Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
From what I understand, it means to "FEEL sorry" and not to actually SAY (speak, utter, etc) the WORD, "sorry." It also means to "turn away" from your sins.

So I have two questions:

1.) Is there anything else to the word repent that I haven't covered?

2.) Is there any place in the bible that says that you need to literally SAY, "sorry?" Not talking about the technical definition above where it states to "feel sorry", but rather any verse that states that you need to say it.

Thanks!

As others have pointed out, the word we translate as "to repent" in the New Testament does NOT mean "to feel sorry". That is, perhaps, synonymous with the English word, but not with the Greek - metanoia.

There is a good English definition of repentance-metanoia in the English translation of the Greek Philokalia (Palmer and Palmer, 1979):

Repentance (μετάνοια - metanoia): the Greek signifies primarily a 'change of mind [dianoia]' or 'change of intellect [nous]'; not only sorrow, contrition or regret, but more positively and fundamentally the conversion or turning of our whole life towards God.
Because we are turned away from God continuously by the world, ourselves, and our sinful nature, we must always be turning back. Hence, repentance is ongoing throughout our lives and not a one-time event.

Upvote 0