Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Second, does the Church of LDS teach that there is no salvation outside LDS? I have read that it does, but of course most of what is written about Mormons is biased against them.

Thank you for any answers you could give me.

LDS believe that the "gospel" (Mormon Plan of Salvation) will be taught to all non-LDS in the Spirit world(aka spirit prison). Those who accept it, must also accept proxy temple ordinances including proxy temple marriage sealings done on behalf of them. This will entitle them to eternal life in the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom with God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ.

There are two kingdoms of glory below the Celestial kingdom: Christ visits and rules the Terrestrial Kingdom.

Terrestrial Kingdom
Those who inherit terrestrial glory will "receive of the presence of the Son, but not of the fulness of the Father. Wherefore, they are bodies terrestrial, and not bodies celestial, and differ in glory as the moon differs from the sun" (D&C 76:77–78). Generally speaking, individuals in the terrestrial kingdom will be honorable people "who were blinded by the craftiness of men" (D&C 76:75). This group will include members of the Church who were "not valiant in the testimony of Jesus" (D&C 76:79). It will also include those who rejected the opportunity to receive the gospel in mortality but who later received it in the postmortal spirit world (see D&C 76:73–74). To learn more about those who will inherit terrestrial glory, see Doctrine and Covenants 76:71–80, 91, 97.

Telestial Kingdom
Telestial glory will be reserved for individuals who "received not the gospel of Christ, neither the testimony of Jesus" (D&C 76:82). These individuals will receive their glory after being redeemed from spirit prison, which is sometimes called hell (see D&C 76:84, D&C 76:106). A detailed explanation of those who will inherit telestial glory is found in Doctrine and Covenants 76:81–90, 98–106, 109–112.
Kingdoms of Glory

All kingdoms of glory are referred to as salvation, but Eternal Life(identified as the kind of life the Father lives) is called exaltation and individual salvation.

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
My dad would express exactly the same sentiment. He, although not a LDS, believes Joseph Smith was a great theologian.

I have a few more questions, and I wanted to see them answered from the horse's mouth, so to speak, instead of reading all the vitriol that is posted online about LDS by non-LDS.

Good policy.

First, what kind of emphasis does the Church of LDS place on converting them first and foremost to Jesus Christ, rather than on expounding why LDS beliefs are correct? In other words, is a real effort made to make sure that new converts understand the ins and outs of the gospel, as outlined in Romans, and to make sure they know Christ as their personal savior and understand their position in Him? Or are the other "less-essential" doctrines that are peculiar to the Church of LDS forced down their throats right away so as to confuse them before they are ready to understand them? Please understand I am not taking a pot shot at LDS, but I'm sure you understand my concern.

LDS it's missionary's etc. place a focus on Christ and his basic Gospel first, and then we show that he still loves us today, and has revealed the BOM, etc. Basically, we introduce people to the Restored Gospel for which Christ is the Chief Cornerstone. In fact, it's funny you ask this, because our enemy's accuse us of "hiding" Mormonism from converts, when we focus on the actual Gospel of Christ more so than "fringe" issues, or the issues THEY would like us to focus on, but especially their bigoted interpretations. They want us to teach their views of our religion, rather than who we really are and the Gospel of Christ. This is HIS Church literally to us, so it all is his.

Third, I know that LDS are non-trinitarian, as am I, but I guess what I would like to know is, exactly what flavor of non-trinitarian are they? My christology is decidedly Arian, but unlike many who subscribe to Arianism, I believe that Christ pre-existed with the Father from eternity, and was not created at any point in time. I also believe that although He was not equal to God, He was still divine, unlike many Arians who write off His divinity entirely.

Sounds pretty close to mormonism.
We actually believe we all "pre-existed", that we were the "sons of God who shouted for joy" in the pre-mortal life. We believe in what's called the "Godhead", rather than a Trinity. That the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost work together for the salvation and exaltation of man. That Christ and the Holy Ghost act on behalf of the Father.

Second, does the Church of LDS teach that there is no salvation outside LDS? I have read that it does, but of course most of what is written about Mormons is biased against them.

