay

Dec 5, 2004
Melbourne
✟951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Indeed!

And what I don't understand is why Non-Christians who say things like: We like Jesus, just not his followers, well why do they downplay the celebration of his birthday (pagan thing anyway?).

What is wrong with celebrating a guy whose ethics was the foundation of our Western civilisations?
Because the non-religious one is so much more fun and means more to us (the focus on friends/family/gifts/celebrations). Who wants to here about some baby in born in a barn 2000 year ago, or that he got nailed to a cross to die? Its boring at the start and sadistic at the end, I much prefer the happy jolly focus of the non-religious version. So you keep your holiday and I'll keep mine.:p

Why would I want to celebrate his birthday anyway? He's hardly the only moral philosopher to influence the West, nor was he completely original (The greeks even had the seeds of modern democracy, something Jesus left out completely). I don't celebrate any other famous historical figures birthdays and even if I did I'd never go to the extents your asking. He's your messiah not mine remember so you have to expect I don't care as much about him as much as you will.

Upvote 0

DavinMochrie

Jan 12, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
✟2,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because the non-religious one is so much more fun and means more to us (the focus on friends/family/gifts/celebrations). Who wants to here about some baby in born in a barn 2000 year ago, or that he got nailed to a cross to die? Its boring at the start and sadistic at the end, I much prefer the happy jolly focus of the non-religious version. So you keep your holiday and I'll keep mine.:p

Why would I want to celebrate his birthday anyway? He's hardly the only moral philosopher to influence the West, nor was he completely original (The greeks even had the seeds of modern democracy, something Jesus left out completely). I don't celebrate any other famous historical figures birthdays and even if I did I'd never go to the extents your asking. He's your messiah not mine remember so you have to expect I don't care as much about him as much as you will.

Aren't you glad that this is no longer a christian forum!! YAY! LOL

Upvote 0

ScMay

Dec 5, 2004
Melbourne
✟951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
ScMay's reply shows all the more what we as Christians should be doing on Christmas
Maybe, I'm sure you've noticed that a lot (possibly most?) Christians like my version better too though :p. So you've definitely got an uphill struggle in changing hearts and minds.
Though the Christians liking the Santa version of Christmas tend to be non-church goers in my experience, which it explains part of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Maybe, I'm sure you've noticed that a lot (possibly most?) Christians like my version better too though :p. So you've definitely got an uphill struggle in changing hearts and minds.
Though the Christians liking the Santa version of Christmas tend to be non-church goers in my experience, which it explains part of it.
Meh. I don't have a Christmas tree/stocking/tinsel etc. Not all Christians participate in the 'Hallmark' version of Christmas.

Upvote 0