Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,730.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
by my GodPapa

This has been posted elsewhere , but we are trying to get a translation of a prayer .

A bit of comparative liturgics has revealed the prayer for the blessing of palms used by the Old Ritualists is not the same one used by the Greeks and 'Nikonians'. But... the Old Ritualists' prayer is included as an additional prayer in the Trebnyks published by the UGCC and UOC-KP (the latter came as a surprise).

Does anyone have an English translation of this prayer? Of the English language texts printed by the Ukrainians in my library, this prayer is missing. The prayer in question is as follows (in Ukrainian):

Господи Боже Вседержителю, Ти показав образ Церкви через образ ковчега при праведникові й угодникові Ноєві, провіщаючи пришестя Пресвятого Духа через голуба, що приніс оливну галузку. Цей образ завершили діти юдейські, зустрічаючи Тебе з віттям оливним і пальмовими галузками, викликуючи Тобі: осанна в вишніх, благословен, хто йде в ім’я Господнє. Сам, Господи, Ісусе Христе, Боже наш, що благословив нарід, який зустрічав Тебе з віттям, благослови та освяти і галузки ці, щоб усі, хто приймають їх, прийняли покров для душі своєї й тіла, щоб стало це віття ліком для нашого спасення й тайною Твоєї благодати; щоб усюди, де будуть покладені, Твоє благословення отримали ті що там живуть; Ти ж, прогнавши всяку противну силу, покрий своєю правицею тих, кого викупив Ти своєю чесною Кров’ю, — щоб ми всі согласно взивали Тобі: осанна в вишніх, благословен Ти, що йдеш судити правдою.
Бо Тобі належить усяка слава, честь і поклонення, з безначальним Твоїм Отцем, і пресвятим, благим і животворящим Твоїм Духом, нині і повсякчас і на віки віків.

Any help would really be welcome - I would prefer that he's not bald and beardless by Lazarus Saturday/ Palm Sunday - at present he's threatening to pull his hair out over this .

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not perfect, but google translate:

Lord God Almighty , You showed the image of the Church through the image of the ark with Noah, a righteous man and saints , foretelling the coming of the Holy Spirit by a dove brought Olives tree. This image is completed Jewish children , meeting you with Witte Olives and palm branches, and crying to thee , Hosanna in the highest , blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. Himself , Lord Jesus Christ our God, who blessed the people that you met with Witt, bless and sanctify these branches and to all those who take them , took the veil for his soul and body, that was it branches cure for our salvation and the mystery of Thy grace , to wherever will be laid, thy blessed as those who live there , thou, prohnavshy any nasty power in his right hand and cover those who hast redeemed his honest blood - that we all cried According to You: Hosanna in the highest , blessed are you, what are you going to judge the truth.
For You belong all glory, honor and worship , with Infinite Thy Father , most holy , good and life-giving Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,730.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thanks Rob - but as he's bi-lingual I suspect he can make an excellent job of a translation - it's just that our Eparch likes 'official' stuff :( And this particular one doesn't seem to be anywhere that he can find.

And the lack of it is preventing him finishing the bilingual version of the Service ! It's all done apart from this one prayer .

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,695.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Its quite possible that an official English translation hasn't been done of that particular prayer. I have English translations of most of the Greek prayers we use but there are still a few that I have yet to find. Could be that a translation of the prayer by your godpapa might become the defacto official translation.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,730.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The problem is - that's where he's been looking :( [ he's bilingual fortunately ]

<<Do any of you know where I can find and English translation of the prayer in blue in the attached document? The prayer is found in our Trebnyk and that of the UOC-KP, but not anywhere else (haven't check the Old Believers). Even the one English text I have for the blessing which is in a 'Ukrainian' book doesn't include this prayer.>>

and he followed that up with <<I've checked my Old Believer books. The prayer I'm trying to find in English, which I've seen only in our, and the UOC-KP, Trebnyks as an additional prayer, is the only prayer for the blessing of palms found in the OB 'Flowery Triodion'/Pentecostarion.>>

And yes - as you have probably gathered he is very very fond of 'Old Believer' texts.

He will be contacting Fr Pimen in Erie - but doesn't actually know him so was waiting fro a few days first , just in case anyone can come up with it

Upvote 0

ma2000

Veteran
Feb 8, 2007
Romania
✟14,125.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Looks like this one, but a bit different:
http://www.metropolitancantorinstitute.org/sheetmusic/general/PalmSundayDivineLiturgyComplete.pdf

Master, Almighty Lord, God of our fathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and of their just offspring, you were foretold of old by the ark which was the symbol of the Church for the just Noah. The coming of the Holy Spirit was proclaimed to him by a dove carrying in its beak a fresh olive branch. On the fourth day you raised your friend Lazarus, hastening him from death by calling, &#8220;Lazarus, come forth!&#8221; He returned to life as an image of your resurrection and all were amazed to see this. We pray you, O Master, Lover of us all, return us to life from our death in sin, and be pleased to grant us eternal life and to be deemed worthy of your kingdom from on high, for you are our resurrection. With this image you perfected the Jewish children, who carried palms and boughs and olive branches, shouting and crying our, &#8220;Hosanna in the highest, O Son of God, blessed are you who come to judge the whole world, O just Judge, Christ our God.&#8221; For you are blessed and glorified with the Father and the Holy Spirit, now and ever and forever

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,730.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It does indeed - we still have a few feelers out and are waiting to see what comes back before a decision about the translation is needed .

This is really the problem when you have to do bilingual Services - some very clever person will always issue a challenge - but won't help finding things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums