JackB03

Mar 7, 2009
Rockwall, Tx
✟7,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to Allison - To further drive the point home that Yeshua could not break the Sabbath and still be sinless, remember 1 John 3:4-6 (NCV)...
4 The person who sins breaks God's law. Yes, sin is living against God's law. 5 You know that Christ came to take away sins and that there is no sin in Christ. 6 So anyone who lives in Christ does not go on sinning. Anyone who goes on sinning has never really understood Christ and has never known him.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
According to Allison - To further drive the point home that Yeshua could not break the Sabbath and still be sinless, remember 1 John 3:4-6 (NCV)...
4 The person who sins breaks God's law. Yes, sin is living against God's law. 5 You know that Christ came to take away sins and that there is no sin in Christ. 6 So anyone who lives in Christ does not go on sinning. Anyone who goes on sinning has never really understood Christ and has never known him.

Jesus was Jewish. What is sin for a Gentile?

No one who has come to Christ is going to hell, are they?

Upvote 0

Erik123

Aug 9, 2011
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jack,

I thought I would take a stab at answering your question (you certainly are getting a lot of free advice today, maybe the Lord is knocking on your door?). I personally follow the Torah of God the best I can in my life as I understand it, and I also believe that Jesus came and died for our sins. If that makes me biased in your eyes then I'm sorry.

Firstly, we are none of us free of sin. Yes, Jesus/Yeshua was blameless. He had to be in order to be the perfect atonement for us ... ALL of us. Look at Paul. He went around persecuting new followers of the Way before Christ appeared to him, and yet he was redeemed and given a new direction in life. I believe a lot of it had to do with his heart condition and also with his understanding at the time.

It is abundantly clear from the scriptures (from Genesis to Revelation) that there is incredible mercy and forgiveness with God. It is also clear that there is judgement coming on the world and that:

(This is Jesus talking, by the way) Matt 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’
(the capitals are quoted scripture, not emphasized and being spoken at you with a pointing finger)

So, here we have the great balancing game: sin vs. grace. How much is there of each one? However, this line of thinking sometimes turns into "how much am I able to get away with and still be saved," which I personally think is the wrong attitude.

I think our focus (all of us, regardless of where we are in our walk of faith or what denomination name we want to carry around on our banner) should be to try to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul and strength, and to love our neighbor as Christ has loved us.

As far as commandment observance goes for new converts, I think the best place to look is at Acts 15, because they were discussing this very topic regarding the gentile converts to 'the way.'

Basically some of the believing Pharisees were saying that new converts had to be compelled to be circumcised and follow the Law of Moses immediately.
Acts 15:5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed stood up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to direct them to observe the Law of Moses.”
Peter says that God who knows the heart gave to them the Holy Spirit and that they are saved like the Jews are, which is by faith and grace, and that they shouldn't place upon them a yoke that they couldn't bear. The yoke that is being described here is trying to follow the Law before your heart, head and faith can handle it, not the Law itself (because His burden is light! Also, see Deut. 30:11-14). So then James decided that the new converts would begin with the starter pack of four things (abstain from things contaminated by idols, fornication, strangled things and from blood) and then said that they would hear about the Law of Moses later on Saturdays/Sabbath when it was regularly read aloud. Here is the scripture where he makes the judgement:
Acts 15:19-21 Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, 20 but that we write to them that they abstain from things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. 21 For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”
Notice at the end of the quote that there is an understanding that the new converts will be going to the synagogues every Sabbath, where they will be hearing God's ways, and it would follow that as the new converts would hear what was being said, they would come to a new understanding gradually and then, as their hearts and the Holy Spirit convicted them, they would pick up and practice pieces of the Law as their understanding and walk in faith allowed! Their growth would be gradual and sincere (they wouldn't have a yoke thrust onto them, they would grow into mature members of the congregation on their own).

I realize that this is probably a radically new concept, and is certainly foreign to many congregations I have been to, but it really is the way I understand it.

I don't personally know what will become of people who worship on Sunday, because it is technically breaking the fourth commandment (and there are some very important things on that list), but at the same time most of them don't even know that the Sabbath is something to consider. God definitely cares about where your heart is, but I believe He takes your understanding into account too. Kind of like how in Acts 15 these new Gentile converts who didn't know about God's ways were given the Holy Spirit too, and given salvation. However, I don't think we are meant to stagnate in our faith. It is clear that following the commandments is pleasing to Jesus and the Father (see John 14:15, 14:21, 14:24. 14:31, 15:10). One important story is that of the rich young ruler from Mark 10:17-27. The rich young man asks Jesus what he must do to be saved, and Christ says "you know the commandments," and starts listing them. When the young man says that he has kept them from his youth up, Jesus feels a love for him, and of course then asks him to sell all he has and to follow Him which the young man finds too hard to do. Later the disciples ask 'then who can be saved?' And Christ replies that "with people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God."

I love walking in a pleasing way to Him. I am not interested in living a life where I try to squeeze in as much of my own desires as I can while maintaining my salvation (before committing each sin thinking "well, He'll just forgive me anyway..."). Yes, I do eat Kosher. I also observe the Sabbath. But the reason I do all these things is because I am so grateful for my salvation due to His mercy. I have been abundantly blessed in all these things I do, but I have earned no merit. I am still a sinful man deserving of death, but I desire my cup to be clean from the inside out and for my actions towards Him and also my fellow man to be something that YHVH can look on and be pleased about and look on me with love.

