Missouri
✟15,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Nr, I tried to help you a bit with this question in the other thread. I am "new" to this so these are really just my opinions.

For me, I knew of god but rarely spoke to him. Now, I pray daily and often. I pray for people and sometimes just forge a quick question in my mind. I seek out his guidance is most everything, even if its a quick thought in my mind during the day at work.

When I recently had an idea (see my thread about my idea) I did not take credit for the idea, I knew the idea had come from God and therefore he wants me to go through with it.

I guess its the difference between knowing about him, and knowing or seeking to know him more.

I think to, that everyones idea of that relationship is different. You just have to feel it in your heart i suppose.

Hope that helps, like I said, Im new and am definately not a guru :)

Upvote 0

jehoiakim

Servant
Jun 24, 2011
New Jersey
✟17,202.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
simple question, complex answer. It think I'd want to ask a lot more questions of that person, it could be doubt although I suspect you are correct that they either don't have a relationship with God or they are young and immature in their beliefs. I think you need to probe deeper because it does sound however that this person might be open to having a relationship with God but is just confused

Upvote 0

NR90

Jan 11, 2011
✟15,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
jehoiakim said:
simple question, complex answer. It think I'd want to ask a lot more questions of that person, it could be doubt although I suspect you are correct that they either don't have a relationship with God or they are young and immature in their beliefs. I think you need to probe deeper because it does sound however that this person might be open to having a relationship with God but is just confused

I'm talking about me here haha.

Upvote 0

NR90

Jan 11, 2011
✟15,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LovintheLord74 said:
Nr, I tried to help you a bit with this question in the other thread. I am "new" to this so these are really just my opinions.

For me, I knew of god but rarely spoke to him. Now, I pray daily and often. I pray for people and sometimes just forge a quick question in my mind. I seek out his guidance is most everything, even if its a quick thought in my mind during the day at work.

When I recently had an idea (see my thread about my idea) I did not take credit for the idea, I knew the idea had come from God and therefore he wants me to go through with it.

I guess its the difference between knowing about him, and knowing or seeking to know him more.

I think to, that everyones idea of that relationship is different. You just have to feel it in your heart i suppose.

Hope that helps, like I said, Im new and am definately not a guru :)

I figured I would answer your question in the other thread here.

Simple put, I don't know why I doubt sometimes. I think it's usually after I read things or hear things or just think to much.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi nr,

I'm with lovnthelord. I believe anyone with a real relationship with God or the Lord is most evident by our prayer life. However, prayer life isn't just those tiimes that you sit down quietly in the morning or evening and fold your hands and close your eyes and bow your head and talk to God, but also throughout the day in all that you do you carry on a conversation and relationship with you Father, your Creator. Also having a real desire to know all about Him through what He has revealed to us in His word. The first psalm says that a man is blessed who meditates on God's law day and night. I am firmly convinced that if you're doing that, then you have a relationship.

If, on the other hand, you're more of a once in a while I'll sit and pray and that's about all I have to do to call myself a christian and say I'm saved, oh, and go to church most Sunday mornings, then I'd have serious questions as to whether that person has a relationship.

Of course, anyone with a relationship with the Father is going to have the Holy Spirit indwelling and Jesus gave us a test for that. You can 'see' the kingdom of God.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

NR90

Jan 11, 2011
✟15,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
miamited said:
hi nr,

However, prayer life isn't just those tiimes that you sit down quietly in the morning or evening and fold your hands and close your eyes and bow your head and talk to God,

"""but also throughout the day in all that you do you carry on a conversation and relationship with you Father, your Creator."""

I have a question about this the area of the sentence with the 3 quotation marks what do you mean by that?

I do pray everyday. But when I pray I usually start it off with "God, my Father" or "Jesus Christ my Lord", depending on who I pray to.

Upvote 0

jehoiakim

Servant
Jun 24, 2011
New Jersey
✟17,202.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for the honesty:)

can you tell us about your spiritual life,
-did you grow up in church?
-did you ever feel excited or passionate about God?
-we all struggle with doubt at times, what kind of things do you doubt?
-do you feel "unworthy" before God, or unsure of who God is?
-when you pray what kind of things do you say?

Upvote 0

NR90

Jan 11, 2011
✟15,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
jehoiakim said:
Thanks for the honesty:)

can you tell us about your spiritual life,
-did you grow up in church?
-did you ever feel excited or passionate about God?
-we all struggle with doubt at times, what kind of things do you doubt?
-do you feel "unworthy" before God, or unsure of who God is?
-when you pray what kind of things do you say?

How would someone who is passionate and excited about God describe it? I can say that I want to be with God forever and ever!

And you know, your regular doubts, like is he real?, did he really die on the cross?, is Jesus really God?, is the Holy spirit really God?, is the Bible true in all it says?, am I saved? Stuff like that.

And yeah, I feel unworthy. I don't deserve God at all.

I pray about all kinds of things.

I didn't grow up in church.

Upvote 0

jehoiakim

Servant
Jun 24, 2011
New Jersey
✟17,202.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My unprofessional opinion...

