Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My understanding from talking with a ROCOR priest is that it is now simply a matter of a confirming vote by the majority of ROCOR priests, which is supposed to take place some time this fall or winter. Blessed be the Lord!

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wonder what that entails for ROCOR here in America relative to the OCA, since it was Moscow that granted autocephaly to the OCA.

Must ROCOR likewise recognize the autocephalous status of the OCA?

Would that mean that ROCOR would have to be subject to the OCA?

I would be more excited by this if the MP and the OCA were a bit less ecumenical.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maximus said:
I wonder what that entails for ROCOR here in America relative to the OCA, since it was Moscow that granted autocephaly to the OCA.

I would be more excited by this if the MP and the OCA were a bit less ecumenical.

The ROCOR priest told me that being that ROCOR is a world wide church and the OCA is particular to the United States, Canada and Mexico that the two will remain separate.

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maximus said:

Although ideally and logically it might seem that some of this would be a natural conclusion to reconciliation, I would bet 100 dollars that all will just be left alone. The formation of the OCA was highly political and the MP doesn't have much interest in supporting or tearing down the OCA. It's interest is in opening up communion once again with ROCOR. on the lay level and heirarchical level, I'm sure all will be left the same, except that now intercommunion will be allowed. For me, that's enough. I've grown accustomed to messed up jurisdictionalism in the US and, quite frankly, it doesn't bother me one bit.

Oh, and ROCOR certainly won't have to do anything official in regards to recongizingt he OCA (they may, but it doesn't matter). The OCA's autopcephaly isn't recognized officially by the EP but that doesn't heed intercommunion.

John

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What I really want to know is if this means OCA and ROCOR will have intercommunion. I'd love to be able to commune at ROCOR churches without impediment.

In IC XC,
Marjorie

If all of this goes through as we are optimistically hoping for, then yes. This is what it is all about. Hierarchy and other political questions are all secondary for right now.

I agree with you Marjorie. I hope for this too... and I think it is a reasonable hope. Whether this will come to fruition we cannot know. I hold a very guarded optimism.

John

Upvote 0

JMartinka

Jul 3, 2005
Tempe, AZ
✟146.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Others
This is one of the main reasons for me to look into the ROCOR during my present conversion process. To be a part of thhhr Patriarchate of Russia after almost 100 years of seperation this is a very interesting time. It is sad though that there are many who are against this.

Does anyone think that all of thisis premature? That this all may be political? For me these questions don't matter, (maybe cause I am ignorant of it all) but I would choose to follow thewords of Fr. Seraphim Rose:

We must be open rather than closed with regard to the Moscow Patriarchate. The whole question of ecumenism and apostasy cannot be placed simply on the canonical-dogmatic-formal level, but must be viewed first spiritually!
Letters from Father Seraphim, Nikodemos Orthodox Publication Society, Richfield Springs, NY, 2001.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.