Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Out of curiosity I put the same question:

What is salvation and how do I get it?

to two different Artificial Intelligence systems - Chat GPT (Bing) and Bard (Google).

I've put both answers below.

Are they both correct?
Which is the better answer?

OB

Chat GPT (Bing AI)

Salvation generally refers to the deliverance of the soul from sin and its consequences. It is a process that begins when we accept Jesus Christ’s sacrifice for our sins and are saved from our past sins and their penalty. The academic study of salvation is called soteriology. Salvation comes to those who repent and, by faith, receive Jesus alone as personal Savior and Lord. It is the act of being forgiven of our sins and wiping the slate clean, and it offers a second chance to live an eternal life in heaven and escape the wages of sin1.

Would you like me to look up more information on this topic?

Learn more:

1. en.wikipedia.org

2. compellingtruth.org

3. lifehopeandtruth.com

4. learnreligions.com5. faithward.org

Bard (Google AI)

Salvation is the act of being saved or rescued from a dangerous or difficult situation. In Christianity, salvation refers to the deliverance of human beings from sin and its consequences, which include death and separation from God.

Salvation is made possible through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Jesus took on the punishment for our sins and died on the cross in our place. When we believe in Jesus and accept his sacrifice for our sins, we are forgiven and made right with God. We are then saved from the consequences of our sin, which is eternal death.

There are five steps to salvation, according to the Bible:
  1. Hear the Word. Faith comes through hearing, and hearing comes through the Word of God (Romans 10:17). This means that we need to hear the gospel message of Jesus Christ and understand what it means.
  2. Believe the Word. We must believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that he died on the cross for our sins, and that he rose from the dead.
  3. Repent of your sins. Repentance means to turn away from our sins and turn to God. It is a change of heart and mind that leads to a change in behavior.
  4. Confess Jesus to others. We must confess our faith in Jesus Christ to others. This is not just a matter of saying the words, but of living our lives in a way that shows that we believe in him.
  5. Salvation is a gift from God, and it is not something that we can earn. However, we must respond to God's gift by believing in Jesus Christ and following him. When we do this, we are saved from sin and its consequences, and we are given the hope of eternal life with God.

If you are interested in learning more about salvation, I encourage you to talk to a pastor or other Christian leader. They can help you understand the Bible's teaching on salvation and how you can receive it.

B
byword
Perhaps we’ll rename our denominations after our preferred AI system….
Future interaction of two AI church-goers:

“I go to the First BARDist Church, downtown.”
“Well, I’m a BINGer, so I don’t follow BARD theology.”
“A BINGist?! I don't trust doctrine from Prometheus commentaries. Of course, there’s the Perplexities that always over-complicate doctrines- false teaching, if ya ask me…”
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟326,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

to two different Artificial Intelligence systems - Chat GPT (Bing) and Bard (Google).

Are they both correct?

OB

Chat GPT (Bing AI)

Salvation generally refers to the deliverance of the soul from sin and its consequences. It is a process that begins when we accept Jesus Christ’s sacrifice for our sins and are saved from our past sins and their penalty. The academic study of salvation is called soteriology. Salvation comes to those who repent and, by faith, receive Jesus alone as personal Savior and Lord. It is the act of being forgiven of our sins and wiping the slate clean, and it offers a second chance to live an eternal life in heaven and escape the wages of sin1.

Learn more:

1. en.wikipedia.org

2. compellingtruth.org

3. lifehopeandtruth.com

Bard (Google AI)

Salvation is the act of being saved or rescued from a dangerous or difficult situation. In Christianity, salvation refers to the deliverance of human beings from sin and its consequences, which include death and separation from God.

Salvation is made possible through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Jesus took on the punishment for our sins and died on the cross in our place. When we believe in Jesus and accept his sacrifice for our sins, we are forgiven and made right with God. We are then saved from the consequences of our sin, which is eternal death.