Upvote 0

AllisonWells

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
✟15,136.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dear Jack,

I love your sincerity, and how you want to follow God's will. It's awesome when the Spirit pulls on our hearts! Ask God for help with your confusion--He will help you!

As for who is going to hell and who isn't--who can make that call? We don't see into people's hearts--only Yahweh can do that. We know from scripture that when people have no knowledge of the law, yet they follow it, they show that it is written on their hearts. This passage in Romans 2 can be a little confusing, so let's look at it in a couple translations. The first is from the NASB (Romans 2:12-17)...

12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

To help with understanding, please bear with me and let's also look at the NCV...

12 People who do not have the law and who are sinners will be lost, although they do not have the law. And, in the same way, those who have the law and are sinners will be judged by the law.13 Hearing the law does not make people right with God. It is those who obey the law who will be right with him.14 (Those who are not Jews do not have the law, but when they freely do what the law commands, they are the law for themselves. This is true even though they do not have the law.15 They show that in their hearts they know what is right and wrong, just as the law commands. And they show this by their consciences. Sometimes their thoughts tell them they did wrong, and sometimes their thoughts tell them they did right.)16 All these things will happen on the day when God, through Christ Jesus, will judge people's secret thoughts. The Good News that I preach says this.

There are some who do not know His ways, yet follow them! Blessed are they! We too are extremely blessed, because we do have access to learn His ways with the Law, the Prophets, and Yeshua Himself! Not everyone has this.

Nonetheless, as soon as you are doing things because you feel you MUST to be saved, you've just missed the whole point. May your actions be prompted by your faith and your sincere love for Him, and may it be the Spirit that compels you, not man. Follow Him because you WANT to, and you believe His Word...not because you feel you HAVE to. You can't be your own Messiah! These are two very different heart conditions, you understand? And take courage, for He knows your heart and the motivation behind what you do.

I used to think that I was a "Gentile" and that the covenants therefore didn't apply to me. However, "Gentile" literally means "pagan," and you are not a pagan anymore! You have been grafted into Israel! It's a little long, but it will help to take a look at Romans 11:17-32 (NCV)...

17 It is as if some of the branches from an olive tree have been broken off. You non-Jewish people are like the branch of a wild olive tree that has been joined to that first tree. You now share the strength and life of the first tree, the Jews.18 So do not brag about those branches that were broken off. If you brag, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you.19 You will say, "Branches were broken off so that I could be joined to their tree."20 That is true. But those branches were broken off because they did not believe, and you continue to be part of the tree only because you believe. Do not be proud, but be afraid.21 If God did not let the natural branches of that tree stay, then he will not let you stay if you don't believe.

22 So you see that God is kind and also very strict. He punishes those who stop following him. But God is kind to you, if you continue following in his kindness. If you do not, you will be cut off from the tree.23 And if the Jews will believe in God again, he will accept them back. God is able to put them back where they were.24 It is not natural for a wild branch to be part of a good tree. And you who are not Jews are like a branch cut from a wild olive tree and joined to a good olive tree. But since those Jews are like a branch that grew from the good tree, surely they can be joined to their own tree again.

25 I want you to understand this secret, brothers and sisters, so you will understand that you do not know everything: Part of Israel has been made stubborn, but that will change when many who are not Jews have come to God.26 And that is how all Israel will be saved. It is written in the Scriptures:
"The Savior will come from Jerusalem;
he will take away all evil from the family of Jacob.
27 And I will make this agreement with those people
when I take away their sins." — Isaiah 59:20–21; 27:9

28 The Jews refuse to accept the Good News, so they are God's enemies. This has happened to help you who are not Jews. But the Jews are still God's chosen people, and he loves them very much because of the promises he made to their ancestors.29 God never changes his mind about the people he calls and the things he gives them.30 At one time you refused to obey God. But now you have received mercy, because those people refused to obey. 31 And now the Jews refuse to obey, because God showed mercy to you. But this happened so that they also can receive mercy from him. 32 God has given all people over to their stubborn ways so that he can show mercy to all.

At the end of the day, there isn't "gentile and Jew," there's God's people! There's Israel! We follow the same Yahweh! There is much more about this, and it is such incredible news, and His mercy is amazing! I'd love to talk with you about the two sticks being combined in Ezekiel 37, because it's related, but perhaps that should wait for another time.

Take courage, and may Yahweh bless you as you live your faith and long to know His will! It certainly appears that the Spirit is tugging at your heart, and revealing new and exciting things to you!

-Allison

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paul.

I think therefore I post
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2008
Australia
✟148,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
What does being Jewish have to do with it?
The answer to this can be found in the Bible passage I previously reccommended, which is Acts 15:1-33. This is the story of the early church dealing with the question, How much of the law should non-Jewish believers keep?

Upvote 0

JackB03

Mar 7, 2009
Rockwall, Tx
✟7,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Erik & Allison - Thanks again for the replies! I really mean it. I understand Romans 2. Especially about people not knowing the law and people living under the law(having the desire to do something, yet not doing it because of the consequence). I want to be within the law and have prayed to Christ to come into my heart to help with desires related to specific commandments. One of my weaknesses is sexual things. I prayed to God to write on my heart to get rid of these desires. I am aware Im a sinner and always will be. I know I have a spiritual problem, as does everyone. Keeping the Sabbath is something I know little about and want to do my best to keep it.

