referring to your deceased spouse

By_the_Book

Life lived by the Bible is life worth living.
Jul 25, 2022
St. Augustine
Visit site
✟38,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
When you're talking about your deceased spouse how do you refer to them?

I still call him my husband when I talk about him. I actually stopped myself one day and said to someone, 'I don't know how to refer to him because it sounds like he's still here when I talk about him but I don't know how to refer to him.'

For me I often talk to people who are not aware that I had a husband and that he has died. Therefore, I feel like it sends a confusing message and I have no idea how to clear it up simply, without having to say, I was married and he has passed away. That gets old.

raeeldri
raeeldri
I too have this problem. My wife died just last September. When I speak about her, I often refer to her name and say, my wife. I think as time passes that will lessen, however, I think that God has that as part of our healing process. She was part of my life for over 30 years, and it is hard to think of myself as single again.
Upvote 0
raeeldri
raeeldri
I think it is okay to refer to him as your husband and there will be a time when you will be able to refer to him by his name. I hope that this is help.
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When you're talking about your deceased spouse how do you refer to them?

I still call him my husband when I talk about him. I actually stopped myself one day and said to someone, 'I don't know how to refer to him because it sounds like he's still here when I talk about him but I don't know how to refer to him.'

For me I often talk to people who are not aware that I had a husband and that he has died. Therefore, I feel like it sends a confusing message and I have no idea how to clear it up simply, without having to say, I was married and he has passed away. That gets old.
how about "my departed husband" "my husband, now in heaven" "my deceased husband" "my husband, God rest his soul"

Upvote 0