1. Hear the Word. Faith comes through hearing, and hearing comes through the Word of God (Romans 10:17). This means that we need to hear the gospel message of Jesus Christ and understand what it means.
  2. Believe the Word. We must believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that he died on the cross for our sins, and that he rose from the dead.
  3. Repent of your sins. Repentance means to turn away from our sins and turn to God. It is a change of heart and mind that leads to a change in behavior.
  4. Confess Jesus to others. We must confess our faith in Jesus Christ to others. This is not just a matter of saying the words, but of living our lives in a way that shows that we believe in him.
  5. Salvation is a gift from God, and it is not something that we can earn. However, we must respond to God's gift by believing in Jesus Christ and following him. When we do this, we are saved from sin and its consequences, and we are given the hope of eternal life with God.

If you are interested in learning more about salvation, I encourage you to talk to a pastor or other Christian leader. They can help you understand the Bible's teaching on salvation and how you can receive it.

The first one is actually correct.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Are they both correct?

OB

Chat GPT (Bing AI)

Learn more:

1. en.wikipedia.org

2. compellingtruth.org

3. lifehopeandtruth.com

Bard (Google AI)

-​

Ask, How does a person receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟993,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
-​

Ask, How does a person receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

That's a loaded question. I'm interested in the answers to the question I asked. It's also a fiddly exercise cleaning up the answers for a neat cut and paste into CF.

Both Bing AI and Bard AI are freely available to computer users. You can ask them everything you ever wanted to know.

OB

Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Bing Chat uses Prometheus, a proprietary technology that integrates GPT-4 in a suite of features that provide a bridge between Bing Search and AI chat. In my opinion, as someone who has been using Bing Chat (Microsoft) and ChatGPT Plus (OpenAI) extensively, the former definitely provides an experience noticeably inferior to the latter (but far superior to GPT-3.5, though). ChatGPT Plus also doesn't throw tantrums and rage-quit the way Bing Chat routinely does.

I would also recommend Perplexity AI (independent startup), a conversational search engine that is a step up from Bing Chat but still not as good as ChatGPT Plus. It is a large language model that uses natural language processing and machine learning to provide precise and accurate answers to questions. I had asked it to describe the difference between conditional immortality and annihilationism and was shocked by how precise and sophisticated its answer was. (And, like Bing Chat, it provides sources for its answers.)

I have never tried Bard. I heard bad reviews for it and never bothered.

Perplexity AI (independent startup):

Salvation is the free gift that God offers to us, and it is the gift of freedom from our sins that Jesus made possible by taking the punishment for our sins on the cross. It is a process, not a one-time event, and as we become more like Christ, God works through us to share Christ's love and grace with the world. The simplest definition of salvation is to be delivered (or rescued) from peril, and the most common meaning of salvation is to be saved by God from the consequences of our sin.

The Bible presents only one step to salvation, which is faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior. The message of the Bible is clear: we have all sinned, and the wages of sin is death. However, if we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. To receive the redemption God provided for all of us through Jesus Christ, we must believe the truth and turn to God.

Here are some steps to receive salvation:
  1. Repent - Acknowledge your sin before God and ask for forgiveness.
  2. Confess - Confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus died, he rose, and he will return again.
  3. Believe - Believe that God has forgiven you and that he will fulfill his promise to baptize you with his Holy Spirit.
  4. Connect - Connect and grow with other believers in a local church.
  5. Share - Share the good news of salvation with others.
Remember that salvation is a gift from God that we cannot earn through our own merits. It is given to us through our loving and merciful Father, who sent his only Son Jesus Christ to pay the wages of our sins.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟993,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Bing Chat uses Prometheus, a proprietary technology that integrates GPT-4 in a suite of features that provide a bridge between Bing Search and AI chat. In my opinion, as someone who has been using Bing Chat (Microsoft) and ChatGPT Plus (OpenAI) extensively, the former definitely provides an experience noticeably inferior to the latter (but far superior to GPT-3.5, though). ChatGPT Plus also doesn't throw tantrums and rage-quit the way Bing Chat routinely does.