It's actually a yes and no question. Because mormonism is the literal kingdom on the earth with Gods authority, God DOES have His System for the salvation and exaltation of man, and that only occurs through his authority and ordinances which the Church has. But, the Lord provides a way for ALL mankind to receive of the same. Thus, ultimately there is salvation for those outside of mormonism. LDS believe that while the "truth" is important, it's more important what one does with what he knows, his heart and actions. God being a just God, thus provides a way for all those who may not perfectly or at all intellectually per-se knowing him. LDS believe that all righteousness and good comes from God. This is one of the reasons we don't have ministry's "against" other religions like they do against us.

We follow Christ's words in Mark 9 & Luke 9, in which he has strong words against those who would offend other believers who are not with the Church or with his authority.

Thank you for any answers you could give me.

You're welcome....

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Totaly off subject, but i would just like to say my neighbors are Mormon and they are the greatest people. I could not ask for better neighbors! helpful, loving, god fearing folks.

The problem isn't the people. It's the false teachings. We have really nice Hindu neighbors a couple of houses away.

Upvote 0
L

Light of Jehovah

I kind of take the idea that Joseph Smith was inspired of God to write the Book of Mormon, and then later fell from that inspiration to start his own church and do his own thing; it has the same doctrines of Salvation, of listening to Jesus Christ, and the steps of being saved: faith, repentance, baptism, etc. That's it.

Now there are so many Churches under the Latter Day Saint movement, such as the Community of Christ (CoC, formally RLDS). Yet the biggest that hogs this spotlight is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

But the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches and taught things that are not according to the Book of Mormon...

"Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;

For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.

Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes."

-- Jacob 2:24,27-29​

Upvote 0

Son of Zadok

Traveler
Dec 9, 2010
Utah - I travel often
✟8,182.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mormons believe they can become gods. I don't know why their beliefs should be discussed on a CHRISTIAN forum.

It is the same - perhaps more complete or whole concept - that anciently the understanding of being "one" with G-d made someone a g-d. In fact when Jesus said he was "one" with the Father he was accused of making himself a g-d. It is most interesting to note how Jesus answered the question in a manner that indicates that being one with G-d does makes someone a g-d.

I realize that for most of Christian history it was believed and practiced to murder anyone with a different religious opinions (in other words believing something different or in other words heresy was a crime punishable by death- so I guess I can understand why you think a "Christian" that believes in Christian traditions cannot discuss such things?

The point is - if you believe in being one with G-d you believe the same things that LDS believe in being a g-d. Those that demand there is some difference are just playing word games.

Son of Zadok

Upvote 0

FireOfTheCovenant

Feb 6, 2006
Utah
✟7,956.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Totaly off subject, but i would just like to say my neighbors are Mormon and they are the greatest people. I could not ask for better neighbors! helpful, loving, god fearing folks.
My whole family is Mormon. I love Mormon people. I do not, however, love the LDS church and its ability to hurt people, its truth claims, and the way it hides its history from member of the LDS church.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I kind of take the idea that Joseph Smith was inspired of God to write the Book of Mormon, and then later fell from that inspiration to start his own church and do his own thing; it has the same doctrines of Salvation, of listening to Jesus Christ, and the steps of being saved: faith, repentance, baptism, etc. That's it.

Now there are so many Churches under the Latter Day Saint movement, such as the Community of Christ (CoC, formally RLDS). Yet the biggest that hogs this spotlight is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

But the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches and taught things that are not according to the Book of Mormon...

"Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;

For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.

Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes."

-- Jacob 2:24,27-29​

Hi, Light of Jehovah. I saw your post and wanted to let you know that I used to be a member of the RLDS church. I no longer belong to it, but I posted here as a member for a couple of years. Some of the members remember that there was an RLDS member posting here. LOL.

And when I was a member of the RLDS church, that is what I believed, also.

Upvote 0

BadWolf123

Nov 12, 2007
✟736.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is no "doctrine" stating that God has many wives.

Really?
here is what Dictionary.com has to say on your word of choice:

doc·trine

   /ˈdɒk
thinsp.png
trɪn/ Show Spelled[dok-trin] Show IPA
noun 1. a particular principle, position, or policy taught or advocated, as of a religion or government: Catholic doctrines; the Monroe Doctrine.