I have prayed and I hope God will reveal it to me. I have faith he will.

Allison - When you mentioned following Him because you WANT too. I am afraid of hell. I am afraid of not entering the Kingdom. Sometimes I have doubts about why I came to God. It seems like my excitement rises then drops to doubt. Especially when Im praying. I know the devil tries to put doubt in our minds, but it scares me sometimes. I did pray this morning and had couple of prayers answered quickly. Atleast thats what I believe.

I also understand, since I am new, it takes time and patience for God to make me complete. I feel he shows me a little more each day. I hate the doubt and the thoughts that pop in my head. I tell satan to flee from me in the name of Jesus and usually helps. Ill keep striving to learn more and have faith in Christ. It really hit me this morning that Christ died for our sins. I always heard that and believed it, but I really thought about it came to realize He did not have to do that for us. It just shows His love for us. It really touched me.

Im not bragging or anything like that in my above statements. Its exciting to talk about God. Its also frustrating trying to understand Him sometimes as well. I want to please God.

Thanks again and God Bless,
Jack

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Erik & Allison - Thanks again for the replies! I really mean it. I understand Romans 2. Especially about people not knowing the law and people living under the law(having the desire to do something, yet not doing it because of the consequence). I want to be within the law and have prayed to Christ to come into my heart to help with desires related to specific commandments. One of my weaknesses is sexual things. I prayed to God to write on my heart to get rid of these desires. I am aware Im a sinner and always will be. I know I have a spiritual problem, as does everyone. Keeping the Sabbath is something I know little about and want to do my best to keep it.

Allison - When you mentioned following Him because you WANT too. I am afraid of hell. I am afraid of not entering the Kingdom. Sometimes I have doubts about why I came to God. It seems like my excitement rises then drops to doubt. Especially when Im praying. I know the devil tries to put doubt in our minds, but it scares me sometimes. I did pray this morning and had couple of prayers answered quickly. Atleast thats what I believe.

I also understand, since I am new, it takes time and patience for God to make me complete. I feel he shows me a little more each day. I hate the doubt and the thoughts that pop in my head. I tell satan to flee from me in the name of Jesus and usually helps. Ill keep striving to learn more and have faith in Christ. It really hit me this morning that Christ died for our sins. I always heard that and believed it, but I really thought about it came to realize He did not have to do that for us. It just shows His love for us. It really touched me.

Im not bragging or anything like that in my above statements. Its exciting to talk about God. Its also frustrating trying to understand Him sometimes as well. I want to please God.

Jack

You're going to be just fine. Great post.

Upvote 0

Erik123

Aug 9, 2011
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jack

Hi Jack,

Thank you for being so humble and honest with the things that are weighing down your heart. I actually have struggled with sexual issues quite a bit myself and although I'm by no means perfect, He has helped me a lot with this area. Thankfully it is a burden that God can help us carry! Like I said in my earlier post, I follow the Law of God the best I understand it. I read the Bible pretty literally, and there is one particular part that has helped me, and it's the commandment on wearing Tzitzits. It is in a couple of places in the Bible, but one of them is here in Numbers 15:

Numbers 15:37 The LORD also spoke to Moses, saying, 38 “Speak to the sons of Israel, and tell them that they shall make for themselves tassels on the corners of their garments throughout their generations, and that they shall put on the tassel of each corner a cord of blue. 39 It shall be a tassel for you to look at and remember all the commandments of the LORD, so as to do them and not follow after your own heart and your own eyes, after which you played the harlot, 40 so that you may remember to do all My commandments and be holy to your God. 41 I am the LORD your God who brought you out from the land of Egypt to be your God; I am the LORD your God.”

It doesn't specify in here how to wear them. I actually wear them underneath my pants because it says that it is for YOU (the wearer) to look at and remember. Originally I did wear them on the outside, but people got really weird and I didn't want to alienate anyone. Other people don't see them (again, they are for me and about my relationship with my Creator, after all), but I know they are there, next to my skin. I think about God when I put them on, and when I am at work/store/wherever and there are attractive women around, even when I know that I could look all I want and no-one would notice, it helps to remind me of who I am, who my Helper is and that keeping the lamp of my body clear actually is important to keep my body filled with light. Plus they were fun to learn how to make.