I would also recommend Perplexity AI (independent startup), a conversational search engine that is a step up from Bing Chat but still not as good as ChatGPT Plus. It is a large language model that uses natural language processing and machine learning to provide precise and accurate answers to questions. I had asked it to describe the difference between conditional immortality and annihilationism and was shocked by how precise and sophisticated its answer was. (And, like Bing Chat, it provides sources for its answers.)

I have never tried Bard. I heard bad reviews for it and never bothered.

Perplexity AI (independent startup):

Salvation is the free gift that God offers to us, and it is the gift of freedom from our sins that Jesus made possible by taking the punishment for our sins on the cross. It is a process, not a one-time event, and as we become more like Christ, God works through us to share Christ's love and grace with the world. The simplest definition of salvation is to be delivered (or rescued) from peril, and the most common meaning of salvation is to be saved by God from the consequences of our sin.​
The Bible presents only one step to salvation, which is faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior. The message of the Bible is clear: we have all sinned, and the wages of sin is death. However, if we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. To receive the redemption God provided for all of us through Jesus Christ, we must believe the truth and turn to God.​
Here are some steps to receive salvation:​
  1. Repent - Acknowledge your sin before God and ask for forgiveness.
  2. Confess - Confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus died, he rose, and he will return again.
  3. Believe - Believe that God has forgiven you and that he will fulfill his promise to baptize you with his Holy Spirit.
  4. Connect - Connect and grow with other believers in a local church.
  5. Share - Share the good news of salvation with others.
Remember that salvation is a gift from God that we cannot earn through our own merits. It is given to us through our loving and merciful Father, who sent his only Son Jesus Christ to pay the wages of our sins.​

Thanks DS

For this particular question Bard and Perplexity appear to have provided similar answers including the 5 steps to salvation. The answers are also more explanatory and in plain English. Unfortunately, neither quote sources. Edit. Perplexity actually does provide sources.

Bing is shorter and more laced with impenetrable Christian jargon (a pet peeve of mine) and is less explanatory. It does however include sources.

I occasionally play with the Bingbot but if the response to this sample question is typical, I'll switch to Bard or Perplexity.

In your opinion, were the answers technically correct?

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟326,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What about the second one? Is it also correct?

(NB: I'm a non-Christian who's relatively ignorant on the topic of salvation)

OB

If you look at the first definition you'll see an emphasis on two things. One is past sins, the other is a "clean slate". Past, or previous, sins are forgiven by baptism. As the writer to the Romans said:

Rom 3:25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,

The writer of 2 Peter says the same, though in the form of a hypothetical:

2Pe 1:9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

Notice past sins. The "clean slate" of your first example is granted by baptism:

2Co 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

The writer of 1 Peter explains baptism further:

1Pe 3:21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

The meaning is that water baptism is not meant to remove dirt from the outside of the body, it is to cleanse the conscience through the removal of past sins, making the new creation, or creating a "clean slate" to begin again with. Your second example doesn't give a full enough explanation of that.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟993,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
If you look at the first definition you'll see an emphasis on two things. One is past sins, the other is a "clean slate". Past, or previous, sins are forgiven by baptism. As the writer to the Romans said:

Rom 3:25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,

The writer of 2 Peter says the same, though in the form of a hypothetical:

2Pe 1:9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

Notice past sins. The "clean slate" of your first example is granted by baptism:

2Co 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

The writer of 1 Peter explains baptism further:

1Pe 3:21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

The meaning is that water baptism is not meant to remove dirt from the outside of the body, it is to cleanse the conscience through the removal of past sins, making the new creation, or creating a "clean slate" to begin again with. Your second example doesn't give a full enough explanation of that.

Thanks @HTacianas
OB

Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
In your opinion, were the answers technically correct?

