Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering if this is a familiar name to anyone?

Don't know how many have heard of this guy, my brother and I have been re-discovering him after several years since we used to listen to "A Street Called Straight" and "Live Stock" years ago. I was sad to find out he had died several years ago, a suicide after a drinking binge that landed him in jail. He was just coming into his own, too, after once being known as "the best unknown guitarist in the world." He hooked up with Alligator and they certainly seemed to give his career a boost. I was surprised too, to find out how many people in the blues field look back to him as being the greatest influence on their music. Made a lot of music too, I don't know how many cuts he made, but I've got 15 CD's and I know that's not all, by quite a few.

UncleFud

Feb 16, 2006
✟7,645.00
Faith
Baptist
Rev Wayne said:
I was wondering if this is a familiar name to anyone?

Don't know how many have heard of this guy, my brother and I have been re-discovering him after several years since we used to listen to "A Street Called Straight" and "Live Stock" years ago. I was sad to find out he had died several years ago, a suicide after a drinking binge that landed him in jail. He was just coming into his own, too, after once being known as "the best unknown guitarist in the world." He hooked up with Alligator and they certainly seemed to give his career a boost. I was surprised too, to find out how many people in the blues field look back to him as being the greatest influence on their music. Made a lot of music too, I don't know how many cuts he made, but I've got 15 CD's and I know that's not all, by quite a few.
Oh, yeah. Opened for him once at the Cabooze in Minneapolis. While he was playing, I was in the green room, and, well, nabbed the butt of the cigar he had been smoking as a souvenir. Still have it, many years later.

Upvote 0

Chrysalis

Filled with gratitude for my King, Jesus
Aug 21, 2004
England
✟15,691.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I remember watching a programme late at night on the BBC which showed Roy and Lonnie Mack and Albert Collins all playing together at Carnegie Hall back in the mid-80's. Seeing and hearing Roy's playing frightened the life out of me. The ferocity of the bends he was playing was unbelievable, I could feel the pain in them and at one point, he was savagely playing the guitar like a bass, with his fingers over the top of the guitar jabbing away at the strings. I have one album of his When A Guitar Plays The Blues and I must confess, I do find it a tad disturbing in places.

Upvote 0