• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Salvation and OCD

amandita

A veces I forget which idioma I'm hablando...
May 4, 2010
USA
✟15,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, is this right:

I believe/know/accept that I am a sinner who deserves punishment and death for my sins. I agree with that, even though it is hard for me to see how bad sin really is. I believe/know/accept that Jesus Christ lived a sinless life, died on the cross to pay for my sins, and rose again. I agree with that. I believe he is the only way. I have prayed for forgiveness and have asked him to save me, and I know that I am not saved because of those things but because my salvation was accomplished 2000 years ago when Jesus died.

Upvote 0

amandita

May 4, 2010
USA
✟15,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for that video. I agree with it. I know that I am a terrible sinner, and I do feel bad and guilty when I sin, but I feel like I don't feel bad enough. I know I need a savior, and Jesus is the only one that can save me. So I just ask him to do it and trust that he will? But I have to know that my salvation is not based on the fact that I prayed a prayer or asked him to do it for me but because he paid for my sins on the cross?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your salvation is based on faith in the grace of God through Jesus Christ. I would not discount praying a prayer for when you did you were saved, you called on the Lord to save you, that's not a work, that is a confession to God that you needed His salvation. The bible says: "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Your trust is not in the prayer that you prayed though, it is in the One whom you prayed too. This is the place where you are getting confused: faith (the prayer you prayed) is not a work because the bible says that any faith we have is a gift of God, so the faith it took for you to pray to Jesus to save you came from Him, it was the work of the Holy Spirit: "For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God" (Ephesians 2:8)

You are on the right track in your thinking of salvation, it has nothing to do with you other then the heart felt choice to turn to God, but like I said without the workings of the Holy Spirit you would not have been able to do that either. Jesus said: "No man can come to me, except the Father which has sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." (John 6:44)

This is why God has made the way of salvation by faith, because it takes self out of the equation all together....We are to believe what His word says, that is all, Jesus died and rose again for our justification, that is the gospel, we are to submit to His rule in us and realize that if not for Him we would fall right back into sin. He alone upholds us in our walk with Him and it is by Him that we were saved in the first place.

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit." (Titus 3:5)

Upvote 0

amandita

May 4, 2010
USA
✟15,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does Romans 10:13 really mean what it literally says? Just tell Jesus you want and need Him to be your savior and he will save you? I know it is just my OCD, but I am afraid that even though I have admitted how I am a sinner in need of a savior and have asked him to save me that he has told me no, which I know is not right and doesn't make sense.

I feel so jealous over people who have relatively "normal" walks with God. I feel sad that salvation appears so complicated and scary to me.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel so jealous over people who have relatively "normal" walks with God. I feel sad that salvation appears so complicated and scary to me.

I feel the same way sometimes, I have OCD too and it affects how I pray and how I relate to the Lord, it's hard most of the time. But what keeps me going is not what I feel, or even what I think, its what I believe and the same can be true for you. Put your trust not in your thoughts and feelings but in the Word of God, that may sound cliche' but it is absolute truth, when the Lord says He loves us we need to take Him at His word, no matter what our feelings tell us.

On your question about Romans 10:13 I would tell you that you are to take it literally, not everything in the bible is so clear and its hard to take a literal interpretation on everything. But if a verse offers itself to a literal interpretation we should not try and over think it and just accept it for what it says. This is one of those verses; you see salvation is not hard, the Lord wants it to be easy, He has said Himself that "His yoke is easy and His burden is light."

"For whosoever (everybody in the world, if you are a human you meet the criteria) shall call (ask) upon the name (the Person) of the Lord (Jesus) shall (will, no strings attached) be saved (redeemed and made right with the Lord).

He does not say "no" to us when we ask Him to save us (the people who should worry are the ones who don't want to ask!), even though your mind and satan may say that God has said "no", the Lord Jesus has already said "yes" in His word to you. Believe His voice in writing.

Reactions: veryworried
Upvote 0

Tredoslop

Jan 7, 2011
✟7,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel the same way sometimes, I have OCD too and it affects how I pray and how I relate to the Lord, it's hard most of the time. But what keeps me going is not what I feel, or even what I think, its what I believe and the same can be true for you. Put your trust not in your thoughts and feelings but in the Word of God, that may sound cliche' but it is absolute truth, when the Lord says He loves us we need to take Him at His word, no matter what our feelings tell us.

On your question about Romans 10:13 I would tell you that you are to take it literally, not everything in the bible is so clear and its hard to take a literal interpretation on everything. But if a verse offers itself to a literal interpretation we should not try and over think it and just accept it for what it says. This is one of those verses; you see salvation is not hard, the Lord wants it to be easy, He has said Himself that "His yoke is easy and His burden is light."

"For whosoever (everybody in the world, if you are a human you meet the criteria) shall call (ask) upon the name (the Person) of the Lord (Jesus) shall (will, no strings attached) be saved (redeemed and made right with the Lord).

He does not say "no" to us when we ask Him to save us (the people who should worry are the ones who don't want to ask!), even though your mind and satan may say that God has said "no", the Lord Jesus has already said "yes" in His word to you. Believe His voice in writing.
You guys aren't alone in this feeling. ;)
(By that, I mean I'm going through that feeling right now.)

Does Romans 10:13 really mean what it literally says? Just tell Jesus you want and need Him to be your savior and he will save you? I know it is just my OCD, but I am afraid that even though I have admitted how I am a sinner in need of a savior and have asked him to save me that he has told me no, which I know is not right and doesn't make sense.

I can sympathize with you sister!
I feel like I'm really envious of my other brothers in Christ because they have a really 'easy' or 'simple' walk with God, and here I am...the unluckiest guy in the world (as I sometimes stylize myself).

