the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Our entire church went through a change as our understanding of God changed.
For us, it all started with one word, sovereignty.

It's been some time now, but for many years we gave mere lip service to God's sovereignty.

It's been the greatest adventure of our lives.

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was looking for reformed churches in my state. There are 3 listed as reformed. Is this pretty common? Do a lot of you tend to be a small handful at your church with reformed beliefs?
Well, first off, your state is geographically small. Perhaps you may wish to examine some congregations in either Mass. or Conn., depending on how close you reside to either state. i know that Providence is pretty close to the Mass. border.

Second: You just may want to tweak your search parameters a bit. Look for churches that are 'Presbyterian' of one stripe or another, or specify which 'Reformed' denomination you would want to find (i.e. Christian Reformed Church, Reformed Church in America, etc).

Depending on your own theological orientation, you may wish to see if there are Reformed or "Particular" Baptist congregations in your area.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I was looking for reformed churches in my state. There are 3 listed as reformed. Is this pretty common? Do a lot of you tend to be a small handful at your church with reformed beliefs?
God's people have never been the majority in any generation. I know of few of God's churches with over 300 members. Keep in mind that Reformed doesn't necessarilly mean true. Sadly many Reformed, especially in the North, tend toward legalism and Law. Those of the Al Martin persuasion are an example. Still Christ is on the throne and will bring to pass in His wonderful providence that which He intends for you. He says that His thoughts are for good not for evil towards His people. Jer. 29:11

Upvote 0

TwinMommy

Enjoying The Journey That God Is Guiding Me On
Feb 24, 2013
Rhode Island
✟15,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because of ads I can't reply to the first post that replied to me. I know nothing about Presbyterian. I know Baptist and non-denominational. I will have to do some research today on that denomination. We will be near CT when we move.

Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Because of ads I can't reply to the first post that replied to me. I know nothing about Presbyterian. I know Baptist and non-denominational. I will have to do some research today on that denomination. We will be near CT when we move.

Presbyterians are part of the Reformed group (which includes Congregationalists) which has been founded by the French Reformer John Calvin. The Baptists were founded much later, when some of the non-conformists in England escaped the persecution of the Church of England to Netherlands, where they founded the Separatist group led by John Smyth. Through the influences of the Anabaptists, the group now exists as the Baptists (of course history is not this simple).

If you want some more information on denominations, I've made a presentation slide thing which tries to be brief about it: Brief History of Christianity: Division of the Church

Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Have been looking into some info on Presbyterians. That is not a denomination I would feel comfortable with because of female Pastors/Rev.

Not all Presbyterians ordain women, likewise there are some Baptists who do ordain women.

Apart from the more traditional Christians (Catholics and Orthodox), I don't know of many denominations that doesn't ordain women apart from the super-conservative ones like the Lutheran Church of the Missouri Synod.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Have been looking into some info on Presbyterians. That is not a denomination I would feel comfortable with because of female Pastors/Rev.

All of the Reformed families have liberal and conservative denominations. That includes Reformed, Presbyterian and Congregational. The largest conservative Presbyterian denomination is the Presbyterian Church of America.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2010
Québec
✟7,758.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Bloc
Presbyterians are part of the Reformed group (which includes Congregationalists) which has been founded by the French Reformer John Calvin. The Baptists were founded much later, when some of the non-conformists in England escaped the persecution of the Church of England to Netherlands, where they founded the Separatist group led by John Smyth. Through the influences of the Anabaptists, the group now exists as the Baptists (of course history is not this simple).

If you want some more information on denominations, I've made a presentation slide thing which tries to be brief about it: Brief History of Christianity: Division of the Church

To be technical, though Calvin was the most popular theologian, the term "calvinist" wasn't never used by themselves into well into the 19th century. There was the Reformed and the Presbyterians, and remember Calvin was a middle era reformer. He built on the work on Guillaume Farel in Geneva. The Reformed tradition's first theologian/activist was Urlich Zwingli, not Calvin. Bullinger's theology is ironically much closer to that of the Westminster Standards than Calvin's on several points.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2010
Québec
✟7,758.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Bloc

There are two presbyterian denominations that ordain women (pcusa: the larger mainline; and the evangelical presbyterian church; a smaller group). the smaller OPC, PCA, ARPC, or the more conservative RPCNA do not believe in that.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

To add a little, if I am not mistaken, American or Western Baptists founders (around 1638 with Roger Williams) were Calvinistic Baptists, or Particular Baptists. Since dispensationalism has it's formal-technical origin and spreading with men such as Darby, Inglis, and Scofield in the 1800's, I'd also have to conclude that, as prevalent as it is today among Baptists (not to mention other branches of Christianity), the Baptists did not start out as dispensationalists, not for some time.

Upvote 0

TwinMommy

Feb 24, 2013
Rhode Island
✟15,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really appreciate all ya'll are sharing with me. I am doing a lot of reading and more importantly a lot of praying. I am in a very confusing place right now when it comes to churches. There are the types I use to know, the kind I am use to now, and where ever God leads me at this point. I do have to say that changing from Baptist and Non-Denominational is a scary idea because those are the two types of churches I have been in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
My advice is take your time, first and foremost. Visit as many churches as necessary until you're comfortable with the message being preached. When you are honing in on one or two, speak with the pastor about your beliefs and base your decision on his feedback to your questions.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2010
Québec
✟7,758.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Bloc
My advice is take your time, first and foremost. Visit as many churches as necessary until you're comfortable with the message being preached. When you are honing in on one or two, speak with the pastor about your beliefs and base your decision on his feedback to your questions.

I'm not sure I agree. Maybe when I was younger I would think that way, but in my experience now as a bit older of a Christian....
1. Challenging sermons are good. I need to have God's law strike me down and the Gospel in Christ offered. Preaching against my own sins is a bit convicting and solid preaching that makes me feel uncomfortable at times helps me grow.
2. Even if the pastor isn't the greatest and the sermons aren't super... There is more to being a part of church life than your individual experience. A part of it is being in a place in which you can help others and serve in community. And God grows you in such a way that what you disliked before, you now love.

my 2cents

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
To add a little, if I am not mistaken, American or Western Baptists founders (around 1638 with Roger Williams) were Calvinistic Baptists, or Particular Baptists. Since dispensationalism has it's formal-technical origin and spreading with men such as Darby, Inglis, and Scofield in the 1800's, I'd also have to conclude that, as prevalent as it is today among Baptists (not to mention other branches of Christianity), the Baptists did not start out as dispensationalists, not for some time.

That would be correct over here in Australia, the majority of us are non-dispensational, but then that's true of most churches

Upvote 0

TwinMommy

Feb 24, 2013
Rhode Island
✟15,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do like/want a challenging sermon. I want to be convicted, so that I can learn and grow in the Lord.
What is non-dispensational? Right now I am learning so much about reformed theology as I can when it comes to comparing scripture and so forth but still a lot of it is very foreign to me.

Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If you're researching denominations, check the history. It's very important in that you need to understand why that praticular group came into existence. I have made a brief presentation if you want to see a summarized version of Church history, but I would recommend proper academic textbooks for better accuracy.

Upvote 0