It sounds like you really want to know about the Sabbath and what that may look like in your life. If you like, I can tell you what it looks like in my house. If you don't like, stop reading now ... :)
ok, you're still here: In the Hebrew calendar, days start at sunset, so Friday night is actually the start of Sabbath. So, on Fridays my wife makes lots of food (or we order takeout - I'm usually at work during the day, or I would be much more helpful. Sorry dear.) and we have a big dinner every Friday night and we invite people over to join us. At the dinner there are many symbolic things that point to Christ, like two loaves of bread covered in a white linen cloth, which we take off and put salt on. I always like to point out that this is like Christ's body, broken for us, being resurrected from the dead and we, being the salt of the earth, are to join Him in the likeness of His death so that we can share with Him in His resurrection life. Also, there is, of course, wine/grape juice. A picture of His blood poured out to cover us for our sins. Stuff like that. We bless the wine, bread and food at the beginning of dinner, and at the end of dinner we say thanks. Then the head of each household will have prepared blessings for the members of his family. I find scripture passages that the Spirit leads me to to bless my family with. I read the scripture over them and say a prayer one at a time. You know, it might sound like a lot of ritual, and that it is a solemn event, but it isn't. We have so much fun, and there is lots of laughter around the table! But, that might just be my dynamic personality ;) Then after dinner we hang out and have fun. In the morning and throughout the day we study scripture together, read the regular Torah and Haftorah portions, as well as related New Covenant scriptures. We go for walks, take naps, sing worship songs (I'm getting better at guitar all the time) and generally take a day for the Lord. It seems like with how fast-paced life is these days that it is impossible to find time for the Sabbath. Looking back, I'm surprised I have lived so long without it.
I read earlier that you work in a hospital and are worried about being called in on a Saturday. This is a tough situation, and one I am familiar with. I work in a hospital too (everyone does, apparently)!! Sometimes I do get called in to work on Saturdays. It is true that people need your help and you will probably save lives. However, I personally have a very strong reservations about earning money on the Sabbath. When I do have to work on Saturdays (it isn't often), I personally have been convicted to donate those funds.
It's mainly that I don't want to make profit and I want to keep my focus throughout the day on God, but you bet your boots that if someone called me up and needed help I would be there in a flash.

I pray that you are blessed in your studies, and that you find the answers you are looking for. I hope that this has blessed you and that you never stop growing in your relationship with God.

God bless you too!
-Erik

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
From Paul's letter to the Galatians (excerpts from Chapters 2 and 3)

For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them." Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for "The righteous shall live by faith."But the law is not of faith, rather "The one who does them shall live by them." Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree"— so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.

Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise.

Reactions: heymikey80
Upvote 0

AllisonWells

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
✟15,136.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jack,

It’s so great to hear from you! As for your concerns about wondering if your motives are where they should be for following Him, I hope you find this verse encouraging:

12 My dear friends, you have always obeyed God when I was with you. It is even more important that you obey now while I am away from you. Keep on working to complete your salvation with fear and trembling, 13 because God is working in you to help you want to do and be able to do what pleases him. –Philippians 2:12-13, NCV

And He most certainly is helping you! Let’s look at this encouragement from Hebrews together:

14 Since we have a great high priest, Jesus the Son of God, who has gone into heaven, let us hold on to the faith we have. 15 For our high priest is able to understand our weaknesses. He was tempted in every way that we are, but he did not sin. 16 Let us, then, feel very sure that we can come before God's throne where there is grace. There we can receive mercy and grace to help us when we need it. –Hebrews 4:14-16, NCV

As for your faith rising and dropping…

In Hebraic thought (and the Bible was written in Hebraic, not Greek, thought), faith is not linear. Our faith goes in upward circles—so there are higher points, and lower points, but in general we still are climbing. In Greek thinking, people sometimes get discouraged because they think their faith development needs to be a constant upward line, and any slip is a catastrophe. But look at Abraham. He makes a huge leap of faith in Genesis 12, obeying Yahweh and leaving his family and land to go where Yahweh tells him to go. Next thing you know, he’s telling Pharaoh that Sarah is his sister.

Have you by any chance thought about praying for greater faith? Remember the man in Mark 9:24, who says, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” (NIV) He can help you to believe more, and what a great desire to have! And you are right, our development does indeed take some time and patience! Hang in there!!!

As for the Sabbath, I wish so much you could come over for Shabbat dinner! It is a lot of fun, and the pictures of Yeshua in the meal are awesome. Now, Elohim created us, so surely being that we are His creation, He knows what we need, when we need it! And surely He knows this better than we do! He gave us the Sabbath for a reason—it is a gift, and now I don’t have a clue how I lived without it for so long! It’s by far my favorite time of the week!

I will keep you in my prayers. Be blessed!!! Take courage!!!

Now, if you don’t mind, I’d like to address the point Aibrean is trying to make from Galatians...

-Allison

Upvote 0

AllisonWells

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
✟15,136.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Galatians is a book which unfortunately gets distorted quite a bit.

I will soon get to the passages you (Aibrean) have quoted from Galatians. But first, some background is very necessary to understand Paul. Let’s look at some things that happened in Acts (I know this is long, but please take the time to read it because I wouldn’t take the time to write it if I didn’t sincerely believe it would help)…

We get introduced to Paul (Saul) with the stoning of Stephen. Please read Acts 6:8-8:1. It’s important.

Okay, notice that there were some FALSE testimonies against Stephen. What were these FALSE testimonies?

1. He blasphemes Moses
2. He blasphemes God
3. He never stops speaking against this holy place
4. He never stops speaking against the law
5. He says Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place
6. He says Jesus will change the customs handed down to the people from Moses

Stephen began his speech. In it, he clearly proclaimed by his teaching from Torah, that he was a zealous student and believed in the law (TORAH). He was a man “full of the Spirit of YHWH and wisdom” (Acts 6:3). He was full of God’s grace and power (Acts 6:8). They couldn’t stand up against his wisdom or the spirit by which he spoke (Acts 6:10). Before he finished, he brought a strong accusation against his false accusers. He cried out, “51"You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit! 52Was there ever a prophet your fathers did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him— 53you who have received the law that was put into effect through angels but have not obeyed it" (Acts 7:51-53; NIV, 1984).