In fact, right now, I'm really envious of those who have walked with Christ for a long time and are now in their 60s, or 70s, or even 80s! I just think to myself: "You guys are so lucky! You are that much closer to returning to God!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silver2001

Feb 5, 2011
SP
✟15,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Amanda,
I see that you are very desperate searching and searching for God.
I would like to help you understand few things. Your salvation will be complete when you finally die; up till then, it will be on a daily basis. I am not sure if I understand completely everything that you are going thru. Just saying that you want Jesus to be your Savior will not save you. God wants to see if we really mean business.
You might ask me... How am I saved everyday? How will God know that I mean business? It is very simple... hear and obey God's voice.

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0

VZ2011

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,676.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Extreme spiritual fearfulness (over blasphemy & going to hell) & doubting (even while you are pursing God, reading his word, and in prayer)are forms of spiritual OCD. They and other racing negative fearful thoughts are the result of a vitamin deficiency which causes a chemical imbalance in the brain and is treatable with extreme daily doses of vitamines. If you or a loved one experience extreme spiritual fearfulness, Bi-Polar, manic depression, OCD or schizophrenia tendancies (paranoia, visual hallucinations, hearing voices), depression, insomnia, racing thoughts, panic attacks, anxiety, other mental distresses, do yourself a favor and reasearch depression, schizophrenia, OCD vitamin and orthomolecular therapy and the work of a canadian doctor named Abram Hoffer. Basically he developed a treatment (that truly WORKS) with Vitamines. It's a minimal cost to incur to invest in your physical and mental AND SPIRITUAL wellness. I am not peddling anyone's vitamines. You can get any brand at Walmart or a grocery store or a vitamine store on line. These Vitamin supplements have been a tremendous help to my relative and myself who continue to experience greater and greater healing each day that we continue with this vitamine therapy. Relief comes within the first couple of days and continues as you continue to take the vitamine supplements. You must take them for the rest of your life or risk a relapse.

1000 mg niacian daily (get a combination of flush-free and regular niacin) the regular will cause you to flush--(you will get red and hot but this means it is working--the longer it takes you to flush the more you needed it. the redness goes away in about 15 minutes. The flush-free niacin will not make you flush. only take the Niacin in such a high dose for a few days if you are having extreme trouble controlling thoughts and/or experiencing sleeplessness. If you start to feel nauceaous, lower the dosage or skip a day altogether with it, then take a "normal" dosage, like 100-500 mg. An extremely high dose like 1000-2000 is for when things get extremely uncontrollable and it should only be temporary. It's too much to take regularly. After a day or two you could start to feel naucious from that much, but it will jumpstart the seratonin in your brain to help you relax and control your thoughts, then you can lower it to 500.

2000-3000 mg Vitamine C take 1000 mg 3x a day

HTP5 - At least 100 mg daily

Vitamine B 8 - (inisitol) - 10-18g per day depending on severity of your OCD (it's alot but take it)

Vitamine B combo vitamine 2 or 3 per day (with B1, B6, B12)

Essential Omega Fats (with fish oil and flax) take 2-3 per day.

Results will be notable within a day or two, with the greatest results starting at around 6 weeks of taking these.

Swear off all junk food, all artificial sweetners, all refined white sugar products, all alcohol, eat GOOD NUTRITIOUS FOOD, fresh and frozen vegetables, fruits, unsweetned fruit juice, filtered water or spring water, cut down on caffeine. Going gluetin free is also good but it's not necessary for everyone.

Please research these things on line yourself as I am not allowed to post URLs on this site. I would have posted them if I could have.

Please, also understand that you must honor Jesus Christ and trust his shed blood and ressurection fully for salvation. Read the word daily and pray, and live according to biblical principals and this along with proper nutrition, will eliminate spiritual OCD and extreme spiritual fearfulness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VZ2011

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,676.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Father, i pray for this child of yours, Amandita, in Jesus name, I pray you give the revelation of the love and the sound mind that Jesus provides, and the wisdom and discernment from the Holy Spirit if we but ask. I pray a willingness for this child to receive wisdom from you for this situation, to forgive all who have hurt or wronged him or her, I pray a willingness to come before you humbly in prayer and spending time in your word to receive the blessings, the help and encouragement you said you would give to those who seek you diligently and with all their heart. I come against the schemes of the devil, i come against all false doctrines, i come against all evil, wicked spirits of deception, confusion and fear, and I also come against spiritual and physical nutritional deficiency ignorance. Please open the eyes and ears of this child, and give them the desire to want the good and hate the evil and want will help them and disdain that which harms them in the forms of food, drugs, thoughts, deeds, and imaginations. I come against all wicked spirits in high places that have come against this child of yours, I come against all confusion, all fear, i come against any spiritual apathy, hopelessness, lack of faith, I speak healing and health to this child of yours, spirit, mind, and body, in Jesus name, because of what Jesus has done for us with his suffering and dying and being raised from the dead. By his stripes we WERE healed. It's already finished. I pray this child of yours receives that revelation today and enters into the fullness of wellness and spiritual healing you have for him or her. In Jesus name, I thank and praise You Lord, for you are good and You yourself have said, "IT IS FINISHED" you overcame the devil and made us more than conquerors, and I pray this child receives the revelation of that, receives courage from you and help from Your precious Holy Spirit and good angels from above. Thank you Lord. You are good and you keep your promises. Reveal yourself as the bread of life to this child and increase their appetite for You and all your peace, truth and love, for he who you set free is free indeed, set Amandita free now and forevermore.

Upvote 0

pitseleh

up on the roof staring at the stars.
Jul 21, 2011
in the south!
✟7,868.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'll pray for you too. I know exactly what you are going through as well. It's like you cannot get your head wrapped around something you've known as true for years. It probably makes you feel a bit fragmented. I know that's what is going on with me.

Upvote 0