Jul 4, 2004
✟289,128.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you celebrate Rosh Hashanah, how do you and your family do it?
We haven't celebrated it yet, but my wife and I have been interested in it. We understand the significance of the fall feasts, but have usually had a mountain of chaos going on, and they were on us before we had a chance to plan or to study.

How do you celebrate the fall holy days?

Note: the Messianic church that we attended in Florida did an excellent Sukkot celebration. They rented a retreat center for the week and we erected a sukkah, and then we just hung out and fellowshipped for the week with evening campfire type gatherings at the sukkah. It was mostly unstructured and was a great time, and God, as He promised met us there.

Reactions: Frogster
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟809,746.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually the feasts point to Him.

(When the 32" shofar arrived in the mail, the carrier was so curious. Usually he puts the packages on the front steps and zips off. Not that day. He waited until I got to the door which takes a bit. "What in the world did you order? Did you order a giant worm?" he asks. "No, we're learning to celebrate Yahweh's feasts. It's a shofar." Then proceeded to give a brief explanation about what a shofar is and its purposes).

These feasts of The Lord are to be observed forever (Exo 12; Lev 23) and are a shadow of things to come (Col 2:16-17).

We've studied them some. In lieu of celebrating New Year's Day as usual, we opt for Rosh HaShanah. It's about honoring The King of the universe (Psa 47;2) and our Creator (Gen 1:1). The blowing of the shofar reminds us of the ram that was sacrificed instead of Issac (Ex 22), to be ready (Isa 27:13), including thinking of others, etc. Yahweh is also judge (Psa 50:6, Rev 3:5). Though repenting is for anytime, this time of reflection (I John 1:8-9) includes repentance and turning more to Him and understanding His grace, compassion and love even more (II Tim 3:16).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Actually the feasts point to Him.

(When the 32" shofar arrived in the mail, the carrier was so curious. Usually he puts the packages on the front steps and zips off. Not that day. He waited until I got to the door which takes a bit. "What in the world did you order? Did you order a giant worm?" he asks. "No, we're learning to celebrate Yahweh's feasts. It's a shofar." Then proceeded to give a brief explanation about what a shofar is and its purposes).

These feasts of The Lord are to be observed forever (Exo 12; Lev 23) and are a shadow of things to come (Col 2:16-17).

We've studied them some. In lieu of celebrating New Year's Day as usual, we opt for Rosh HaShanah. It's about honoring The King of the universe (Psa 47;2) and our Creator (Gen 1:1). The blowing of the shofar reminds us of the ram that was sacrificed instead of Issac (Ex 22), to be ready (Isa 27:13), including thinking of others, etc. Yahweh is also judge (Psa 50:6, Rev 3:5). Though repenting is for anytime, this time of reflection (I John 1:8-9) includes repentance and turning more to Him and understanding His grace, compassion and love even more (II Tim 3:16).

That's really a cool testimony about the mail carrier. In the Bible Rosh Hashanah is called Yom Teruah, The Day of the Blowing of the Trumpet. For a believer in Jesus as Messiah the blast of the shofar at Rosh Hashanah is a reminder of Jesus' return.
"For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Messiah will rise first" (1Thessalonians 4:16). :clap: What a wonderful day that will be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Historicus

Follower of Jesus Christ
Apr 20, 2005
Ohio
✟62,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

120px-Hatt2.png

Mod Hat On
A clean-up has been done on this thread.
Please remember the following:

Fellowship threads are NOT for debating. It will be considered off-topic.
If you wish to debate a topic, then start another thread.
Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
We haven't celebrated it yet, but my wife and I have been interested in it. We understand the significance of the fall feasts, but have usually had a mountain of chaos going on, and they were on us before we had a chance to plan or to study.

How do you celebrate the fall holy days?

Note: the Messianic church that we attended in Florida did an excellent Sukkot celebration. They rented a retreat center for the week and we erected a sukkah, and then we just hung out and fellowshipped for the week with evening campfire type gatherings at the sukkah. It was mostly unstructured and was a great time, and God, as He promised met us there.

What Messianic church did you attend in Florida? I went to Gesher Shalom in Orlando. I also attended one in Tampa a few times and one in Melbourne before the one in Orlando came...Orlando was much closer. :)

I'm single and as of yet have not really done anything on my own. Also, I work late afternoon to late at night and don't even get to join in much with what my church does. I remember one time a group I was with went to a park and we had the blowing of the shofar and there was lots of apples and honey. I think it would be so fun to do as a family. :)

shofar.gif

Upvote 0

Ajax 777

God is the Truth, not an opinion.
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2005
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What Messianic church did you attend in Florida? I went to Gesher Shalom in Orlando. I also attended one in Tampa a few times and one in Melbourne before the one in Orlando came...Orlando was much closer. :)

I'm single and as of yet have not really done anything on my own. Also, I work late afternoon to late at night and don't even get to join in much with what my church does. I remember one time a group I was with went to a park and we had the blowing of the shofar and there was lots of apples and honey. I think it would be so fun to do as a family. :)

shofar.gif

Where in Orlando is it, Barb? I lived in Lake Buena Vista, then right next to Orlando International on Semoran, and then in Winter Park when I went to Full Sail, a total of about 15 years. I really miss the Big "O" sometimes.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Where in Orlando is it, Barb? I lived in Lake Buena Vista, then right next to Orlando International on Semoran, and then in Winter Park when I went to Full Sail, a total of about 15 years. I really miss the Big "O" sometimes.

1. Congregation Gesher Shalom
  2. Address: 6969 Venture Cir, Orlando, FL 32807
    Phone:(407) 782-6177
I lived in Kissimmee.

I attended Gesher Shalom for about a year or so before I had to move. I helped them with their first Purim Spiel. It was a lot of fun.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟289,128.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

shofar.gif
It was Christian Life Church in Jacksonville. They had been a Baptist church for like a 100 years, then most of them, including the interim pastor got Spirit filled. The longest termed Baptist pastor's son took over as permanent pastor, and they changed the name from the Baptist name. They started moving Messianic after we had moved away, and when we went back to Jacksonville for a few years we went back. They were still Biblically sound and the fellowship was excellent, so we could see a reason to find another church.

We're back in Pennsylvania now.

And I got meet and hear Avi Lipkin speak there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
So, anyone else have any Rosh Hashana insights to post?
Hopefully others will share some more. :D I find the festivals so fun and reflective. Here's a recipe for Honey Baked Chicken...I have not tried it yet but it looks wonderful :yum:

426534.jpg

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
unfortunately I am working this week, however my wife will be leading our regular (sunday) congregation in Rosh HaShannah liturgies.

Traditional foods will be head notably fish and pomegranates as well as apples, honey and other sweet foods.

Did I remember to say wine... lots of wine.

Steve

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I had a friend contact me this morning to come to her Rosh Hashanah Sader on Friday eve (the second night of Rosh Hashanah). I'm looking forward to it and I'll try to get pictures to share with everyone. ^_^

I love the sound of the shofar too Renee. I'm totally sure that is the "trumpet" blast that 1 Cor 15:52 talks about when the Lord returns.

Here's a little funny involving the blowing of the shafar and the Rabbi's dog :)

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
SP, that's great that you've been invited to your friend's home for this special occasion.

Yeah, I enjoy hearing the shofar as well.

It's a solemn and happy time. Solemn in self reflection and rejoicing how He forgives.
Thanks tturt :hug:

Here's another recipe that sounds yummo

Upvote 0