Role Models..

S

StarryEyes

So I already asked this in the Women's Discussion Forum but thought I would ask it here too..

On the way home from a basketball game tonight, I was listening to the radio and they were talking about role models and idols.

According to God's Word, we are not supposed to have Idols! It's one of the 10 Commandments. But I'm having a hard time distinguishing between "idols" and "role models." Is the only role model we have supposed to be Jesus, or is it ok for others to be our role models too. Also, is a role model the same thing as an idol? :help: If any verses come to mind please, please include them!

God bless!

texastig

The diablo is in the phone booth dialing 911
Feb 24, 2007
✟14,230.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Amy, idols are things/people that are worshipped. Role models are people. There are Godly role models such as Jesus and ministers and ungodly role models such as Paris Hilton.
Our identity is supposed to in Christ.
Thanks,
TT

So I already asked this in the Women's Discussion Forum but thought I would ask it here too..

On the way home from a basketball game tonight, I was listening to the radio and they were talking about role models and idols.

According to God's Word, we are not supposed to have Idols! It's one of the 10 Commandments. But I'm having a hard time distinguishing between "idols" and "role models." Is the only role model we have supposed to be Jesus, or is it ok for others to be our role models too. Also, is a role model the same thing as an idol? :help: If any verses come to mind please, please include them!

God bless!

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think that speakers make generalizations and try to squeeze them into short sermons. The idea might have struck him in a certain instance, and he quickly applied idolatry to every admiration.

The Bible itself is a list of role models! It's full of stories of people that were looked up to for their decisions, bravery, and devotion to God. It is open about their mistakes. But you'll even find NT saints quoting OT saints... role models.

I didn't used to believe role models were helpful, but over the years I've found that it can help get a handle on a situation when I hear how someone else dealt with a similar dilemma in a mature and responsible way. I see hope in how people stood their ground when it wasn't comfortable, and came out still respected.

Putting a person's poster on our wall or being a groupie might show a desire to escape our own realities and weaknesses, in a desire to gain off another person's success. People go to hear an expert speak, often because they secretly hope they will get noticed, or because they want a piece of that success, or they want the person's approval. We should notice our motives and straighten them out when they warp.

God is our source. We have some pretty twisted motivations for the things we do, but God wants us to consult Him, lean on Him, and ask for help from Him.

Upvote 0

FenderElctrc

JESUS IS AWESOME!!
Sep 20, 2006
Gotta keep it secret
Visit site
✟17,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus needs to be our top role model. Other people as role models are fine. One of mine would probably have to be Martin Luther King Jr. However, we must test their spirits and always go to God for understanding. Men are sinners and can lie. That is why we must go to scripture and God and compare their word to God's. Even the most obedient, Godly men have the potential to "screw up."

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0