The truth was too much for them to bear so “they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul” (Acts 7:57,58; NIV, 1984).

Saul was zealous about persecuting followers of The Way. When he converted, he was equally zealous to tell the message of The Way--about Yeshua. And what happened to Saul, now Paul? False accusers were brought against him. You will notice that the same false accusations brought against Stephen were the same false accusations brought against Paul.

We see in Acts 21 that when Paul went to Jerusalem, James and the elders "said to Paul: “You see, brother, how many thousands of Jews have believed, and all of them are zealous for the law. 21 They have been informed that you teach all the Jews who live among the Gentiles to turn away from Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children or live according to our customs. 22 What shall we do? They will certainly hear that you have come, 23 so do what we tell you. There are four men with us who have made a vow. 24 Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everyone will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that you yourself are living in obedience to the law (Acts 21:20-24; NIV, 1984)." I like how Acts 21:24 reads in the Aramaic version: “that every one may know, that what is said against you is false, and that you fulfill and observe Torah.”

The liars and false accusers also stirred up the crowd and said, “Fellow Israelites, help us! This is the man who teaches everyone everywhere against our people and our law and this place. And besides, he has brought Greeks into the temple and defiled this holy place” (Acts 21:28; NIV, 1984).

The false accusations brought against Paul were similar to what the liars said about Stephen. Let's look at them:

1. Paul told Jewish converts to turn away from Moses
2. He told them NOT to circumcise their children
3. He told them NOT to live according to their customs
4. Paul teaches ALL men
a. Against the Jewish people
b. Against the law (Torah)
c. Against this place (Jerusalem/Temple)
5. He brought Greeks into the temple (past the court of the gentiles)
6. He defiled the holy place (the temple, by taking a gentile past the court of the gentiles)

Remember that these statements are false accusations and lies. It's good to remember this when reading Paul's letters. So let us not be like the liars, proclaiming that Paul teaches us the law has been done away with.

Paul DID teach that FAITH and a CIRCUMCISED HEART determines whether a person is ready to walk in Torah. Paul did NOT teach against Torah, circumcision, the customs of the Fathers, or any of those other false accusations. However, he did oppose a sect of the Pharisees who demanded blind observation of THEIR religious traditions (Acts 15:5). Paul taught that new believers should have a clear understanding of what they were doing, in relationship to YHWH and His Messiah. To be expected to know and observe complex “halakah” (walks) at early stages of belief is unthinkable. This was what the Elders in Jerusalem said was a YOKE that neither they nor their fathers could bear. Paul agrees with the elders that you must hear the “word of the Lord” every Sabbath as it was read, then let the Holy Spirit convict your heart to start walking it out, rather than to blindly follow the wishes of others. Only a small group of zealots demanded immediate circumcision, which is something Paul clearly opposed. These zealots would compel new believers to be circumcised before they had any understanding in their hearts, so they could count how many followers they had. Paul taught that compelling them to keep Torah was wrong. Paul said, “Yet not even Titus, who was with me, was compelled to be circumcised, even though he was a Greek.” (Galatians 2:3; NIV, 1984). Paul taught Titus Torah and then let the Spirit convict him to do it or not. To say this verse teaches that Titus was taught by Paul against circumcision or any of Torah, is to agree with the liars and false accusers. Perhaps it would be good to remember here that Paul circumcised Timothy: “1Paul came also to Derbe and to Lystra. A disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer, but his father was a Greek. 2He was well spoken of by the brothers at Lystra and Iconium. 3Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him, and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews who were in those places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek” (Acts 16:1-3; NASB). Obviously, Paul upheld circumcision, as he did the rest of Torah. The distinction is that Paul didn’t want people to be circumcised by compulsion. Would Paul compel Timothy to be circumcised? No. Paul didn’t live for man’s approval, or boast in Timothy’s flesh.

I don't believe we should jump to the conclusion that because Titus wasn't compelled to be circumcised, he never was circumcised. That's not what Paul says. It's one thing to be compelled by men, and a very different thing to be compelled by the Holy Spirit.

Perhaps we should consider the same word's usage in other passages, and see what Paul is talking about.

In 2 Corinthians 9:6-7, Paul says “6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (NIV, 1984).

Is it wrong to give? No. But don't let MAN force you to do what is good. Do something good because it's what you decided in your heart. Is it wrong to be circumcised? No. But it's not good if you were compelled by man. Let's not agree with the false accusers that Paul was teaching against Torah and circumcision.

Being compelled by man to keep Torah is a yoke that neither the apostles nor their fathers were able to bear (Acts 15:10). You cannot follow the law by the flesh. What did they decide? To make it easy for Gentile converts, the apostles told them to "abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood” (Acts 15:20; NIV, 1984). Then James continues, "21 For the law of Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath” (Acts 15:21; NIV, 2011). The apostles expect the converts to pick up on the rest when they go to the Synagogue on the Sabbath, and their circumcised hearts and help from the Spirit will allow them to follow Torah--not compulsion from man. We should be compelled to do what is right by the Holy Spirit and our love of YHWH.

"22And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there” (Acts 20:22; NIV, 2011).

"16Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel” (I Corinthians 9:16; NIV, 1984)!

"14For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died” (II Corinthians 5:14; NIV, 1984).

