Raising children in an unequally yoked home.

MERCY@GRACE

Jan 1, 2005
✟3,309.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think if we do run into problems it will be further dwn the road when our kids are teens. I think we will have diff outlooks on dating and such. With our boys I feel he will have the machismo attitude about dating, while I will promote courting and abstinence. Hopefully by then he will be saved:thumbsup:

Do you have any kids straelda?

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
starelda said:
Just wondering how others have raised children in an unequally yoked home. Did any problems arise because of you wishing the children be raised in a Christian way and your partner not wanting this?

This has actually been the breaking point in our marriage. Right now we're apart so my daughter is able to enjoy and experience my faith. She was in her first ever Nativity at Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However if my husband was here, she wouldn't be allowed to participate nor would she be allowed to go to church because his faith stipulates that any children must be influenced only by his religion.

I feel so strongly about her welfare that we have reached a cross-roads as to whether or not our marriage can actually work.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Lotuspetal_uk said:
This has actually been the breaking point in our marriage. Right now we're apart so my daughter is able to enjoy and experience my faith. She was in her first ever Nativity at Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However if my husband was here, she wouldn't be allowed to participate nor would she be allowed to go to church because his faith stipulates that any children must be influenced only by his religion.

I feel so strongly about her welfare that we have reached a cross-roads as to whether or not our marriage can actually work.
not to raise any paranoia - but if that is what "his faith" teaches be VERY careful about allowing unsupervised visits and make sure all visits are always on your *turf* and not his..... trust me I have seen much heart shattering woe on this account.... if I am not mistaken "his faith" probably also mandates that he remove his children from "influences of other religions."

Upvote 0

pete56

A Beloved Son of God!
Apr 13, 2004
✟19,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This truly is the crunch point for most unequally yoked couples - one wants a faith based upbringing, relying upon God's Holy Spirit and the other ususally adopts a diametrically opposite view!

In my case my wife prevented me from attending church or taking our daughters by saying that if "that was what I wanted then she did not want any part of it and did not want to remain married to me". It was a heartbreaking situation, which has left me in the marriage, and clinging (privately) to my faith and both of us avoiding the subject most of the time!

My girls have a faith in God and His son Jesus (praise the Lord) but it is not being fed and nurtured as much as I would like, with good Christian boyfriends etc. But I keep praying and waiting, what else can I do?

So Star in response to your original enquiry - yes it is a source of problems, but really all it does is magnify the existing problem.

Pete

Upvote 0

searle29678

Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend
Dec 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟3,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We don't have any children yet, so maybe I shouldn't post but my husband and I are very different in our lifestyles. We are both "Christians". What I mean by that is that we both believe in God and we both believe in Jesus and we were both raised under the same type of beliefs. However, he chooses not to follow what he knows and I am trying desperately to. We have basically agreed that he will leave his cussing, drinking, smoking, church bashing elsewhere and at least act like an example at home. Maybe that is not the best way for him to be, but it is all that we can do for now. Believe me, I'm praying that things will change but I can settle for this if we should become pregnant in the near future.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Henaynei said:
not to raise any paranoia - but if that is what "his faith" teaches be VERY careful about allowing unsupervised visits and make sure all visits are always on your *turf* and not his..... trust me I have seen much heart shattering woe on this account.... if I am not mistaken "his faith" probably also mandates that he remove his children from "influences of other religions."

Yes, Henaynei you're absolutely right. He would have to 'kidnap her' and take her to a country which supports (or operates under..) his religion before he can exercise his religious rights. However the heart-breaking part would be for me to get her back before then. Sad thing is that he religion does support him doing that. :sigh:

Hence as you've quite rightly pointed out, any visits are on my turf and when I'm completely happy that she will be safe.

Upvote 0