Reverend Jeffress preaching at Trump's Inauguration service.

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I just Googled him bc I have a feeling people will knock your OP just bc they're anti CNN bc Trump told them to be. So I found this.
Pastor preaching to Trump on Friday has called Mormon church a 'cult'

Wow, on top of saying that Mormons worship a false God & are a cult, he'd said that voting for Mitt Romney would be voting for Satan. It's gonna be pretty awkward having him there alongside the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry, CNN simply has no credibility.

Pastor Jeffress is in fact a pastor of a large Southern Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas. So, if one has a grudge or bias against the SoBaps, Christians in general, Texans, or anyone willing to be seen in public with the accursed Donald Trump, who was properly and lawfully elected instead of the prophesied Hillary Clinton, then Pastor Jeffress is to be vilified.

Of course, anyone who demands 'tolerance' from others don't have those problems.

As it happens, I have grave and fairly impassible theological differences with both Islam and Mormonism. I have some difficulties with Roman Catholic theology and doctrine. But I don't mention any of them in any given sermon. As a tolerant person, I am willing to hear what he has to say before I comment on his ability as a pastor.

Reactions: bill5
Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This line stuck out to me from the CNN article:

The pastor has also said that Mormons, Muslims and Hindus "worship a false god."

Sounds like a normal Christian preacher. So what kind of preacher would you prefer at this service?

Upvote 0

Mrs.PGL

Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2015
windsor ontario
✟69,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just Googled him bc I have a feeling people will knock your OP just bc they're anti CNN bc Trump told them to be. So I found this.
Pastor preaching to Trump on Friday has called Mormon church a 'cult'

Wow, on top of saying that Mormons worship a false God & are a cult, he'd said that voting for Mitt Romney would be voting for Satan. It's gonna be pretty awkward having him there alongside the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
they are a cult.
1 John 2:22 ESV / 5 helpful votes
Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son.

John 5:18 This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God."
Mormons deny that.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
This line stuck out to me from the CNN article:

Sounds like a normal Christian preacher. So what kind of preacher would you prefer at this service?
One that wasn't anti Catholic, and perhaps one that was more of a unifier. Trump, after all, should represent Protestants, Catholics, Mormons, Muslims, Jews, Pagans, athiests and agnostics, and everyone else who is American, equally. This choice doesn't send that message.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One that wasn't anti Catholic, and perhaps one that was more of a unifier. Trump, after all, should represent Protestants, Catholics, Mormons, Muslims, Jews, Pagans, athiests and agnostics, and everyone else who is American, equally. This choice doesn't send that message.

Hypothetically speaking, can a president represent non Christians while simultaneously believing that they're going to hell?

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I wonder, EastcoastRemnant, do you consider this fake news because you know, in fact, that he won't be preaching, or is it because you're claiming he hasn't said those inflammatory things about Catholics and those of other faiths....in other words, what makes this story false?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I had to pop in when I saw Jeffress' name in the sidebar. And yup, same pastor. I visited his church once (not a good fit, I was just a farm wife, riding the elevator with well-dressed senators and people of influence ... who managed to work those contacts into a few moments' of elevator-waiting conversation. Not that I'm against rich, important people, or huge new multi-million dollar campuses, but ... like I said, not a good fit. Because I'm also not impressed by them, and generally I think I'm expected to be. ;)

And I was hardly Baptist anymore by that time. But in spite of that, I used to listen to Jeffress on the radio pretty often. Most of his sermons were really quite good. And for me to praise sermons given by someone who had (at the time) some foundationally different beliefs usually means they are very good pastors, in some sense. There are still a handful from various denominations I am quite fond of, though I don't really listen anymore.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hypothetically speaking, can a president represent non Christians while simultaneously believing that they're going to hell?
That's a good question. .do you think that Trump believes Catholics and Mormons are going to hell? Those are two of the faiths Jeffress has targeted.

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's a good question. .do you think that Trump believes Catholics and Mormons are going to hell? Those are two of the faiths Jeffress has targeted.

No I don't think that Trump is a genuine believer in Christ in any meaningful sense.

But I think anyone preaching the Bible ought to believe it. And believing it would exclude non-Christian religions from salvation.

*for the record I consider the Roman Church to be within Christianity*

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Jeffress on Catholicism " Similarly, Jeffress calls the Catholic church a result of “the Babylonian mystery religion” found in the Book of Revelation, and says the Catholic Church represents “the genius of Satan.”

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jeffress on Catholicism " Similarly, Jeffress calls the Catholic church a result of “the Babylonian mystery religion” found in the Book of Revelation, and says the Catholic Church represents “the genius of Satan.”

:(

• Agree
Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
No I don't think that Trump is a genuine believer in Christ in any meaningful sense.

But I think anyone preaching the Bible ought to believe it. And believing it would exclude non-Christian religions from salvation.

*for the record I consider the Roman Church to be within Christianity*
I think if your religion teaches that all people who believe different than you are deserving of eternal torture no matter the life they led, and you sincerely believe that, then maybe you aren't the best person to lead a country of citizens of diverse beliefs.

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think if your religion teaches that all people when believe different my than you are deserving of eternal torture no matter the life they led, and you sincerely believe that, then maybe you aren't the best person to lead a country of citizens of diverse beliefs.

Then you do not think that a Bible believing Christian should ever be POTUS.

Thankfully you're just one vote!

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
This choice doesn't send that message.
NO. CNN says this choice doesn't sent that message. And that sketchy conclusion is echoed by all those who are still having a fit over President Elect Trump win.

Upvote 0