Central Ohio
✟18,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
oh, roses and I are real friends. yes, I think I can give you some help.

First, if your rose was grafted onto a root you may see that the rose died and the root rose lives, which is an ugly red rose shrub called Dr. Huey. If you find that has happened, you can dig up the rose and start over with another. I don't know what zone you live in, but I mention this because in the colder zones, roses are often grafted onto stronger rooted roses, but without proper over-wintering, they tend to die and leave the ugly red rose.

okay. I tend not to cut my roses until spring, though many will tell you to cut in the fall. I let them be in the fall, and tie them together if they are tall, so winter winds don't blow them around. In the spring, after no frost concern, cut them - read up on how to, shrubs and climbers get cut differently. Now, it's really important after each growing of new stems and leaves that you spray them with an anti-fungal spray - they even sell a combination anti-fungal and insect repellant. I spray about every 6 weeks, and if you get the rose leaves that spring, when it rains all the time and is cool... then you have saved it from getting diseases like black spot. If you do nothing else, you have allowed it to keep it's leaves and that will mean it will absorb sunshine and grow and you will get a healthy rose bush in no time at all, with probably a big difference after one growth season.

good luck, there just aren't enough roses around.

Upvote 0

The Smiling One

Sep 30, 2004
N. Nevada
Visit site
✟15,593.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Use something with an insecticide in it. I have a real problem with those little rose borers. The adult bee/fly looking thing lays an egg inside a pruned cane. The larvae then eats it's way down the cane until it's ready to pupate and then leave as an adult. They really cut back on the potential growth of the plant, because the bored cane dies. They could probably end up killing the whole plant.

Upvote 0
B

bluejeans

It's also very,very important to toss in a bar of soap. Antibacterial is best,and leave it next to your rose bush. The bugs hate that soap and it's so good for the
soil around your roses. The soap makes alot of difference. Now and then in the
spring and summer I sprinkle the soil around my roses with black Pepper.
Aphids are a very bad problem.They will try to keep your rose buds from maturing
and the little spiders wrap webs around the buds sometimes,but they sure do hate the soap suds and the pepper,man do they ever. They can't scram fast
enough in at least 7 different directions. You should have seen the lovely roses
i grew this past summer. Three large beautiful pink ones in a cluster together.
This was a first for me on the same bush. They were flawless. The soap and
pepper worked! Who knew,huh?

Upvote 0

Under_His_Shadow

HowwellIre-Member
Feb 15, 2004
So.Ca.
✟1,223.00
Faith
Christian
kingzjewel said:
whats the best way? they have been without care for about 2 yrs. i think they still have hope!

Sometimes you can re-juvenate a rose plant by digging it completely up (during dormancy/January, etc) & transplanting it into a different area of your garden. Giving it a real hard pruning shortly afterwards also should help!
:)

Upvote 0

Organist

Hammond A102
Nov 12, 2004
California
✟12,880.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I use 3-in-1 systemics for my roses. It works from the inside of the rose bush. Just scratch up the soil on the surface around the rose bush, above the roots, and sprinkle the recommended amount. It has food, insecticide, and necessary nutrients for the rose. It is applied once a month during the growing season. Ortho makes it, as well as some other brands.

Upvote 0