2. something that is taught; teachings collectively: religious doctrine.

3. a body or system of teachings relating to a particular subject: the doctrine of the Catholic Church.

Apostle Orson Pratt makes these unbelievable statements: "… the great Messiah who was the founder of the Christian religion, was a Polygamist … the Messiah chose to take upon himself his seed; and by marrying many honorable wives himself, show to all future generations that he approbated the plurality of Wives under the Christian dispensation … God the Father had a plurality of wives … the Son followed the example of his Father … both God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ inherit their wives in eternity as well as in time; …" (The Seer, p. 172)

here is the source: The Seer

go look it up for yourself

Apostle Pratt clearly and eloquently demonstrates this doctrine in an LDS publication. How can you say that
There is no "doctrine" stating that God has many wives.
when there clearly is such a doctrine?

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
Book Review: The 19th Wife « ReviewsbyLola's Blog

If Brigham Young had 50 wives, and he dismissed his wives when they could no longer bear children and replaced them with teen wives who could, how can Mormons claim Brigham Young as a hero?

Because Brigham did no such thing..... The actual facts of history tell a different story.
Those who become enemy's of the Church have a bad habit of not telling the truth of almost anything concerning the Church. They become mentally and morally warped, and then share those fantasy's as truth and reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
L

Light of Jehovah

Hi, Light of Jehovah. I saw your post and wanted to let you know that I used to be a member of the RLDS church. I no longer belong to it, but I posted here as a member for a couple of years. Some of the members remember that there was an RLDS member posting here. LOL.

And when I was a member of the RLDS church, that is what I believed, also.

I love the Community of Christ's approach to praying as a Church for peace among the nations, and the concept of Zion-building (bringing Heaven on Earth), and its general tolerance for those who experience love in different ways. Proclaiming Jesus Christ and building communities of hope, love, and peace is a winning factor in my book.

I do appreciate the Book of Mormon, because I consider it inspirational, and reflective of Christianity in the early 19th century. I do not believe that it should be copyrighted or necessarily belong to any church denomination under any Latter Day Saint branch, but as a book of inspiration, free towards anyone that believes in Christ, even if one has a different understanding of Christ.

For example, I'm an Arian. ;)

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I love the Community of Christ's approach to praying as a Church for peace among the nations, and the concept of Zion-building (bringing Heaven on Earth), and its general tolerance for those who experience love in different ways. Proclaiming Jesus Christ and building communities of hope, love, and peace is a winning factor in my book.

I do appreciate the Book of Mormon, because I consider it inspirational, and reflective of Christianity in the early 19th century. I do not believe that it should be copyrighted or necessarily belong to any church denomination under any Latter Day Saint branch, but as a book of inspiration, free towards anyone that believes in Christ, even if one has a different understanding of Christ.

For example, I'm an Arian. ;)

I believe that there is no copyright on the Book of Mormon anymore. Copyrights expire after about 75 years (if you extend it to the maximum amount of time possible), so anyone can publish the BoM. There are some internal differences between the LDS BoM and the RLDS BoM. The RLDS kept the original chaptering, the LDS shortened the chapters to make it more readable, and there are changes that were made by one or both groups that vary it a little.

I am a little at variance with the RLDS focus (have been for about 10 years now), and it played a minor role in why I left the church. While I don't have a problem with the daily prayer for peace, I do not believe that peace is what Christ called us to. I believe that their focus on peace outshadows their focus on spreading the word. In fact, I wonder if that is even part of their focus. On the whole, if they gave up the Joseph Smith stuff, it wouldn't be too bad, but if they brought the focus on Christ back into the picture, it would be better.

Upvote 0

Darcy23

Nov 23, 2011
Canada
✟7,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is the same - perhaps more complete or whole concept - that anciently the understanding of being "one" with G-d made someone a g-d. In fact when Jesus said he was "one" with the Father he was accused of making himself a g-d. It is most interesting to note how Jesus answered the question in a manner that indicates that being one with G-d does makes someone a g-d.

I realize that for most of Christian history it was believed and practiced to murder anyone with a different religious opinions (in other words believing something different or in other words heresy was a crime punishable by death- so I guess I can understand why you think a "Christian" that believes in Christian traditions cannot discuss such things?

