Report: Pope Francis Plans to Remove Cardinal Burke’s Salary and Vatican Apartment Over Perceived Church ‘Disunity’

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The US cardinal has yet to be informed by the Holy See.

VATICAN CITY — Multiple sources are reporting that Pope Francis is planning on withdrawing Cardinal Raymond Burke’s Rome residence and salary because he sees him as working against the unity of the Church, although the Vatican has yet to officially announce such a step.

Several sources told the Register that they had been informed that during a meeting with the heads of Dicasteries of the Roman Curia on Nov. 20, the Pope reportedly said that he was considering withdrawing such privileges from Cardinal Burke because he believed he was “working against the Church and against the unity of the Church.”

The alleged comments were first reported Monday by the New Daily Compass, an Italian Catholic online news site.

Variations of the Pope’s remarks were then reported by both Reuters and the Associated Press, the latter quoting “two people briefed on the measures.” One source, who was a participant at the Nov. 20 meeting, told the AP that the Pope was taking the action because he viewed the cardinal as a source of “disunity” in the Church. Citing another anonymous source, the AP said Francis was removing Cardinal Burke’s privileges of a subsidized Vatican apartment and salary as a retired cardinal “because he was using the privileges against the Church.”

Riccardo Cascioli, director of the New Daily Compass, told the Register Nov. 28 he is “certain” of the veracity of his report as it came to him from several “reliable sources.” Cascioli added that after he had published the story, he received “a further confirmation.”

The Register contacted Cardinal Burke’s office; a representative said the American cardinal, who is currently visiting the United States, had not received any official communication about the matter. His secretary also said the cardinal would not be making a statement at this time.

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The US cardinal has yet to be informed by the Holy See.

VATICAN CITY — Multiple sources are reporting that Pope Francis is planning on withdrawing Cardinal Raymond Burke’s Rome residence and salary because he sees him as working against the unity of the Church, although the Vatican has yet to officially announce such a step.

Several sources told the Register that they had been informed that during a meeting with the heads of Dicasteries of the Roman Curia on Nov. 20, the Pope reportedly said that he was considering withdrawing such privileges from Cardinal Burke because he believed he was “working against the Church and against the unity of the Church.”

The alleged comments were first reported Monday by the New Daily Compass, an Italian Catholic online news site.

Variations of the Pope’s remarks were then reported by both Reuters and the Associated Press, the latter quoting “two people briefed on the measures.” One source, who was a participant at the Nov. 20 meeting, told the AP that the Pope was taking the action because he viewed the cardinal as a source of “disunity” in the Church. Citing another anonymous source, the AP said Francis was removing Cardinal Burke’s privileges of a subsidized Vatican apartment and salary as a retired cardinal “because he was using the privileges against the Church.”

Riccardo Cascioli, director of the New Daily Compass, told the Register Nov. 28 he is “certain” of the veracity of his report as it came to him from several “reliable sources.” Cascioli added that after he had published the story, he received “a further confirmation.”

The Register contacted Cardinal Burke’s office; a representative said the American cardinal, who is currently visiting the United States, had not received any official communication about the matter. His secretary also said the cardinal would not be making a statement at this time.

Continued below.
Cancelled priests, cancelled bishops, cancelled cardinals. Oh well.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cancelled priests, cancelled bishops, cancelled cardinals. Oh well.
Very odd. Yet the ones that go against the teachings of the Church remain. I don’t get it.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I really don't understand why Pope Francis seems to be so against orthodox priests, bishops, and cardinals. It's really saddening and confusing to me.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I really don't understand why Pope Francis seems to be so against orthodox priests, bishops, and cardinals. It's really saddening and confusing to me.
You are definitely not alone. :praying:

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You are definitely not alone. :praying:
And here is the thing. As pope Francis's health declines I predict the rate of change in tweaking the cardinalate will increase. I look for marginalizing of conservative cardinals, maybe a rules change for the next conclave, and maybe a last minute naming of a few more cardinals to insure that the next pope is called Francis II.

But it could backfire. There are a lot of cardinals who were chosen for geographical reasons that might not be ideological purists. One can hope. They might be persuaded to elect a conservative if the mess of pope Francis is just too much. Marginalizing cardinal Burke might be just a step too far. If he marginalizes more cardinals that WILL be several steps too far.

