Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For me, it comes from having read the New Testament from front to back several times and having paid attention in church - many important lessons come from key Scriptures, which are hit again and again. I started when I was a child and I was getting results then, you can do it too.

Upvote 0

Spunkn

Jan 19, 2013
Nebraska
✟19,890.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On the forums here, it's pretty safe to assume people are just googling it most of the time, not always though.

I still have a few verses from growing up in Awana and youth group.

Some people are just good at memorizing those things though.

Start small. Pick a verse you like and memorize it. Maybe try for 1 or 2 verses a week that you really like. Then gradually add a few more. Just take small steps at a time. Eventually you'll become pretty familiar with a lot of verses.

I like to add in hand motions when I'm memorizing a verse, helps me remember it better.

Upvote 0
B

Bible2

lenamuo said in post 1:

Do you memorise the Bible or you know where to look for the verse you want?

There is no need to try to memorize the whole Bible, in the sense of focusing on just one verse at a time and trying to remember every word of it, and its chapter and verse numbers, so you can quote them perfectly from memory any time you want to. Instead, focus instead on simply reading every verse of the Bible (Matthew 4:4) over and over, and over again, until just naturally, after years of diligently (and systematically) reading the Bible every day, every verse of the Bible will become engrained in your memory, not in the sense of word for word, but in the sense of key words and ideas. Then, whenever you want to locate the chapter and verse numbers of a verse that you are thinking of, simply search for one of its key words in a Bible software program that lets you search for all the verses in the Bible with that key word.

One way to read every verse in the Bible is to think of it as seven volumes:

1. Genesis to Deuteronomy
2. Joshua to Esther
3. Job to Song of Solomon
4. Isaiah to Malachi
5. Matthew to Acts
6. Romans to Philemon
7. Hebrews to Revelation

You can read a chapter in each volume every day. This will keep you current in every part of the Bible. After a while, there won't be any part you haven't read recently enough to remember what it says. When you reach the end of a volume, simply start again at the first chapter of that volume. In this way, you will be cycling through smaller volumes like #6 and #7 much more often than larger volumes like #2, but the smaller volumes are so much more dense with doctrine, it can be profitable to read them over and over more often.

Also, you can listen to recordings of people reading the Bible, whenever you need to keep your eyes on something else while you listen (such as keeping your eyes on the road while you drive, or on a cutting board while you're preparing food, or on your clippers while you're trimming a hedge). In this way, you can listen to the Bible throughout the day, whenever you don't need to be thinking about something else (such as at your workplace). Also, you can listen to the Bible even while you're going to sleep, so that it will become part of even your subconscious mind.

Upvote 0

Shulamite7

Jul 13, 2012
✟15,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Knowing the Word helps. But like everyone else said you can google and find out. I would advise you and everyone to study the Word as we are in the last days and soon the Bible will be snatched away from us. Memorize atleast a few verses each day because the Word of God is our daily bread and we cannot survive without it. Also if you know your Word then it will shield you and protect you from being deceived by wolves in sheep's clothing.

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As a youth I attended a church where Bible passages were the core of Sunday school lessons. I also read the Bible at home, and continued to read it even when as an adult I moved away from the locale where I had grown up. As well, I had the good fortune to have friends in the 'real world' who also read the Bible, and with whom I could discuss its passages in an adult manner.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I really stink at memorizing, but verses will pop into my head, and then I do a word search for them in Studylight.
Years ago most of the contemporary Christian songs were scriptures, so some of what I know is from singing. Also, God brings things to mind.

You might get a head start by finding an organized collection of verses, like the promise books that are grouped by category (humility, prayer, God's protection, etc.).

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me, it's not so much a matter of remembering the exact text, or even the chapter and verse. But often times an application of something I read will pop into my mind... just enough to do a Google search to get the verse.

Here's an example. When someone is worried about how they imagine Heaven, I might think, "isn't there a passage that says that no eye has seen and no human mind has imagined what God has prepared for us?" So I Google "no eye has seen" or "eye has not seen", and the first result is the quote I was looking for from 1 Corinthians 2:9.

The more we read the Bible, the more these things will come to mind. The great thing about the Internet is that we can quickly find the chapter and verse. So no need to stress about memorization! Some people find that it does help them, but it isn't necessary. I also started keeping a list of favorite passages - and that helps too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,931,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
For me it's a combination of memorization and using Logos Bible Software. To work quickly and efficiently in Logos does require a pretty good knowledge of what the Bible says, so reading through it and studying it is essential.

Google is also good. If all else fails, it's amazing how much can be found by using their search engine.

If you'd like to begin to memorize Scripture (which I highly recommend), the Navigators have a great Scripture Memory System that will help you get started. BTW, this memory system is also part of the Navigators 2:7 Bible Study, so if your church happens to offer that study, you might want to sign up (as it's always easier to memorize Scripture with a friend or group to keep you on track).

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - I also want to add that if you are aurally attuned, listening to the Bible on CD/DVD can be an excellent way to get to know it. I particularly like the "dramatized" versions with multiple voices, music, and sounds like ox cart wheels rolling by, etc., to help set the scene.

Listening to teachers who teach the Bible exegetically or topically on the radio or online can also be a great way to learn the Bible. I recommend these three pastors and/or theologians as a great place to start. Along with their daily radio broadcasts, all three have audio and video libraries you can access for free and listen to any number of subjects they preached on in the past.

Renewing Your Mind with Dr. RC Sproul
Grace To You with Dr. John MacArthur
Insight for Living with Dr. Chuck Swindoll

Last edited:
Upvote 0