The point is - if you believe in being one with G-d you believe the same things that LDS believe in being a g-d. Those that demand there is some difference are just playing word games.

Son of Zadok

You're wrong. Mormons believe that they will become actual gods, equal to the Father. Joseph Smith taught that God was once a man like us and that he BECAME a God.

Its all right though. Lets be soft on heresy. If someone finds some gold plates tomorrow containing another gospel we can all get together and hold a party in celebration.

Upvote 0

Darcy23

Nov 23, 2011
Canada
✟7,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I listened to Pastor Warren Jeffers (the anti-mormon guy) being interviewed last night. He said mormonism is a cult because it originated not in a divine figure but in a man, Joseph Smith. The interviewer then likened Smith to Paul and made the point that much of orthodox Christianity is the result of Paul and that we Christians have the same faith in Paul that Mormons have in Smith. I thought it was a good point. Smith claimed the angel Moroni visited him and that he found those gold plates which conveniently dissapeared. Paul claimed he was visited by Jesus Christ. I guess the only retort I would make is that Paul seems to more closely reflect the spirit and teachings of Jesus than does Smith. It also makes a lot of sense to me that Christ would visit Paul considering how influential Paul became as a spreader of the gospel and proliferator of the faith.

Its an interesting comparison regardless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
L

Light of Jehovah

I believe that there is no copyright on the Book of Mormon anymore. Copyrights expire after about 75 years (if you extend it to the maximum amount of time possible), so anyone can publish the BoM. There are some internal differences between the LDS BoM and the RLDS BoM. The RLDS kept the original chaptering, the LDS shortened the chapters to make it more readable, and there are changes that were made by one or both groups that vary it a little.

I am a little at variance with the RLDS focus (have been for about 10 years now), and it played a minor role in why I left the church. While I don't have a problem with the daily prayer for peace, I do not believe that peace is what Christ called us to. I believe that their focus on peace outshadows their focus on spreading the word. In fact, I wonder if that is even part of their focus. On the whole, if they gave up the Joseph Smith stuff, it wouldn't be too bad, but if they brought the focus on Christ back into the picture, it would be better.

But they would cease to be Latter Day Saints, now would it? :p

I really like the Book of Mormon. I guess I should start modernising the language so that people can actually read it in English. XD

Upvote 0

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Son of Zadok

Traveler
Dec 9, 2010
Utah - I travel often
✟8,182.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're wrong. Mormons believe that they will become actual gods, equal to the Father. Joseph Smith taught that God was once a man like us and that he BECAME a God.

Its all right though. Lets be soft on heresy. If someone finds some gold plates tomorrow containing another gospel we can all get together and hold a party in celebration.

As a scientist well versed in mathematics - I am quite perplexed by your use of words??? If one claims to be "one" with anything - especially G-d please explain to me how they are not equal? Please do this without changing the meaning of "one" or equal.

You may want to review from ancient scripture (John chapter 10)
verse 30: Jesus declares he is one with G-d the Father
verse 31: The Jews take action to stone Jesus to death
verse 32: Jesus asks why they intend to kill him - for which of his works?
verse 33: The Jews say not because of his works but because of his doctrine of being one with G-d because in claiming to be one with the Father Jesus was making himself a g-d equal to the Father. Please note that your accusation is no different than the Jews in this scripture.

Also note that Jesus corrected them and pointed out that the scriptures clearly teach that men are g-ds (verse 34). So their argument and your argument is proven false by the teachings of Christ - if you believe the Bible.

Please allow me to point out one other very important thing about Joseph Smith and the beliefs of LDS. We believe that Jesus is the example in every way what we need to understand concerning G-d - including G-d the Father.

Thus we LDS believe that the only way to perceive and understand the Father is in the example of Jesus Christ. In the example of Jesus Christ we learn that G-d (Jesus) once was a man. We also learn that the Man Jesus Christ is now G-d that rules as "King of Kings" in the Kingdom of G-d. So it is because of Jesus that we learn G-d was once a man.

So I ask - is knowing Jesus knowing the Father or not? Did Jesus lie?

Son of Zadok

Upvote 0