In a House
✟10,782.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My father recently bought a book entitled "Evolution: A Fairy Tale for Grownups" by no other than the banana-man Ray Comfort. I actually say down and read this book and by the end I could feel my brain cells shrinking away. My question to those of you who have read it, are there any books that offer a rebuttal to this horrid excuse for science? If not, perhaps we should put our collective minds together to prepare a book called "Evolution: A Great Truth for Everybody," or something like that. Take each argument from Comfort's book (it is mostly quote mines/arguments from authority) and provide a rebuttal to it complete with references. Maybe throw in some extras too.

Here's a rebuttal to his video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_5Vstf6OHk&feature=PlayList&p=3E165308E7342A8E&index=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mzrliPFD0M&feature=PlayList&p=3E165308E7342A8E&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Mi16NCUkA&feature=PlayList&p=3E165308E7342A8E&index=2
donexodus2 is the man!

Reactions: Split Rock

PsychMJC

Nov 7, 2007
✟8,294.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ah Ray Comfort. I'm against ad hom attacks and all....but seriously, at some point you have to stop refuting his individual points and just say "This man is a nut, and not even worth addressing."
\

Agreed. But if I point AND laugh is that still ok? :p

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, it is not recomended. That's when he would play the persecution card.
Not all persecution is unjustifiable.

Ray Comfort needs rebutting like the interwebs need more inappropriate content.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a theory that people like Ray comfort et al don't actually believe their bilge, they merely pump it out because there is one born every minute who will pay good money for it.

I have a further sub-theory that NO ONE actually believes all that creationist bilge, but because everyone around them is putting on such a convincing act of believing it, they feel compelled to pretend to believe it too, so as not to appear the odd one out in the community.

Upvote 0

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I have a theory that people like Ray comfort et al don't actually believe their bilge, they merely pump it out because there is one born every minute who will pay good money for it.

I have a further sub-theory that NO ONE actually believes all that creationist bilge, but because everyone around them is putting on such a convincing act of believing it, they feel compelled to pretend to believe it too, so as not to appear the odd one out in the community.
Well, if you check out Ray Comfort's blog, it is abundantly clear that the man is grossly, horribly ignorant of science. So it doesn't actually surprise me that he would believe his nonsense. He is that ignorant.

Upvote 0

paug

Aug 11, 2008
Finland
✟7,969.00
Faith
Atheist
Ray Comfort said:
I always smile when someone says that they are the master of their own destiny. If we are in control of our destiny, surely we would be in control of our own body. Yet, the human body has a mind of its own. If you think that you are in control, then stop yourself blinking. You can’t. You are a slave to it, as well as a slave to sleeping, and daily bodily functions. Your liver, lungs, kidneys, heart and other vital organs work independently of your will. You can’t stop yourself dreaming, or thinking, because your subconscious has a mind of its own.

You can’t even outsmart your right foot, because God has pre-programmed your brain to do certain things that are totally independent of your will. Don’t believe it? Then try this. Sit down and lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles. Now, while doing this, draw the number '6' in the air with your right hand. Your foot will change direction (if you are normal).

Oh noes, RC has found our only weakness.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
banana man said:
I always smile when someone says that they are the master of their own destiny.

I always smack my forehead when someone thinks they're getting ready to share a profound truth but actually say something stupid...

banana man said:
If we are in control of our destiny, surely we would be in control of our own body.

:doh:

So because I get the hiccoughs, blink my eyes and can't make myself never pee again, I have no control over whether I get an education and earn more money, where I live, who I marry or how many children I have (or even if I marry or have children), whether I live a healthy lifestyle or not or whether I take up skydiving?

Ugh...

Upvote 0

paug

Aug 11, 2008
Finland
✟7,969.00
Faith
Atheist
So because I get the hiccoughs, blink my eyes and can't make myself never pee again, I have no control over whether I get an education and earn more money, where I live, who I marry or how many children I have (or even if I marry or have children), whether I live a healthy lifestyle or not or whether I take up skydiving?

Ugh...

I don't know, I mean, looking at that foot example... sounds pretty convincing to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MasterOfKrikkit

Feb 1, 2008
USA
✟16,435.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Ray Comfort needs rebutting like the interwebs need more inappropriate content.
You're absolutely right: he does need rebutting! ^_^

The problem is that it's actually hard to rebut completely inane piffle. Where do you even start?

- "And thus we conclude that the square root of two is not a rational number, QED"
- "But you're assuming that two is not asymptotically isomorphic to an integer field of prime cofactor matrices"
- "...gwh... hnhuhhhugha?"
- "See! You have no answer!"

Upvote 0

BananaSlug

Life is an experiment, experience it!
Aug 26, 2005
In a House
✟10,782.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The point of a rebuttal is not to show the person that they're wrong but to show other people who may be listening why the argument is wrong. RC's "Fairy Tale" book is essentially nothing but quote mines which seems to be the main "evidence" they have against evolution.

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If someone whom I believe is honest but naive or misled tells me that he finds Comfort's video or Ham's essay somewhat compelling, I will likely give whatever time and effort are necessary to counter the myriad lies.

My limited and precious patience, however, is wasted on voluntarily subjecting myself to utter rubbish that leaves me weeping for progressive thought.

Upvote 0

Vene

In memory of ChordatesLegacy
Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ray said:
You can’t even outsmart your right foot, because God has pre-programmed your brain to do certain things that are totally independent of your will. Don’t believe it? Then try this. Sit down and lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles. Now, while doing this, draw the number '6' in the air with your right hand. Your foot will change direction (if you are normal).
Yeah, I did it. I guess I ain't normal. (Or Ray is full of fecal matter)
Edit: Well, I already know he's full of fecal matter, but there is a slim chance he's right about this and I'm one of the abnormal individuals.

Upvote 0