Then I think you are safe:) That all sounds quite normal

When I was younger I remember I remember doubting my salvation often, I just didn't seem to mature as much as I had hoped. I continued to fall into sin even though I tried to resist at times, I didn't pray as much as I wanted to or think about God like I desired. I had grown up in the church and I knew a lot, so many other people had these powerful conversion stories and I felt left out because I was raised to believe. I remember saying a "sinners prayer" quite a few timed because I felt maybe I wasn't genuine before you know that whole "many will come saying Lord, Lord but I will say away from me you evil doer, I never knew you" thing. After a while someone explained something to me, that it was spiritual warfare. If I really believe we are saved by faith, and I that prayer of repentance in faith and I know I felt genuine about it, if I was saying somehow that was invalid i was like Saying Christ's sacrifice wasn't good enough for my sins, which is of course bologna, was I understood that I was being spiritually attacked it was a lot easier because every time it happened after that I recognized it immediately and was able to combat it with verses of assurance. From there God grew me in a way to understand he really was love, so focusing on those aspects might also help your relationship with him grow

I don't know if any of that is helpful or not, but I am happy to pray for you:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This is a simple question.

If you don't know if you have a relationship with God, does that mean you don't?

Or you know, is it just doubt?

Everyone and everything has a relationship with God, (whether we realize it or not), for He created everyone and everything.

But not everyone has a good relationship with God.

A good relationship with God has as it's foundation -

1. The Atoning Sacrifice Of Jesus Christ.

2. And walking in The Light as He Is in the light.

For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.
<-----> Romans 5:10+11

If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanses us from all sin.
<-----> 1st John 1:6+7

May The Lord Be Magnified !

wm

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If you don't know if you have a relationship with God, does that mean you don't?

If you don't know, it means you don't know. It could mean doubt, but not necessarily.

I suggest talking with your priest or pastor. I would also suggest you spend time learning about the Christian religion.

Upvote 0

NR90

Jan 11, 2011
✟15,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
jehoiakim said:
My unprofessional opinion...

Then I think you are safe:) That all sounds quite normal

When I was younger I remember I remember doubting my salvation often, I just didn't seem to mature as much as I had hoped. I continued to fall into sin even though I tried to resist at times, I didn't pray as much as I wanted to or think about God like I desired. I had grown up in the church and I knew a lot, so many other people had these powerful conversion stories and I felt left out because I was raised to believe. I remember saying a "sinners prayer" quite a few timed because I felt maybe I wasn't genuine before you know that whole "many will come saying Lord, Lord but I will say away from me you evil doer, I never knew you" thing. After a while someone explained something to me, that it was spiritual warfare. If I really believe we are saved by faith, and I that prayer of repentance in faith and I know I felt genuine about it, if I was saying somehow that was invalid i was like Saying Christ's sacrifice wasn't good enough for my sins, which is of course bologna, was I understood that I was being spiritually attacked it was a lot easier because every time it happened after that I recognized it immediately and was able to combat it with verses of assurance. From there God grew me in a way to understand he really was love, so focusing on those aspects might also help your relationship with him grow

I don't know if any of that is helpful or not, but I am happy to pray for you:)

That was helpful! Thank you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

1 You hear the gospel and you believe the message and you
receive Christ by faith and believe that He is the son of God and that He died for
your sins and has obtained a pardon for you and eternal life as long
as you believe in Him for your salvation.

2 Now the relationship can begin.

Christ took away any objections or restrictions on God's side so that now
we can come to God through Christ and talk to God our Father.

Like...
Father in Jesus name I come to you and I just want to tell you how much I
love and appreciate all the good things You have brought into my life.

Thanks for giving me Your Son to show me the way and to take my place
in punishment for my sins so I can have a relationship with You.

Father, thank Your for my brother who is seeking you and wanting to know
if he has a relationship with You.

Father lead him and show him how to communicate with You in intimate
ways and I ask that You would come into his life in greater ways and fill him with
Your love and Your Holy Spirit.
In Jesus name I pray.

It pleases the Father that we come to Him through His Son.
It pleases the Father that we acknowledge, magnify and give
praise, honor and glory to His Son as we realize that without
Christ we would not have access to the Father.

Relationship is not something you have, it is something you develop.

I have developed a relationship with God that is growing stronger day by day
because I have come to Him and asked Him to help me grow closer
to Him in every way and in each and everyday.

If you really want a relationship with God then surrender your life to Jesus
Christ and ask Him to be more than your savior but to also be your Lord.

A great book to read to help you with a relationship with God in Christ
is called Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray.

Salvation is just the beginning.
A relationship takes a lifetime of effort in pursuit of God in deeper
ways in which you will get to know God and His character so deeply and intimately
that all you will want to do is surrender yourself to Him completely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eaglemustfly

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
✟15,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi NR90

Have you started doing what the Words say?
At least 2 or 3 simple things, like doing good to others, giving and not expecting any return, praying for someone else even though he might not know it.

When you are intimate with someone, you surely know what he likes or don't like.
It is the same with God.

If you are really serious about knowing God, then do the things He does.
Even if that means getting out of your comfort zone.

Hope that helps.

God Bless!

Upvote 0
T

TruthSeeker2012

Well duh, I would remember saying "I do" at the wedding haha.

Well have you said, "I do" to Jesus and become His Bride? Have you invited Jesus into your heart to be your Lord and Saviour? Salvation is likened to a marriage to Jesus, so do you remember? If yes, then you know Jesus and Jesus knows you and you are in a legal relationship together and you are legally part of His Bride.

God bless.

Upvote 0