San Francisco archbishop responds to Pelosi: 'No Catholic in good conscience can favor abortion'

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,747,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(Just so nobody misses it).

San Francisco, Calif., Jan 21, 2021 / 01:20 pm MT (CNA).- The Archbishop of San Francisco on Thursday responded to the Speaker of the House accusing pro-life Trump voters of being sellouts.

In a Jan. 18 podcast with former senator and presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said that support of pro-life voters for former President Donald Trump was an issue that “gives me great grief as a Catholic.”

“I think that Donald Trump is president because of the issue of a woman’s right to choose,” she said of abortion, implying that pro-life voters boosted Trump to victory in 2016. She added that these voters “were willing to sell the whole democracy down the river for that one issue.”

On Thursday, Pelosi’s archbishop responded to her comments on abortion and voting.

“No Catholic in good conscience can favor abortion,” said Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone of San Francisco, Pelosi’s home diocese, in a statement issued on Thursday. “Our land is soaked with the blood of the innocent, and it must stop.”

Pelosi has long supported abortion despite her Catholic faith. In 2008, she said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” regarding when life begins, “over the centuries, the doctors of the church have not been able to make that definition.” She said that her Catholic faith “shouldn’t have an impact on a woman’s right to choose.”

On Thursday, Archbishop Cordileone clarified that "Nancy Pelosi does not speak for the Catholic Church."

“And on the question of the equal dignity of human life in the womb, she [Pelosi] also speaks in direct contradiction to a fundamental human right that Catholic teaching has consistently championed for 2,000 years,” Cordileone said.

Continued below.
San Francisco archbishop responds to Pelosi: 'No Catholic in good conscience can favor abortion'

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,252,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I doubt Nancy is worried. So what if her home bishop denies her communion. Would Wilton Gregory really forbid her put her immortal soul in peril? We shall see soon enough but my money is on Pelosi getting her way in Washington. And further money on Cardinal Cupich attacking archbishop Cordileone for not being nice to Democrats.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0