✟1,358,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 1:7-10 ESV

“In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.”

1. What is redemption? How is it through the blood of Christ?
2. What is forgiveness of sins? How is that accomplished?
3. What is the grace of God? What all does that entail?
4. What is God’s will and purpose and plan for our lives?

We who believe in Jesus Christ, who have been crucified with him in death to sin, and who have been raised with him to walk in newness of life in him, no longer as slaves to sin, but now as slaves to God and to his righteousness (see Romans 6:1-23; Ephesians 1:1-6), we have redemption through the blood of Jesus Christ, the forgiveness of our trespasses (sins). So, what does that mean exactly? What all does that entail?

Well, the word “redemption” means “buying back from, re-purchasing (winning back) what was previously forfeited (lost); emphasizes the distance (safety-margin) that results between the rescued person, and what previously enslaved them” (source: biblehub.com interlinear).

So, what does that mean? It means that when Jesus Christ died on that cross, he took upon himself the sins of the entire world so that when he died our sins died with him, and when he rose from dead, he rose victorious over sin, hell, death, and Satan, on our behalf. He shed his blood for us on that cross to buy us back for God (to redeem us) out of our lives of slavery to sin so that we will now serve and honor him with our lives.

For Jesus died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. He died that we might now live for him and no longer for ourselves. And he died to rescue us out of our lives of slavery (addiction) to sin so that we will now follow him in obedience to his commands (New Covenant) in living holy lives, pleasing to him, according to the will of God for our lives, and so that we will no longer walk (in conduct, in practice) in sin, in disobedience to God.

1 Peter 2:24; 2 Corinthians 5:15,21; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; Romans 6:1-23

And what about forgiveness of sins? What does that entail? The word means “release, pardon, a sending away, remission, to let go.” It means to be released from the punishment of sin, but it is more than that. It has to do with us forsaking our lives of sin to follow Jesus with our lives in obedience to his commands, for when God forgives our sins it includes him releasing us from our slavery to sin so that we can now serve him with our lives. For when Jesus forgives, he says, “Go and sin no more.”

And, again, we need to go back to verse one and read who these promises are written to. They are the saints (those who are living holy lives, different from the world because they are being made to be like Jesus in character), and they are the faithful in Christ Jesus who are full of faith, a faith which is authored by Christ, gifted to us by God, and persuaded by God, which is not of ourselves and not of our own doing, not of the will and flesh of man.

[Hebrews 12:1-2; Ephesians 2:8-10; John 1:12-13; John 6:44]

So, forgiveness of sins is not for everyone who merely gives lip service to God. And forgiveness of sins is not a free license to now continue living in deliberate and habitual sin against the Lord. For when God forgives, he also delivers us from our slavery (addiction) to sin, and he empowers us to now live for him in righteousness, holiness, and godliness, in his power and strength, according to his will and purpose for our lives.

And what about the riches of his grace? What does his grace teach us? His grace, which is bringing us salvation, instructs (trains) us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives while we wait for our Lord’s return. For Jesus Christ gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works (see Titus 2:11-14).

[Matt 7:21-23; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 9:23-26; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14,24; Rom 12:1-2; Rom 13:11; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; 1 Co 1:18; 1 Co 15:1-2; 2 Tim 1:8-9; Heb 9:28; 1 Pet 1:5; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-17; 1 Pet 2:24; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6,24-25; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 3:6,14-15; Heb 10:23-31; Heb 12:1-2; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

Have Thine Own Way, Lord

Words by Adelaide A. Pollard, 1907
Music by George C. Stebbins, 1907

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Thou art the potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after Thy will,
While I am waiting, yielded and still.

Search me and try me, Master, today!
Whiter than snow, Lord, wash me just now,
As in Thy presence humbly I bow.

Wounded and weary, help me I pray!
Power, all power, surely is Thine!
Touch me and heal me, Savior divine!

Hold o'er my being absolute sway.
Fill with Thy Spirit till all shall see
Christ only, always, living in me!

Caution: This link may contain ads