Bing Chat was barely correct, but its answer did contain some fairly egregious errors. For example, it said that when we accept Christ we are "saved from our past sins and their penalty." His atoning sacrifice saves us from all our sin—past, present, and future (i.e., not just past). I also don't love that nothing was said about reconciling God and man.

Bard was considerably more accurate, and I love that it espoused conditional immortality (it said that the punishment for sin is "eternal death"). I also loved that it encouraged you to "talk to a pastor or other Christian leader." But it was kind of weird that it said there are "five steps to salvation" but then proceeds to list only four. (The fifth one wasn't actually a step, but rather a repeat of the explanation of salvation.)

Perplexity AI was by far the most accurate. And its five steps were actually five steps. It also won bonus points for expressing salvation in terms of penal substitutionary atonement ("taking the punishment for our sins on the cross"), and including being conformed to the image of Christ ("It is a process, not a one-time event, and as we become more like Christ"). I appreciated that level of precision. It lost a point for contradicting itself, though: "The Bible presents only one step to salvation ... Here are [five] steps to receive salvation").

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟151,595.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Both Bard and Bing AI say "we", do they consider themselves eligible for salvation? :)

Also, its interesting that they provided only Christian (specifically protestant) answers. Its obvious that the data for those answers are being fed mostly from the American environment.

Theologically, I am not sure what Bing AI means by "the second chance". Its quite an unusual concept or phrase.
Google AI mentions confessing Jesus to others as a step to salvation, which is quite controversial.

Google wanted to be the most neutral "In Christianity...", while Perplexity seems similar to a Christian pastor talking, in an answer to me it even included an emotional encouraging statement with exclamation mark :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That's a loaded question. I'm interested in the answers to the question I asked. It's also a fiddly exercise cleaning up the answers for a neat cut and paste into CF.

Both Bing AI and Bard AI are freely available to computer users. You can ask them everything you ever wanted to know.

OB

It is a really simple answer, belief in Jesus

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟909,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Are they both correct?

OB

Chat GPT (Bing AI)

Learn more:

1. en.wikipedia.org

2. compellingtruth.org

3. lifehopeandtruth.com

Bard (Google AI)

Hands down Bard! He gets the key message of " separation from God" the consequence of not being saved. He also gives a step by step process starting with exactly what we repent from first...unbelief! Impressive.
Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The Google AI mentions confessing Jesus to others as a step to salvation, which is quite controversial.

Not too controversial, I hope, for Jesus did say, "Whoever, then, acknowledges me before people, I will acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever denies me before people, I will deny him also before my Father in heaven" (Matt 10:32-33).

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟151,595.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not too controversial, I hope, for Jesus did say, "Whoever, then, acknowledges me before people, I will acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever denies me before people, I will deny him also before my Father in heaven" (Matt 10:32-33).
I suppose this is the source for the AI step. But I do not know of any church teaching that you must confess to other people to be saved.

The context of the quoted verse is about denying Christ during a persecution, because of fear of death. Its not said in the places where "how to be saved" is talked about, in the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟993,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
If no man/woman wrote the code which is HUGE there would be no AI. The so called AI can only pull up what some man/woman put into it. Every answer will have some "mans" hand print so to speak.

Don't worry Blade. I don't think anyone believes we have a brain in a jar (yet).

It's just a mix of a search algorithm combined with a little language training (just like me)

OB

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,509,638.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But I do not know of any church teaching that you must confess to other people to be saved.
Would that not be implied in the idea that baptism is a normative part of the salvific process? (I say this very carefully, well aware of the "what about the thief on the cross?" type objections, but realising that most of us do not come to faith in such extreme circumstances, and most churches would expect baptism as part of a conversion process).

@Occams Barber I didn't particularly like either answer in the OP. You could split hairs about this point or that, this phrase or that, but I think my discomfort boils down more to distrusting a "pat" answer, given as a sort of abstract template, rather than a personal encounter, which can be quite different for each person.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0