Didn't YHWH lead Ananias to Paul for Paul to be healed and gain his sight again? In Acts 22:12, we read, "12 A man named Ananias came to see me. He was a devout observer of the law and highly respected by all the Jews living there" (NIV, 1984). It wouldn't make any sense for Yahweh to send Ananias, a devout observer of the law and follower of Yeshua, to heal Paul if Yahweh intended for Paul to teach against the Law of Moses and the customs of his Fathers.

Also, remember in Acts 21:20, when James and the elders exclaim "to Paul: “You see, brother, how many thousands of Jews have believed, and all of them are zealous for the law" (NIV, 1984). Did you catch that? It was considered a good thing that thousands of followers of Yeshua were zealous for the law. This is consistent with Scripture, for the Book of Jeremiah tells us

31 “The days are coming,” declares the LORD,
“when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
32 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to them,”
declares the LORD.
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the LORD.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the LORD,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the LORD.
“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more”
(Jeremiah 31:31-34; NIV, 2011).

What was to happen with the law in the new covenant? We know from this Scripture that the law would be in our minds and written on our hearts. That is the new covenant. The work of the Holy Spirit is to write TORAH (instructions of righteousness) upon the hearts of YHWH’s people, both Jews and “those who fear Elohim.” At no time did Paul preach against Torah, the customs of the Fathers or even true circumcision for that matter. It had always been taught that a person must study and develop their understanding and establish the intent in their hearts before following Yahweh’s laws, rather than blindly following the wishes or demands of others. Remember, there was a small sect of zealots who demanded immediate circumcision for salvation, which is something Paul clearly opposed as a new false teaching. It was clear that Abraham received instructions in righteousness before circumcision, and he was the father of Faith for both Jews and Gentiles alike.

I'm getting to Galatians! Please be patient and keep reading my next post or two...

Upvote 0

AllisonWells

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
✟15,136.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Continuing with some background so that when we come to Galatians we have a proper understanding...

Just to throw it out there, we also see Paul go to the Temple to offer animal sacrifices for him and four of his brothers in the Messiah, when they do the Nazarite vow (look at Acts 21:23-24, 26). In Acts 21:26, we read, "26 The next day Paul took the men and purified himself along with them. Then he went to the temple to give notice of the date when the days of purification would end and the offering would be made for each of them" (NIV, 2011). We get a clear picture of the Nazarite vow from Numbers 6. When the days of purification are over, the men who make the Nazarite vow "are to be brought to the entrance to the tent of meeting. 14 There they are to present their offerings to the LORD: a year-old male lamb without defect for a burnt offering, a year-old ewe lamb without defect for a sin offering, a ram without defect for a fellowship offering, 15 together with their grain offerings and drink offerings, and a basket of bread made with the finest flour and without yeast—thick loaves with olive oil mixed in, and thin loaves brushed with olive oil.
16 “‘The priest is to present all these before the LORD and make the sin offering and the burnt offering. 17He is to present the basket of unleavened bread and is to sacrifice the ram as a fellowship offering to the LORD, together with its grain offering and drink offering.
18 “‘Then at the entrance to the tent of meeting, the Nazirite must shave off the hair that symbolizes their dedication. They are to take the hair and put it in the fire that is under the sacrifice of the fellowship offering”
(Numbers 6:13-18; NIV, 2011).

This act should clearly establish in any one's mind that Paul is a Torah observant Jew. It is important to understand that each and every blood sacrifice and offering ever made always pointed to the Messiah’s perfect blood. Why do we not make sacrifices today? Because the temple stood until 70 AD, and Yahweh told His people to "13 Be careful not to sacrifice your burnt offerings anywhere you please. 14 Offer them only at the place the LORD will choose in one of your tribes, and there observe everything I command you" (Deuteronomy 12:13-14; NIV, 2011). The same rule applied with the tabernacle in the desert--Yahweh told His people, " 3 Any Israelite who sacrifices an ox, a lamb or a goat in the camp or outside of it 4 instead of bringing it to the entrance to the tent of meeting to present it as an offering to the LORD in front of the tabernacle of the LORD—that person shall be considered guilty of bloodshed; they have shed blood and must be cut off from their people. 5 This is so the Israelites will bring to the LORD the sacrifices they are now making in the open fields" (Leviticus 17:3-5; NIV, 2011). When sacrifices are made wherever we please, it goes to "goat demons" (Lev. 17:7a). Yahweh tells us that these instructions are "to be a lasting ordinance for them and for the generations to come" (Lev. 17:7b; NIV, 2011).

Because this is lasting and Yahweh isn't a liar, it is consistent with Scripture that we see sacrifices still being made after Yeshua was hung on the cross. They are to remind us of what He did for us--perhaps because we aren't always so bright and he knows we could use a reminder. For that matter, the sacrifices were always to remind us of what either He did or would do for us depending on which side of the cross we live on. Sin has always only been able to be forgiven because of what all the sacrifices point to (what they are a picture of), that is, Yeshua’s ultimate sacrifice for us.