I get the feeling we are in the wrap-up to the Francis papacy. My seat belt is on and I've snugged it up tight. Still when you see the accident coming there is so little time to actually react. Then bam! If only I had reacted this way instead of that way when I saw the other car swerve. So maybe it's best to be all prayed up before even going down that road. Not the time to let your prayer life slide. You know who I'm talking to.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From the article "although the Vatican has yet to officially announce such a step."

Until the Vatican announces it, it hasn't happened.

Besides, Cardinal Burke gets income from "Support for Retired Priests," Social Security, and housing
here in the United States. It's not like he lives in poverty. Also, when he travels to Rome, he can get
a Hotel Room and pay for it himself, like Jorge Mario Bergoglio did on the day he was elected Pope.

It's high time that the leaders of the Church stop living a life of luxury off the backs of the faithful.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pope Francis has sparked a backlash after reportedly punishing Cardinal Raymond Burke, a conservative American and one of his most outspoken critics, by revoking his right to a subsidized Vatican apartment and salary.

Francis told the heads of Vatican offices in a meeting on November 20 that he intended to evict Burke and deprive him of his salary as a retired cardinal because he was a source of “disunity” in the church, The Associated Press reported, citing an unnamed official who attended the meeting. Another official told the AP that Francis said he was removing Burke’s privileges because he was using them against the church.

Francis’ decision, first reported by the conservative Italian newspaper La Nuova Bussola Quotidiana, is the second time this month that the pope has taken action against a vocal conservative critic.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
From the article "although the Vatican has yet to officially announce such a step."

Until the Vatican announces it, it hasn't happened.

Besides, Cardinal Burke gets income from "Support for Retired Priests," Social Security, and housing
here in the United States. It's not like he lives in poverty. Also, when he travels to Rome, he can get
a Hotel Room and pay for it himself, like Jorge Mario Bergoglio did on the day he was elected Pope.

It's high time that the leaders of the Church stop living a life of luxury off the backs of the faithful.
Does he get Social Security? Many dioceses never paid in to Social Security for their priests. Thus priests in many dioceses do not get Social Security. Do you know for sure whether cardinal Burke does or does not get Social Security?

As to ‘housing’ what is that for cardinal Burke? Is this in St. Louis here he is no longer incardinated? Or is it some sort of government thing? I don’t get housing from the government. Does he? Or which diocese does he get housing from? Does he get housing from the Knights of Malta? Evidence?

I think you presume he is stinking rich. Well, maybe. Or not. I would not presume he is stinking rich without evidence. In fact the stipend from the Vatican for cardinals is because they generally are not stinking rich.

Sounds like you have an ideological dislike of cardinal Burke and that colors your opinion of him. Sounds like pope Francis has an angry opinion of cardinal Burke too. An ‘enemy’? I wish I had enemies as gracious and kind as cardinal Burke.

Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like you have an ideological dislike of cardinal Burke and that colors your opinion of him.
This could be true, but it could also be true that many of Pope Francis's accusers have an ideological dislike of the pope and that colors their opinions of him.

For example, automatically believing a rumor from an "unnamed Vatican source" (e.g. the tooth fairy) that Pope Francis said "Cardinal Burke is my enemy, so I take away his apartment and his salary.”

The statement is so comically fabricated. It is amusing to me that anyone believes that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This could be true, but it could also be true that many of Pope Francis's accusers have an ideological dislike of the pope and that colors their opinions of him.

For example, automatically believing a rumor from an "unnamed Vatican source" (e.g. the tooth fairy) that Pope Francis said "Cardinal Burke is my enemy, so I take away his apartment and his salary.”

The statement is so comically fabricated. It is amusing to me that anyone believes that.
I wouldn't really have believed the whole thing except that the story has been substantially confirmed by Austin Iverleigh in everything except the exact words used by the pope.

Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't really have believed the whole thing except that the story has been substantially confirmed by Austin Iverleigh in everything except the exact words used by the pope.
OK. So is Austin Iverleigh trustworthy when he wrote the following?
According to the La Nuova Bussola Quotidian’s unnamed Vatican source, Pope Francis told the meeting of Vatican department heads on Nov. 20: “Cardinal Burke is my enemy, so I take away his apartment and his salary.”​
In his web post, Ivereigh wrote that he doubted the veracity of that report, saying: “I knew this quote was pure fiction. Pope Francis would never conduct a personal vendetta. It was conveniently in line with the traditionalist narrative of a merciless, vindictive pope who recklessly and unreasonably ‘punishes’ those who disagree with him.”
Ivereigh said he “wrote Pope Francis a note alerting him to this quote and offering to correct it with the truth as he had put it to me” and received a clear denial from the Holy Father.​
“On Tuesday evening I had a note back from the Pope. ‘I never used the word “enemy” nor the pronoun “my.” I simply announced the fact at the meeting of the dicastery heads, without giving specific explanations,’” Ivereigh wrote.​

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I get the feeling we are in the wrap-up to the Francis papacy.

