'Russians' Behind Huge JPMorgan Cyberattack?

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
The problem here is that a lot of hackers base, technically speaking, out of Russia.

Nearly all botnets(E-mail spammers etc) are based on Russian hosted servers. They're the 'safest' to use for those types of purposes because there aren't many prying eyes and compliance isn't exactly forthcoming when a company is questioned.
A lot of hackers going after individual machines, at least the individuals and groups doing these kinds of things, will also be using foreign servers most of the time as well.

If anything, this is probably just a fluff piece intended to cause further distrust towards Russia in favour of Western governments.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly. We in TAW often discuss how the media treats Russia and Eastern politics in general. This is exactly the type of analysis I planned on when I started this thread. Thanks, Tywin!

The problem here is that a lot of hackers base, technically speaking, out of Russia.

Nearly all botnets(E-mail spammers etc) are based on Russian hosted servers. They're the 'safest' to use for those types of purposes because there aren't many prying eyes and compliance isn't exactly forthcoming when a company is questioned.
A lot of hackers going after individual machines, at least the individuals and groups doing these kinds of things, will also be using foreign servers most of the time as well.

If anything, this is probably just a fluff piece intended to cause further distrust towards Russia in favour of Western governments.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Exactly. We in TAW often discuss how the media treats Russia and Eastern politics in general. This is exactly the type of analysis I planned on when I started this thread. Thanks, Tywin!

You're welcome.

I think it's downright shameful how the media over my way does it as well.

It's subtle things like this that most people won't necessarily consider as sinister, but it's certainly something I'm very sceptical about given the prevalence of this type of activity originating from Russia in general.

For all we know, it may have even been US hackers using Russian hosts as countless other foreign hackers do.

I'd be surprised if the US and other Western governments didn't have services like that in Russia themselves.

Either way, I think it's pretty sad and I'd be very surprised if this isn't just something to try and take us back to the days of old where Russia is the 'big bad meanie' to justify sanctions and dismay towards Russia.

Maybe the US suspects Russia will, rightly so, be annoyed about sanctions being placed on them after the fact and they're using small stories like this to slowly garner public support to combat the backlash that may come.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Whoever it was, they are dangerous, because the hack mainly went for personal information - not your usual SSN, CCN, CAN, etc. So, money isn't the point.

Display of ability was the point, as JPMORGAN is the strongest of the big US banks (i.e. last to fall.)

Information is worth a lot more than money to hackers.

If they're capable of this, they won't need money.

Upvote 0

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It could have been Russia, but I doubt it. Most likely Israel (yes, I said it.) Russia doesn't really have anything to gain from hacking at all, let alone personal information.

It could be a rogue group - apart from the typical geopolitical antics that usually have a rank signature (like a propaganda machine for or against.) The "media" is barely covering this compared to even the Home Depot or Target hack. So, that raises my eyebrow also.

Upvote 0