Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I definitely think that there will be greater interest in wearing crucifixes. It is through His death on the cross that we are saved. An empty cross, is just that. I'm greatful to be in a country where I can have one on right now, as I type this.:clap:

Upvote 0

Metanoia02

Owner of the invisible &a mp;
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
Veritas said:
I definitely think that there will be greater interest in wearing crucifixes. It is through His death on the cross that we are saved. An empty cross, is just that. I'm greatful to be in a country where I can have one on right now, as I type this.:clap:
I think the empty cross for me has taken on the same value as all the previous Jesus movies----they are missing something.

Upvote 0

CryptoKnight

CHR15T14N G33K
Sep 29, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
✟15,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Metanoia02 said:
Do you think that Protestants will finally understand what wearing a Crucifix means to Catholics now that they have seen the Movie?

Do you think they might start wearing them?
Some will, of course, and others will still see it as being too close to an unhealthy symbolism/idol worship. Maybe since I am a Catholic-turned-Methodist I have no problem with the crucifix. I wear my crucifix, my cross-and-flame, and my plain ol' cross as I see fit.

I guess my question back to you would be "Will seeing the movie make you finally understand what wearing the cross means to a Protestant?"

How about a movie based on the Acts of the Apostles? Would that put the cross-and-flame in perspective for you? (the flame represents the Holy Spirit). Should I, instead, go for a crucifix and flame? When have we chased symbolism too far? No mere cross can encompass my feelings of gratitude at the sacrifice our Lord made for us. I will show my thanks by living a life that is pleasing to Him, and I will hit my knees.

I think that it comes down to the fact that no token symbol is enough to express my love, so I don't feel the need to "compete" with others regarding what I'm wearing around my neck.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
CryptoKnight said:
Some will, of course, and others will still see it as being too close to an unhealthy symbolism/idol worship. Maybe since I am a Catholic-turned-Methodist I have no problem with the crucifix. I wear my crucifix, my cross-and-flame, and my plain ol' cross as I see fit.

I guess my question back to you would be "Will seeing the movie make you finally understand what wearing the cross means to a Protestant?"

How about a movie based on the Acts of the Apostles? Would that put the cross-and-flame in perspective for you? (the flame represents the Holy Spirit). Should I, instead, go for a crucifix and flame? When have we chased symbolism too far? No mere cross can encompass my feelings of gratitude at the sacrifice our Lord made for us. I will show my thanks by living a life that is pleasing to Him, and I will hit my knees.

I think that it comes down to the fact that no token symbol is enough to express my love, so I don't feel the need to "compete" with others regarding what I'm wearing around my neck.

Hi Crypto

I realize you personally don't have a problem with the crucifix, but many, many Protestants do . . and that is what the OP was directed at . . :)

I think it will change many of minds of those Protestants who DO have problems with it right now . . .

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

CryptoKnight

CHR15T14N G33K
Sep 29, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
✟15,413.00
Faith
Methodist
thereselittleflower said:
Hi Crypto

I realize you personally don't have a problem with the crucifix, but many, many Protestants do . . and that is what the OP was directed at . . :)

I think it will change many of minds of those Protestants who DO have problems QUOTE]

It will, and it should. This didn't come out well in my first post, but too many P's are so focused on what they perceive to be borderline heresy (iconism) that they choose not to appreciate the crucifix for what it is, independent of what another denomination (i.e. Catholicism) thinks of it.

Unfortunately, knowing my argumentative personality, I think one thing that finally made me re-embrace the crucifix was knowing that it was offensive to many Mormons (not trying to start a fight, just stating my own experience).

Upvote 0

Michelina

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2003
✟19,733.00
Faith
Catholic
thereselittleflower said:
Someone here predicted that this would be such a draw to wearing crucifixes that there would be a run on them, and their price would go up!

That was me, Therese, and I really do think that. I also think that when people see a Crucufix, they will really see it. And know what it represents.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Metanoia02 said:
I think the empty cross for me has taken on the same value as all the previous Jesus movies----they are missing something.
What's missing in the movies "Jesus of Nazareth" or "The Greatest Story Ever Told"? :scratch:

I'm going to judge Gibson's movie by the standard these other great movies have set. Don't get me wrong, I'm anticipating seeing this movie, but really... has anyone here seen it? Yet we're all hyping it like mad.

Upvote 0

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I love Jesus of Nazareth. Some of the acting and realism isn't in Greatest Story in my opinion.

What I think we all want to see is the attention given to Christ's sacrifice and be moved. Moved so much that we have those images in our head the way the visual arts only can. Beyond imagination perhaps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Here is my concern: If this movie goes over-board with the gore, the purpose of Jesus' death and resurrection may be lost on a significant portion of the movie-goers. There was an article by an Orthodox believer on this issue and (s)he explained quite eloquently that there is a reason that the Gospels don't go in-depth into explaining the sufferings that Christ endured. I wish I remembered the link to that article. Maybe Oblio can help us out.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
PeterPaul said:
Hey nyj! Question for ya. Do you think they'll ever widescreen and remaster "Jesus of...."?
I don't know. To be honest, it wasn't until recently that someone even clued me in on the fact that quite a few DVDs come as widescreen and fullscreen. I just went out and bought the one I could get my hands on. :)

However, if Gibson's movie stirs up interest like I think it will, Artisan (who I believe has the rights to the movie Jesus of Nazareth) may very well do so.

Upvote 0

Faithful1

Jun 5, 2002
✟338.00
Faith
Christian
Metanoia02 said:
Do you think that Protestants will finally understand what wearing a Crucifix means to Catholics now that they have seen the Movie?

Do you think they might start wearing them?
I think you may have missed the point of the movie altogether Metanoia.
Its not about 'wearing' a cross; rather its about living a crucified life.

Its not about trying to get others to understand why we 'wear' a cross; its about letting them see Christ live through us.

This movie made me realize my own personal deficiency in that regard; hopefully it will encourage you and others to do the same.

Faithful1

Reactions: Isaiah 53
Upvote 0

onesheep

Sheep that looks like Bob
Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
nyj said:
Here is my concern: If this movie goes over-board with the gore, the purpose of Jesus' death and resurrection may be lost on a significant portion of the movie-goers. There was an article by an Orthodox believer on this issue and (s)he explained quite eloquently that there is a reason that the Gospels don't go in-depth into explaining the sufferings that Christ endured. I wish I remembered the link to that article. Maybe Oblio can help us out.
I understand your concern, nyj, however my concern has been the opposite: that Christians are shocked and surprised to realize what Jesus DID suffer for us. They're appalled to think anyone would consider the importance of what He suffered so that all of us would have the chance to reconciled to God.

People don't want to focus on that, and yet it's an important part of our deliverance as well as the Resurrection. People are focusing on the "feel good" aspect of everything without realizing that He paid OUR penalty.

And heaven knows Christians are in desperate need of a wake-up call right now.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.