To show that the continuation of sacrifice is consistent--not just in Acts--let's look at what the Book of Ezekiel has to say on the matter. The Book of Ezekiel speaks of the new temple area we will have in Ezekiel chapter 40. Let's look at Ezekiel 40:38-43 together:

" 38 A room with a doorway was by the portico in each of the inner gateways, where the burnt offerings were washed. 39 In the portico of the gateway were two tables on each side, on which the burnt offerings, sin offerings and guilt offerings were slaughtered. 40 By the outside wall of the portico of the gateway, near the steps at the entrance to the north gateway were two tables, and on the other side of the steps were two tables. 41 So there were four tables on one side of the gateway and four on the other—eight tables in all—on which the sacrifices were slaughtered. 42 There were also four tables of dressed stone for the burnt offerings, each a cubit and a half long, a cubit and a half wide and a cubit high. On them were placed the utensils for slaughtering the burnt offerings and the other sacrifices. 43 And double-pronged hooks, each a handbreadth long, were attached to the wall all around. The tables were for the flesh of the offerings" (NIV, 2011). Ezekiel 43:13-27 also talks about sacrifices, as does 45:13-25.

The followers of Yeshua met daily in the temple and gave offerings unto Yahweh, but they also knew atonement was accomplished through the precious blood of Yeshua, once and for all time; from the time of Adam, until he returns. There is no conflict here with the offering of sacrifices. They had always pointed to the Messiah and his mission to save mankind.

When Paul stood before Governor Felix, he gladly made his defense. Paul said, “14However, I admit that I worship the God of our fathers as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that agrees with the Law and that is written in the Prophets” (Acts 24:14; NIV, 2011).

Paul continued to proclaim this same defense before King Agippa. He says, “22But I have had God's help to this very day, and so I stand here and testify to small and great alike. I am saying nothing beyond what the prophets and Moses said would happen— 23that the Christ would suffer and, as the first to rise from the dead, would proclaim light to his own people and to the Gentiles” (Acts 26:22-23; NIV, 1984).

Paul also stood before several leaders of the Jews while at Rome under guard. He put forth his defense: “17Three days later he called together the leaders of the Jews. When they had assembled, Paul said to them: "My brothers, although I have done nothing against our people or against the customs of our ancestors, I was arrested in Jerusalem and handed over to the Romans” (Acts 28:17; NIV, 1984). Even when in prison, he said, “From morning till evening he explained and declared to them the kingdom of God and tried to convince them about Jesus from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets” (Acts 28:23; NIV, 1984).

What did Paul and the other apostles teach? They taught the word of God. We see the words "word of God" quite often through Acts. What is the word of God? It's talking about Torah and the Prophets! This is an important thing to understand!

For example, when Peter and John were told not to speak in Yeshua's name by the Sanhedrin, they went back to the fellow believers and when the believers "heard this, they raised their voices together in prayer to God” (Acts 4:24a; NIV, 1984), and "31 after they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly” (Acts 4:31; NIV, 1984).

Stephen spoke of the “word of God” as living words that were to be passed on TO US!

Stephen said, “37This is that Moses who told the Israelites, 'God will send you a prophet like me from your own people.' 38He was in the assembly in the desert, with the angel who spoke to him on Mount Sinai, and with our fathers; and he received living words to pass on to us” (Acts 7:37-38; NIV, 1984). The “living words” (Torah) weren’t only for the Israelites in the desert, but for the believers in Acts and their children. THAT’S US!

As Stephen called Torah the “living words” that were for us, Paul calls it the “message of salvation” that was for us. Paul boldly proclaimed the living “message of salvation” of Yeshua from the Torah and Prophets.

Take a look at chapter 13 in Acts…

Then, "44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of the Lord” (Acts 13:44; NIV, 1984). The Jews saw the crowds and became jealous, so they talked abusively against what Paul was saying (Acts 13:45).

Continuing in Acts 13:46-49, Paul and Barnabas "answered them boldly: “We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles. 47 For this is what the Lord has commanded us:
“‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles,
that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth (quoting Isaiah 49:6).’”
48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.
49 The word of the Lord spread through the whole region” (NIV, 1984).

What word did Paul and the apostles speak boldly? What word was spread to the ends of the earth? What word was preached to the gentiles? All the answers are the same! THE WORD OF GOD! THE WORD OF THE LORD! TORAH!

Paul didn't preach a NEW LAW. He preached TORAH and the PROPHETS. We see here that the Gentiles appointed for eternal life believed and honored the Word of the Lord--they honored Torah! The gospel, or the message, is the good news about Yeshua from the Torah and the Prophets.

The “word of the Lord,” “the message of salvation,” “the gospel” wasn’t ever to make you righteous by keeping the law. Their purpose was to reveal righteousness. The Law and the Prophets are the gospel message that should still be taught today. They show us how to live and how to find righteousness that comes through faith, not through keeping the law. Paul makes that clear in Romans 3: 19-31.

“19Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. (Pause here for a moment. Paul is saying that those who are “under the law” (those who RELY on their works for their salvation) should have their mouths silenced, because they should become aware that they are sinners. One who is “under the law” should not be righteous in his own sight.) 21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. 27Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. 28For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law. 29Is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. 31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law” (NIV, 1984).

So, why do you keep Torah? You don’t keep Torah to be saved, but to show that you have a living faith, to show your love for Yahweh and His messiah, Yeshua. As people who live in Him, we aren’t to continue sinning, and sin is lawlessness. Let’s look at some scripture to demonstrate this point:

Romans 6:1-2 “1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it” (NASB)?

I John 3:4-6 "4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him" (NIV, 1984).