A popular Canadian Catholic podcaster put out a short video on this today. Says he believes the pope is 'close to death'. He does not base this statement on any specific information, but rather, on the pope's current 'housescleaning' behavior that we are seeing (ie., Strickland, Burke).

He sees the pope as being in 'liquidation' mode, like a business liquidates before it goes out of business.
He believes the pope knows he's 'going out of business' soon, and wants to now 'clear the shelves' ...

Given Pope Francis' age and many health issues, I think it's realistic to think he may not be pope much longer ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Does he get Social Security? Many dioceses never paid in to Social Security for their priests. Thus priests in many dioceses do not get Social Security. Do you know for sure whether cardinal Burke does or does not get Social Security?

As to ‘housing’ what is that for cardinal Burke? Is this in St. Louis here he is no longer incardinated? Or is it some sort of government thing? I don’t get housing from the government. Does he? Or which diocese does he get housing from? Does he get housing from the Knights of Malta? Evidence?

I think you presume he is stinking rich. Well, maybe. Or not. I would not presume he is stinking rich without evidence. In fact the stipend from the Vatican for cardinals is because they generally are not stinking rich.

Sounds like you have an ideological dislike of cardinal Burke and that colors your opinion of him. Sounds like pope Francis has an angry opinion of cardinal Burke too. An ‘enemy’? I wish I had enemies as gracious and kind as cardinal Burke.
All priest paid into SS and get retirement benefits. Priest also get housing benefits in their retirement, especially Bishops and Cardinals.

Only those in religious orders take vows of poverty. Diocesan priests, do not.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
All priest paid into SS and get retirement benefits.
I know for a fact that is not true. It depends on the diocese.
Priest also get housing benefits in their retirement, especially Bishops and Cardinals.
From where? Their diocese? Which diocese would cardinal Burke get housing from?
Only those in religious orders take vows of poverty. Diocesan priests, do not.
So are diocesan priests filthy rich? I've seen what some of them make and it's not much. Not destitute but barely middle class for most of them.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A popular Canadian Catholic podcaster put out a short video on this today. Says he believes the pope is 'close to death'. He does not base this statement on any specific information, but rather, on the pope's current 'housescleaning' behavior that we are seeing (ie., Strickland, Burke).

He sees the pope as being in 'liquidation' mode, like a business liquidates before it goes out of business.
He believes the pope knows he's 'going out of business' soon, and wants to now 'clear the shelves' ...

Given Pope Francis' age and many health issues, I think it's realistic to think he may not be pope much longer ...
Perhaps. Liquidation mode might explain a lot. But then pope emeritus Benedict surprised us all and himself by lasting another decade.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
OK. So is Austin Iverleigh trustworthy when he wrote the following?
According to the La Nuova Bussola Quotidian’s unnamed Vatican source, Pope Francis told the meeting of Vatican department heads on Nov. 20: “Cardinal Burke is my enemy, so I take away his apartment and his salary.”​
In his web post, Ivereigh wrote that he doubted the veracity of that report, saying: “I knew this quote was pure fiction. Pope Francis would never conduct a personal vendetta. It was conveniently in line with the traditionalist narrative of a merciless, vindictive pope who recklessly and unreasonably ‘punishes’ those who disagree with him.”
Ivereigh said he “wrote Pope Francis a note alerting him to this quote and offering to correct it with the truth as he had put it to me” and received a clear denial from the Holy Father.​
“On Tuesday evening I had a note back from the Pope. ‘I never used the word “enemy” nor the pronoun “my.” I simply announced the fact at the meeting of the dicastery heads, without giving specific explanations,’” Ivereigh wrote.​
I'm not claiming Austin Iverleigh is highly trustworthy. But he is a vocal apologist for pope Francis. I would trust him to put the spin on anything that pope Francis did that was questionable. So I actually expected him to deny the whole story about marginalizing cardinal Burke. Instead he only said pope Francis didn't use those exact words. While agreeing with the broader substance of marginalizing cardinal Burke. Now I don't necessarily trust Iverleigh's denial of the ipsissima verbi of the pope, but he did collaborate the main story. Iverleigh's non-denial of that was all the take home confirmation I needed.

Upvote 0