Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,901.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am seeking examples in Scripture where God the Father or God the Son makes a REQUEST of any created being.

I have found none yet.

I have often heard preachers’ exhortations to do what God/Jesus asks of us. But, thus far, I have only found, in Scripture, what God REQUIRES of us.

Reactions: Soyeong

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I am seeking examples in Scripture where God the Father or God the Son makes a REQUEST of any created being.

I have found none yet.

I have often heard preachers’ exhortations to do what God/Jesus asks of us. But, thus far, I have only found, in Scripture, what God REQUIRES of us.
There are a number of examples in Scripture like Genesis 6:8-22, where God instructs someone to do something and then it later refers to them doing all that God commanded them, so generally what He instructs are commands rather than requests, though I have heard of people who take the position that God wanting Abraham to offer Isaac was a request rather than a command.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How do you classify the various things that Jesus says to the people around him? "Go, show yourself to the priest." "Put out into deep water and let down your nets for a catch." "Give me a drink." "Fill the jars with water." These are telling people to do something, but I don't hear it in a tone of voice that says "I, your Imperial Master, command you."

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have found none yet.

You'll need to define what you mean by "request "as there are tons of examples of God asking for many things from man. Most importantly, obedience. Blessings.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I have found none yet.

John 14:13 KJV
13. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I have found none yet.

If you are required to do something, you have no choice. (We have choice)
If you are requested to do something, you are being asked to do it.

God doesn't force our choices or make them for us. He does let us know that there are consequences/effects/outcomes for the choices we make and also to pay attention to what motivates us when making choices (using wise reasoning)

Request

Can mean need ..... God is not needy .... we are. Can also mean required.

His only requirement (if you want to call it that) is to make decisions/choices ... He created all His intelligent beings that way ... it's a requirement He placed in all His created intelligent beings .... necessary for totally free choices but not without reasons (thinking). Without the guidance from the Lord our thinking is off and often we make unwise decisions.

Candidly .... I gave you a brain ... use it wisely (wisdom) and wisdom comes from ME.

Proverbs 1:2-9
English Standard Version

2 To know wisdom and instruction,
to understand words of insight,
3 to receive instruction in wise dealing,
in righteousness, justice, and equity;
4 to give prudence to the simple,
knowledge and discretion to the youth—
5 Let the wise hear and increase in learning,
and the one who understands obtain guidance,
6 to understand a proverb and a saying,
the words of the wise and their riddles.
7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
fools despise wisdom and instruction.

A lot more to the Lord than picking out a couple of words, their definitions and how they may be used.

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,901.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There are a number of examples in Scripture like Genesis 6:8-22, where God instructs someone to do something and then it later refers to them doing all that God commanded them, so generally what He instructs are commands rather than requests, though I have heard of people who take the position that God wanting Abraham to offer Isaac was a request rather than a command.
Each example provided is a command.

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,901.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You'll need to define what you mean by "request "as there are tons of examples of God asking for many things from man. Most importantly, obedience. Blessings.
Today we would indicate a request with a “please.” Or we might ask if another person WOULD do this or that. In the NT a question may be indicated by “I pray thee.” A request is a question in some form - made clear either by punctuation or by choice of terminology.

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,901.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
How do you classify the various things that Jesus says to the people around him? "Go, show yourself to the priest." "Put out into deep water and let down your nets for a catch." "Give me a drink." "Fill the jars with water." These are telling people to do something, but I don't hear it in a tone of voice that says "I, your Imperial Master, command you."
I am not asserting that harshness is involved. I simply haven’t found God or Jesus making any request of any creator. Commands can be given harshly. But they can often be in a gentle voice. But whatever the tone, a command is either obeyed or disobeyed. Fundamentally, those are the only two choices available to the one being commanded.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,901.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you are required to do something, you have no choice. (We have choice)
If you are requested to do something, you are being asked to do it.

God doesn't force our choices or make them for us. He does let us know that there are consequences/effects/outcomes for the choices we make and also to pay attention to what motivates us when making choices (using wise reasoning)

Request

Can mean need ..... God is not needy .... we are. Can also mean required.

His only requirement (if you want to call it that) is to make decisions/choices ... He created all His intelligent beings that way ... it's a requirement He placed in all His created intelligent beings .... necessary for totally free choices but not without reasons (thinking). Without the guidance from the Lord our thinking is off and often we make unwise decisions.

Candidly .... I gave you a brain ... use it wisely (wisdom) and wisdom comes from ME.

Proverbs 1:2-9

English Standard Version

2 To know wisdom and instruction,
to understand words of insight,
3 to receive instruction in wise dealing,
in righteousness, justice, and equity;
4 to give prudence to the simple,
knowledge and discretion to the youth—
5 Let the wise hear and increase in learning,
and the one who understands obtain guidance,
6 to understand a proverb and a saying,
the words of the wise and their riddles.
7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
fools despise wisdom and instruction.

A lot more to the Lord than picking out a couple of words, their definitions and how they may be used.
If it is true (if) that God the Father and God the Son speak to men only by men’s of instruction and commands (I.e., no requests) that would have no implication regarding the freedom of man’s will. Every man is always free to choose what he desires most at the time he makes his choice. This is true when a man is commanded by God. God commanded the Israelites (required of the Israelites) that they were to have no other gods. Some exercised their choice and disobeyed. Some chose to obey.

I am simply looking for any examples where God or Jesus petition a creature.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Instruction. Neither a request nor a command.
Ah, but the purpose of the statement is for God be glorified by your voluntary action.

John 14:13 KJV
13. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

There is a benefit for God, and you do not have to do this. It is actually a request.

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,901.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ah, but the purpose of the statement is for God be glorified by your voluntary action . . .

There is a benefit for God, and you do not have to do this. It is actually a request.
I am sorry, but there is no logic supporting your conclusion.

Upvote 0