Hebrews 10:26-31 "26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. 28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29How much more severely do you think someone deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him who said, ‘It is mine to avenge; I will repay’ (see Deut. 32:35), and again, ‘The Lord will judge his people’ (see Deut. 32:36 and Psalm 135:14). 31 It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God" (NIV, 1984).

Again, Yahweh shows us how we can love Him, and His message is consistent:

“but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments” (Exodus 20:6; NIV, 1984).

“but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments” (Deuteronomy 5:10; NIV, 1984).

“Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations” (Deuteronomy 7:9; KJV).

“And said, ‘I beseech thee, O LORD God of heaven, the great and terrible God, that keepeth covenant and mercy for them that love him and observe his commandments’” (Nehemiah 1:5; KJV).

“And I prayed unto the LORD my God, and made my confession, and said, O Lord, the great and dreadful God, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments” (Daniel 9:4; KJV).

“If ye love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15; KJV).

“He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him” (John 14:21; KJV).

“ 23Jesus answered and said unto him, ‘If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him’” (John 14:23; KJV).

I promise...we're getting to Galatians! But a foundation is required first...

Upvote 0

AllisonWells

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
✟15,136.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, we have been introduced to Paul in Acts and have seen that Paul follows Torah. Before, when I used to read the “New” Testament, I would get pretty confused because Paul seemed to contradict himself a good deal, and even more unsettling was that he contradicted Yeshua. I was reading through a conditioned lens that told me the law was gone. But then Paul would say things that really seemed to suggest the opposite—meaning that the law still stood, which would agree with Yeshua.
Here are a few things that would be good to consider…

1. If Yeshua says that He is the Word and the Law isn’t going away (which He does), will you trust Him over Paul?
2. Paul says that he delights in the law (Romans 7:22), and he says other things that suggest we still should be following the law. I believe what Paul says is true, and that he was chosen by Yahweh to give a message, and therefore the message must be consistent with Scripture and Yeshua.
3. Peter says Paul’s letters get distorted (2 Pet. 3:15-16). So when you read something Paul writes that seems to be contradictory to Yeshua, the rest of Scripture, and even himself, it is very likely that you are reading with your conditioned mindset and through the lens of your own cultural understanding. Try to make sure that you are not distorting Paul’s writing to mean something Paul never intended.

So, where do you stand? What do you believe Paul teaches concerning Torah? Do you stand with the FALSE ACCUSORS and LIARS? They say Paul teaches us NOT TO KEEP TORAH!

Or, do you stand with Paul and the Holy Spirit that testifies that he preaches and teaches NOTHING BUT TORAH AND THE PROPHETS! I don’t know about you, but I’m going to stand with Paul and the Holy Spirit.

Now, to finally address those passages from Galatians.

Paul originally taught the people there, and is surprised that teaching has come in and been accepted that has taken away their freedom in Yeshua. He had tried to explain to them about grace and the individual spiritual understanding of all commands that we keep. Someone was trying to teach them another way so that they could brag about disciples and numbers of men that submitted to their teaching. One way people could be ‘counted’ was in the number that had been ‘compelled’ into circumcision.

Circumcision was part of an everlasting covenant from ABRAHAM’S covenant. Paul would have assumed his audience understood that, since he was making a big argument in the book of Galatians that we are children of Abraham’s covenant, hence of faith, because Abraham was saved by his faith… Wasn’t he circumcised? Yes, of course. Wasn’t it commanded for his descendents? Yes, of course.

Understand that Paul was addressing the teaching of a sect of Jews, which is referred to as the circumcision group, who were teaching false doctrine, and they were forcing new followers to be circumcised. Paul fully follows the law, as we saw in Acts, and in Galatians 2:4 he calls his walk with Yeshua liberty. We have already briefly discussed the “law of liberty” (please see my very first post in this forum). But to be "under the law," that is, to RELY on the law for one's salvation, as the circumcision group taught, is done by the flesh and is slavery. Relying on the law, where saving yourself is up to you and you alone and is done by the flesh, forces you to be your own Messiah, and that’s bad. YOU in the flesh are NOT GOOD.

(By the way, I can testify that following His ways with the Spirit, I have never felt so free. He freed you from your bondage to the flesh, so that you can freely follow Him with a circumcised heart! It's awesome!)

This just reiterates what Paul has been saying all along. You shouldn't be compelled by man to follow the law, the Spirit should be what compels you, and you have the Spirit because you have faith. Your life should reflect that you are a new creation, and following the Word of God sets us apart from the world. Being that the law is spiritual (again, see my very first post—Romans 7), and you, being of the flesh are NOT spiritual, you need the Spirit, and then you can follow the law properly! The law of liberty!

With that said, your first scripture reference is from Galatians 3:10-14…

10For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT ABIDE BY ALL THINGS WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW, TO PERFORM THEM (see Deut. 27:26)."
11Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, "THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH (see Hab. 2:4)."
12However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, "HE WHO PRACTICES THEM SHALL LIVE BY THEM (see Lev. 18:5; Neh. 9:29; Ezek. 18:9, 20:11; Luke 10:28)."
13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us--for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE (see Deut. 21:23)"--14in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

The second passage you gave is from Galatians 3:23-29…

23But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed.
24Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.
25But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

26For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
27For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
29And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.

Okay! Let’s talk about these! (Please see the next post...Sorry!)

Upvote 0